Thread: Some positives and negatives

All League

Some positives and negatives

Start with the positives first

1. Austin Howard- Pretty damn good game. He received help from backs at times, and that's good coaching, but when he went 1 on 1, he held up just fine. Charles Johnson is no cupcake either. Very promising performance.

2. The Defense is nasty. Flat out nasty. Kenrick Ellis, Coples, Landry, and Wilkerson all stood out. Scott was part of the blown coverage on their TD, but overall I thought he played alright, especially against the run. I think Bush was out of place on a couple of their third down conversions, so hopefully with Bell back there, some of that stuff gets cleared up.

3. Mark Sanchez. His numbers don't reflect how he played. He looked sharp, looked comfortable, and tooks shots down the field, but didn't force it when it wasn't there. Hopefully once Holmes and Kerley get some more reps, and hopefully Keller comes back healthy, our passing game will come along.

Negatives

1. Red zone offese is obvious. The offense looked much better outside the 20, but once in the red zone, still looked bad. Keller not being in there for those trips had a hand in it tonight, but certainly wasn't the only cause. One thing I hope fans keep in mind about the RZ offense right now, is that one of the Jets biggest threats in the RZ, Tebow, isn't being used in those situations. Hopefully he can help out in the RZ, or some of those short yardage situations.

2. Running game. I don't think this was a total negativem but it needs to get better. The run blocking is very inconsistant. The RB's are not blameless, but I think our RB's are effective enough when the blocking is there.

3. Kyle Wlson. This guy has had plenty of time to get better, and he hasn't really. He's not a complete liability in the Nickel, but he's far from a solid performer.

All in all I at least have some hope going forward for the offense, and the season in general, as I think the defense will keep up in a lot of games. I think we had questions answered about the willingness to go down field, and the RT spot. Still have glaring questions in the WR position, and the RZ offense.

Quote Originally Posted by iahawkeyejet View Post

1. Austin Howard- Pretty damn good game. He received help from backs at times, and that's good coaching, but when he went 1 on 1, he held up just fine. Charles Johnson is no cupcake either. Very promising performance.

2. The Defense is nasty. Flat out nasty. Kenrick Ellis, Coples, Landry, and Wilkerson all stood out. Scott was part of the blown coverage on their TD, but overall I thought he played alright, especially against the run. I think Bush was out of place on a couple of their third down conversions, so hopefully with Bell back there, some of that stuff gets cleared up.

3. Mark Sanchez. His numbers don't reflect how he played. He looked sharp, looked comfortable, and tooks shots down the field, but didn't force it when it wasn't there. Hopefully once Holmes and Kerley get some more reps, and hopefully Keller comes back healthy, our passing game will come along.

Negatives

1. Red zone offese is obvious. The offense looked much better outside the 20, but once in the red zone, still looked bad. Keller not being in there for those trips had a hand in it tonight, but certainly wasn't the only cause. One thing I hope fans keep in mind about the RZ offense right now, is that one of the Jets biggest threats in the RZ, Tebow, isn't being used in those situations. Hopefully he can help out in the RZ, or some of those short yardage situations.

2. Running game. I don't think this was a total negativem but it needs to get better. The run blocking is very inconsistant. The RB's are not blameless, but I think our RB's are effective enough when the blocking is there.

3. Kyle Wlson. This guy has had plenty of time to get better, and he hasn't really. He's not a complete liability in the Nickel, but he's far from a solid performer.

All in all I at least have some hope going forward for the offense, and the season in general, as I think the defense will keep up in a lot of games. I think we had questions answered about the willingness to go down field, and the RT spot. Still have glaring questions in the WR position, and the RZ offense.
    Kyle Wilson just doesn't have great ball skills or instincts. He's sort of like Justin Miller in that regard. And there were people here last year saying that he was better than Cromartie.

All League
    Meant to include WR drops in the negatives.

Spot on with all of your observations. Something that really bugged me was Hill smiling on those drops. Seems like he should be a little bit upset but whatever.

And Coples is a beast. Hope he goes all out like this every down he's in.

Quote Originally Posted by detectivekimble View Post
    Kyle Wilson just doesn't have great ball skills or instincts. He's sort of like Justin Miller in that regard. And there were people here last year saying that he was better than Cromartie.
    I think he has all the physical tools. I don't think he has it upstairs. He could be a good corner when he doesn't hesitate to process his assignment.

Sanchez played very well, but that won't stop the media from their bull****, and fans booing him and not having a clue.

Dropped passes on the one drive by Holmes and Hill, the PF penalty on Slauson killed nice looking drives.

Not having his 3 top TE's also hurt bigtime, especially in the RZ, the TE is huge in the RZ.

Good showing, hopefully Keller's hamstring is only minor, and I'm worried about that Baker injury, it's a shame, I thought he'd have a nice role in the offense this year.

Jets Insider VIP

Negatives

Agreed with all of this.

Sanchez looked damn good out there tonight. Night and day compared to what I saw last year and the first two preseason games. Looked confident and wasn't hesitant to let the ball fly.

This team will live and die with Sanchez. It's clear that we aren't built to be a ground and pound team, regardless of what Rex and Tannenbaum say.

#93 is an animal and must be an every down player.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by ASH_1962 View Post
    #93 is an animal and must be an every down player.
    If Ellis keeps it up then I expect Pouha to be let go at seasons end.

Quote Originally Posted by dubnick55 View Post
    Spot on with all of your observations. Something that really bugged me was Hill smiling on those drops. Seems like he should be a little bit upset but whatever.

And Coples is a beast. Hope he goes all out like this every down he's in.
    Drops from a young receiver or fumbles from a young running back don't totally bother me because a lot of times it's a concentration and experience thing. It's one of those negatives that you can a lot of times improve upon as you mature.

Gotta have better hands than that, but I thought besides that he looked good tonight. He definitely had better chemistry with Sanchez which is a major plus. LOVED that we took chances down the field tonight even though we had a few misses. IMHO, chunk yardage plays will be the biggest determinant if we have a terrible offense this year or as good as a middle of the pack one.

Positives:
    I didn't go to the game.
    Mark Sanchez
    Austin Howard
    Defense

Negatives
    i pay for preseason along with my season tickets
    Tim Tebow and everybody else on offense

I actually came away from the game feeling alot better than I did going in. I have to be honest, my biggest concern is Shonn Greene at this point. He has zero burst or vision. Hell even on his one decent run he was looking around like he was trying to find someone to run into. If we are truly going to be a running team he needs to either play better or be replaced. Hill is a rookie, he's going to make mistakes. He also runs pretty poor routes right now so he's definitely going to have a learning curve. Holmes needs to step up. That drop was unacceptable and would have been a TD.

All League
    I wish Jordan White got more than ONE SNAP with the first team offense.

Bilal Powell has to get more carries (although the issue looks to be run blocking in general...we need more Vlad Ducasse, I'm not ashamed to say it).

I also hope we air it out more when it's obvious the run stuff is not working. Just because Sanchez struggled as a rookie...and was limited by a zero-speed receiving group last year...does NOT mean he can't still air it out now that he has experience.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by JamaicanJetFan View Post
    we need more Vlad Ducasse, I'm not ashamed to say it).
    +1

Aside from Hunter, Brandon Moore has looked like our worst OL this preseason.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    +1

When your guard are below average, its hard to be a power running team that only runs up the middle.

Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    +1

And last season.

Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post
    I actually came away from the game feeling alot better than I did going in. I have to be honest, my biggest concern is Shonn Greene at this point. He has zero burst or vision. Hell even on his one decent run he was looking around like he was trying to find someone to run into. If we are truly going to be a running team he needs to either play better or be replaced. Hill is a rookie, he's going to make mistakes. He also runs pretty poor routes right now so he's definitely going to have a learning curve. Holmes needs to step up. That drop was unacceptable and would have been a TD.
    No vision, poor hands, and once again he was dinged up on a run where he should have been delivering the punishment. Greene is the epitome of average, and it's hard to expect much more out of him than we saw last year.

Have to hope that Rex is as high as he is on Powell for a good reason. This team gets better if one of the other RBs outplays Greene into the starting role.

once the jets O starts game planning. tebow and greene are going to start putting a ton of points on the bboard. rex and sparano are not showing what the o has planned. keep the defense surprised. the O will be fine

Positives:
    Howard.....did fine
    Sanchez......looked poised and confident
    Powell.....this dude is quick and might start before not too long
    Ellis
    Coples.....along with Big Mo this DL should be ferocious
    Scott....despite all the negatives on this site, he was hitting everything in sight
    Hill......he's gonna be a decent NFL wideout
    Landry....changes the face of the D

Negatives:
    Hunter, again
    Injuries
    Depth

I, too, came away feeling much better about this team. Lets see where we are after a few games before jumping off the bridge.