Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jets are the first team in 35 years to not score TD in first 3 pre season games

Jets Insider VIP
    We have Tony Sparano as our offensive coordinator. This lack of production should have been expected by all of us.

Ive said it before, when the Dolphins were 0-7 last year, what would you have said if i told you that Tony Sparano was going to run our offense in 2012?

Well, thats who we have running our offense.

What could it mean?

Lot of 9 to 6 snoozers coming up.

Rookie
    That and $2.25 will get you on the subway.

I would wait a few games and see how the offense does and how Tony adjusts to stalls and turnovers before I declare things a failure. Game planning and countering game plans can change things a lot.

Jets Insider VIP
    We'll win last preseason game 35-20 and there'll be 10 "McElroy should be starting!" threads on Monday.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    We have Tony Sparano as our offensive coordinator. This lack of production should have been expected by all of us.

Ive said it before, when the Dolphins were 0-7 last year, what would you have said if i told you that Tony Sparano was going to run our offense in 2012?

So when they were 11-5 in 08 was that because of Sparano??

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by RaoulDuke View Post
    We'll win last preseason game 35-20 and there'll be 10 "McElroy should be starting!" threads on Monday.
    Sad but true.

Tony Sparano was not running the offense in Miami. ... he was the head coach. And when Sparano did call plays for Dallas in 2006, they scored the third most points in the league. Do a little research before just blurting things out. And their RB was Julius Jones!

Jets Insider VIP
    Tony Sparano was not running the offense in Miami. ... he was the head coach.
    Thats like saying Rex is not running the defense here. Get a clue.

Yup, even for a 'ground and pound' coach the phins were top 10 in rushing only one of the 4 years he was there. Just another example of a coach/player that is laughed at and mocked on these forums for being a bum on one of our rivals but the moment he joins the jets people toss rose petals at his fee and think the guy is great.

Quote Originally Posted by BamaJets View Post
    Tony Sparano was not running the offense in Miami. ... he was the head coach. And when Sparano did call plays for Dallas in 2006, they scored the third most points in the league. Do a little research before just blurting things out. And their RB was Julius Jones!
    So wtf would we hire him as an oc if he had so little to do with the offense? In any case we know that the Jets O is going to be top 10 because they got rid of the person responsible for all of the offenses ills, that being shotty.

Jets Insider VIP
    Do a little research before just blurting things out.
    Sparano was the offensive play-caller for Dallas in 2006, but ceded the responsibilities to new offensive coordinator Jason Garrett the following season.

So Parcells demoted him after one year of play calling. And i'm the one that needs to be doing research?

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectre View Post
    Question: If the Jet Offense can't score against a vanilla D in preseason, how will they do better in the regular season where there is game planning by the Defense?
    yeah....this ^ is what bothers me....

those who say that we are running a vanilla offense and we will run a much different (aka better) offense in the regular season are in for a big disappointment IMO.

vanilla preseason offense against a vanilla preseason defense....i expect SOMETHING to look good every once in a while.....but I have not seen that in terms of putting up points or even a FLASH of brilliance...

Our running game looks horrid...with a ground & pound philosophy we're going to be in trouble unless half our offensive players turn into supermen overnight.

Sparano was the offensive play-caller for Dallas in 2006, but ceded the responsibilities to new offensive coordinator Jason Garrett the following season.

So Parcells demoted him after one year of play calling. And i'm the one that needs to be doing research?
    he wasn't demoted by Parcells because Parcells was already gone. Phillips was the coach by then and brought in his "own guys" (jerry Jones' guys, too). Sparano was a Parcells guy, Parcells brought him to Dallas, then brought him in to be the head coach in Miami. Sparano was only "demoted" because Phillips/Jones wanted Garrett, the former Cowboy. Sparano was not demoted because he couldn't call plays, Dallas scored 27 ppg his OC season. Don't get all your info from wikipedia or ESPN or wherever you got this.

Jets Insider VIP
    he wasn't demoted by Parcells because Parcells was already gone. Phillips was the coach by then and brought in his "own guys" (jerry Jones' guys, too). Sparano was a Parcells guy, Parcells brought him to Dallas, then brought him in to be the head coach in Miami. Sparano was only "demoted" because Phillips/Jones wanted Garrett, the former Cowboy. Sparano was not demoted because he couldn't call plays, Dallas scored 27 ppg his OC season. Don't get all your info from wikipedia or ESPN or wherever you got this.
    Ok. I thought parcells was still there in 07. Makes sense phillips wanted his own guys.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    So wtf would we hire him as an oc if he had so little to do with the offense? In any case we know that the Jets O is going to be top 10 because they got rid of the person responsible for all of the offenses ills, that being shotty.
    Because the guy has done more than just coach a talent barren Dolphin team?

What really aggravated me last night was that we start off with two nice long completions from Mark that took us into Carolina territory, we were getting solid protection for Mark......and then we (a team they can't run) start running, effectively killing the drive.

Seriously? I know Rex loves ground and pound, but it doesn't work when you can't run the ball. And what's worse is we have a QB who can pass and a line who can (now) protect that QB and we're not putting it to use.

Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    What really aggravated me last night was that we start off with two nice long completions from Mark that took us into Carolina territory, we were getting solid protection for Mark......and then we (a team they can't run) start running, effectively killing the drive.

Seriously? I know Rex loves ground and pound, but it doesn't work when you can't run the ball. And what's worse is we have a QB who can pass and a line who can (now) protect that QB and we're not putting it to use.
    What do you want in Pre-season, us to run a no-huddle run-and shoot all-pass O all game?

IT'S PRESEASON!!!!

Keep repeating that till you get what the purpose of preseason is. Hint, it's not to have Sanchez throw 56 times in 3 quarters.

There is not enough facepalms gif's on the entire internet to adequately cover Jets Fans this summer.