Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Man its tough to keep your head up.....

Man its tough to keep your head up.....

I own a bar/restaurant in Huntington Beach, Ca. Been around 4 years, its 80's hard rock themed and we do pretty well, but like everyone else now a days, its a challenge to keep the doors open, keep employees, and keep people happy.
    Since we opened we have done penny beers for every Jet TD and have made some new Jet fans.
    Last month I decided to do a meet up.com for the games. Got contacted but some OC Jet fan club that I had no idea existed. Said they wanted to come in and check it out for a pre season game (tonight) they had no home and thought we'd be perfect for the season, this was Tuesday. My response- great, the more the merrier, so on, so forth. Never had done anything for pre season games and hadn't planned to, but was needless to say, grateful.
    Made an exclusive Jet menu, all my girls went out and bought Jet jerseys, knee high socks, etc. Hired an MC who was going to play music, do trivia during breaks, half time, etc. Wanted to make it an experience. Some of you old timers know I'm in the business, the guy I got is great, warms up crowd for one of the late night shows......
    Anyhow, tons of prep, extra employees.....no call, no show. I text the guy, gets back to me a little bit ago and said they decided to go somewhere else that guys thought would be better for their group. There's not a Jet bar around. I tell him cool, no hard feelings, etc........

But man, I gotta say, what the eff is wrong with people...Is there no longer any consideration what so ever? Just seems as though this is has become acceptable behavior.

BTW- I feel alot more at ease about the Jets, and will be sitting at my bar week after week with the same people who have been there the last 4 years........

All League
    Thats fcked up. Sorry that happened. I live in San Diego and am going to be around your area next month. PM the name of your bar. I'll drink enough to make up for those losers.

Thanks man.....
    Sorry for the venting....
    Its Rockin Crepes
    8943 Atlanta Ave
    In Huntington
    Your drinks are on me, ask for Frank

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyShuler View Post
    I own a bar/restaurant in Huntington Beach, Ca. Been around 4 years, its 80's hard rock themed and we do pretty well, but like everyone else now a days, its a challenge to keep the doors open, keep employees, and keep people happy.
    Since we opened we have done penny beers for every Jet TD and have made some new Jet fans.
    Last month I decided to do a meet up.com for the games. Got contacted but some OC Jet fan club that I had no idea existed. Said they wanted to come in and check it out for a pre season game (tonight) they had no home and thought we'd be perfect for the season, this was Tuesday. My response- great, the more the merrier, so on, so forth. Never had done anything for pre season games and hadn't planned to, but was needless to say, grateful.
    Made an exclusive Jet menu, all my girls went out and bought Jet jerseys, knee high socks, etc. Hired an MC who was going to play music, do trivia during breaks, half time, etc. Wanted to make it an experience. Some of you old timers know I'm in the business, the guy I got is great, warms up crowd for one of the late night shows......
    Anyhow, tons of prep, extra employees.....no call, no show. I text the guy, gets back to me a little bit ago and said they decided to go somewhere else that guys thought would be better for their group. There's not a Jet bar around. I tell him cool, no hard feelings, etc........

But man, I gotta say, what the eff is wrong with people...Is there no longer any consideration what so ever? Just seems as though this is has become acceptable behavior.

BTW- I feel alot more at ease about the Jets, and will be sitting at my bar week after week with the same people who have been there the last 4 years........

Have to ask, did you actually tell the guy that you were going to do some, any, or all of that stuff in preparation for them ?

All League
    jetsrangers on this site runs the San Diego meetups. He might know these oc guys. I'll let him know so he can tell them to man up and make this right.

All League
    Yep, prick move. Hope they read this website and realize what a prick move it was.

At this point, I'm kind of failing to see where it was a prick move. Guy called looking for a place to hang out, then found somewhere else.

What's missing is any indication that the dude was told "Hey, love to have you, I'll go out and spend some money to make sure that you all have a good time" and that the guy said "ok, you do that and we'll be there".

Quote Originally Posted by Demosthenes9 View Post
    Have to ask, did you actually tell the guy that you were going to do some, any, or all of that stuff in preparation for them ?
    Penny beers, bar menu, yes... didn't mention the mc or that the girls all had jerseys, just thought it'd be a nice touch......

sucks

Quote Originally Posted by Demosthenes9 View Post
    At this point, I'm kind of failing to see where it was a prick move. Guy called looking for a place to hang out, then found somewhere else.

What's missing is any indication that the dude was told "Hey, love to have you, I'll go out and spend some money to make sure that you all have a good time" and that the guy said "ok, you do that and we'll be there".
    Just another example of why we suck as human beings.......
    Man, I really love my dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by iahawkeyejet View Post
    Yep, prick move. Hope they read this website and realize what a prick move it was.
    yep.

Penny beers, bar menu, yes... didn't mention the mc or that the girls all had jerseys, just thought it'd be a nice touch......

sucks
    Yeah, definitely does suck. That said, I just don't see where the guy had any inkling that you were going to the trouble/expense that you did, or that he made any real firm commitment.

Quote Originally Posted by TokyoJetsFan View Post
    jetsrangers on this site runs the San Diego meetups. He might know these oc guys. I'll let him know so he can tell them to man up and make this right.
    I appreciate it, but I'm fine just moving on. Was just venting...
    I'll either be around or not with or without these guys....
    Just wanted to have a great atmosphere for Jet fans to watch the game.

Jets Insider VIP
    Since we opened we have done penny beers for every Jet TD and have made some new Jet fans...
    That shouldn't make too much of a dent in your budget.

Bewildered Beast
    Just another example of why we suck as human beings.......
    Man, I really love my dogs.
    +1

and +1 on the dogs too

Veteran

Did they actually book reservations or just call to feel things out?

Better luck next time.

All League

I live in Central California, but I am around your area a lot during weekends and always looking for a bar to watch the games. I will definitely check your place out for a couple of Jets games this year.

Is this the "real LA Jets fans" who did that?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

You should be commended for putting that much effort into the night, any businessman willing to go all out for his customers that way deserves a successful business.

Any JIer's out there be sure to tell your friends about Mickeys place (please post the name and address)

edit here it is

Rockin Crepes
    8943 Atlanta Ave
    In Huntington Beach CA
    Last edited by jetswin; 08-27-2012 at 02:44 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    I appreciate it, but I'm fine just moving on. Was just venting...
    I'll either be around or not with or without these guys....
    Just wanted to have a great atmosphere for Jet fans to watch the game.
    I am sorry to hear about your aggravation. Usually Jets fans are in a minority and stick together. For that guy to do that, he has got to be a real wack-job! I live in Florida but if I ever get that way, I want to buy you a drink for what that idiot put you through! GO JETS!

JetsInsider.com Legend
    That IS a letdown. Sorry to hear that happened.

Sounds like the group didn't know you were going to all that trouble.

Perhaps, next time, should a similar situation arise, let them know what you're planning. That way they'll "play their hand" a bit more one way or the other.

On a side note, I think we would all love to see pictures of your girls in their jerseys and knee highs