Thread: The most important aspect of tonight's game moving forward is...

The most important aspect of tonight's game moving forward is...

Austin Howard becoming our starting RT.

For the fans who stated (during the offseason) that we could have already had our starting RT on the roster (not named Hunter) in regards to why our front office addressed a lot of of other aspects, around the RT position... I give credit where credit is due.

When comparing Hunter dating back to last year, even as recent as last week, when in comparison to Austin Howard's performance tonight? It's night and day to say the least. Howard locked up on every outside pass rusher thrown his way during the first half. Looked like a veteran in pass protection. Got out there in run blocking too.

At the age of only 25, with a 6'7, 333 pound frame? Maybe I'm looking for something, anything positive, but this kid looks very, very good. I believe this fan base can actually begin to have some hope in reference to our RT position moving forward.

On more a side note, we're getting everything we could have hoped for with LaRon Landry. Here's a perfect example of a low risk/high reward type of offseason addition. The nay-sayers will state that he's yet to complete an NFL season since injury, but as of right now he's currently healthy. It's obvious that he's recovered from recent injury. He's out there making big time plays, laying down striking hits (Cruz and then tonight injuring Stewart or at least contributing to it), ball hawking in the secondary with INT's, in great physical form (looks like a freak out there), putting pressure on running gaps, being used as a blitzer etc, etc. One hell of an addition. An actual NFL Safety. More like a tackling machine.
    Last edited by TampaBayJet; 08-26-2012 at 10:17 PM.

All Pro
    My main concern - if he was any good, why was there not an open competition at the RT spot during camp?

Either (a) he's not really any good - not an option I like - or (b) our coaching staff didn't see his potential. Again, not a great option, especially long term.

Fully agree on Landry - a pleasant change at safety from our slow, undersized guys. Our secondary could be even better this year. Can't wait!

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Quote Originally Posted by TampaBayJet View Post
    but as of right now he's currently healthy. It's obvious that he's recovered from recent injury.
    Really Philly?

-