Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Kenrick Ellis is salty

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    We save something like $4 million against the cap if we release Pouha after this season. And in an offseason where we're going to have to make a big decision regarding Revis and have a bunch of guys scheduled to hit FA, that's money we could use.

Pouha has been good for us over the past 3 years, but we're talking about a guy who will be 34 years old at the end of the season and is now having back issues.

I'm all for having depth at the position, but we don't need that kind of money invested in a backup NT.

Pouha is a damn good run stuffer, but Ellis is a young beast who has the potential to not only blow up the run and take on double teams, but a guy who can collapse the pocket and put pressure on the QB. That's extremely rare in a noseguard.
    #1 Depth is awesome

Also, the Jets had no idea Coples would fall to them. What if they didn't resign Pouha and Coples didn't fall. Then they would have no D-Line. And don't discount having a veteran at the position to teach the younger players the nuances of the game and of the defense.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ozu View Post
    No no no. Pouha was an absolutely necessary signing considering his production and Ellis being considered very raw as of 1 month ago. He also signed a very team friendly deal on the eve of FA and probably could've gotten another $5-10m on the open market.

Our D-Line is certainly stacked though and some team if going to get a bargain from whichever bubble guy in MTV, Richardson, or Harrison are cut.

IMO, MTV should be the first to go out of those 3.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    If only we could now draft skill position players the way we have our d-line.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ellis flashed in his limited snaps last season and having no off season training last year probably hurt his development. You have to be blind not to see his potential right now and is a luxury as a rotational player.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    One thing I like about Ellis is that he always has his hands up and has had a few deflections already

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    did he manhandle kalil?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    IMO, MTV should be the first to go out of those 3.
    agreed. the run defense did not hold up with MTV in the middle last night.

by all accounts Harrison has had a very strong camp and Richardson has played very well in PS. I think MTV has the least potential of the three.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ellis does a great job batting balls at the line. Uses his length and height very well!

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dunbar was the best addition to this team. The D-line penetration is like night and day from last year.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan920 View Post
    Dunbar was the best addition to this team. The D-line penetration is like night and day from last year.
    Agreed.

Conversely, I'm concerned that DeGuglielmo may have been the worst addition.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetPotato View Post
    If only we could now draft skill position players the way we have our d-line.
    No, Rex will continue building his super unit, the man is obsessed with defenses. He will continue to stockpile talent on defense while the offense is neglected.

BTW Ellis will turn out to be a better selection than Wilkerson, guy has Jenkins-like potential.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AceBoy View Post
    No, Rex will continue building his super unit, the man is obsessed with defenses. He will continue to stockpile talent on defense while the offense is neglected.

BTW Ellis will turn out to be a better selection than Wilkerson, guy has Jenkins-like potential.
    This is my fear going forward as well. We'll probably stock up on linebackers in the next two drafts, as that appears to be the only weakness of the D. Expect about a decade of 6-3 games.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    did he manhandle kalil?
    No. Certainly not. But he held his own and made some very disruptive plays. Good night all around.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AceBoy View Post

I said this right after he was drafted (go ahead, search the board ) that this guy was similar to a young Albert Haynesworth and that he was the Jets best pick. He's a tall guy with these freakishly big, powerful hands. Just like a young Haynesworth. (Young Haynesworth was a bit quicker, though, because he carried less weight than Ellis). I'm not sure if they have similar mental makeups, but they've both been known to beat people with foreign objects. A mean streak, perhaps?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by detectivekimble View Post
    I said this right after he was drafted (go ahead, search the board ) that this guy was similar to a young Albert Haynesworth and that he was the Jets best pick. He's a tall guy with these freakishly big, powerful hands. Just like a young Haynesworth. (Young Haynesworth was a bit quicker, though, because he carried less weight than Ellis). I'm not sure if they have similar mental makeups, but they've both been known to beat people with foreign objects. A mean streak, perhaps?
    Haynesworth turned into a bit of a prima donna. I hope Ellis doesn't follow THAT trait.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't know why anyone is surprised by his recent play. He was very good whenever he got opportunities last year. He is still a year away from being a big time player though. I really like what i see form this kid.

I haven't seen Pouha make a single impact play his entire time with the Jets. He's definitely serviceable but by no means anything bug a JAG NT.

I like the rotation this year keeping both fresh, and next year letting pouha go and bring in another young NT.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by detectivekimble View Post
    I think it's a pretty big leap of logic to associate Kenrick Ellis with a douchebag DT that might have had a few very good years. Then, he suddenly believed his sh*t didn't stink and barked about money and got lazy on his coach.

Kenrick Ellis is still a very young player with a lot of upside. He got himself into some trouble in college. Based on what details I've heard? I don't blame him one bit for what he did.

He also has the NYJ and Rex Ryan in particular to thank for giving him an opportunity. He likely would not have been taken anywhere near the 3rd round if the Jets hadn't taken him. He probably feels a sense of loyalty to the NYJ and probably would not deviate from any normal behavior. He just wants to make the organization happy for picking him.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am very pleased with the DL.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post

Kenrick Ellis is salty
    I'm glad Kelly didn't start this thread title.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Kenrick Ellis was probably the best DT prospect last year coming into the draft. The only reason he dropped was his off field incident given the possibility of deportation. The guy is a bonafide stud.