Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shonn Greene...

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    courtesy of IAHawkeyeJet:

Generally in a gap blocking scheme, that's kind of what you want out of your RB. Get to the whole and hit it hard, with minimal dancing and cutbacks.

I may be a little biased, but I try to stay as objective as possible with Greene. He certainly isn't much of a threat to make people miss, but he's also a threat to turn a one yard run into a 3 yard run, which McKnight and Powell aren't. The OL has done well at times tonight creating nice holes, but they've also had some difficulty blocking in the run game, both physically blocking and with an assignment or too.
    i thought this was a great assessment and was probably lost in the shuffle

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    MJD ! MJD !

Is there a reason why we keep trying to Pass Rush on the first down?
    If it didn't work the first 30 times why do they continue to do it?

Not sure what Sparano's master plan is here.
    Maybe Greene is a trojan horse waiting to wake up

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gata View Post
    MJD ! MJD !

Is there a reason why we keep trying to Pass Rush on the first down?
    If it didn't work the first 30 times why do they continue to do it?

Not sure what Sparano's master plan is here.
    Maybe Greene is a trojan horse waiting to wake up
    I hate to say it, but that's probably as awake Greene will be all year

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Greene is a bruiser. He can't make any cuts. Not a shifty RB. He looks slow. Why Mcknight doesnt get an opportunity is beyond me. The dude seems like a playmaker which Greene is not.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Heineken08 View Post
    Greene is a bruiser. He can't make any cuts. Not a shifty RB. He looks slow. Why Mcknight doesnt get an opportunity is beyond me. The dude seems like a playmaker which Greene is not.
    McKnight is a professional athlete in his mid-twenties who somehow has shin splints???????? Not sure how that is even possible given his entire life should be dedicated to being in top physical shape.

That probably has a lot to do with why he wasnt on the field last night.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rangenius View Post
    As bad as Greene has looked, I would really like to see Tebow work with the 1s. Sanchez is awful, he can't get us in the end zone. Imagine how bad he would be with the 2s and 3s Tebow is working with. yikes.
    I'm going to build a time machine (how is not important). I will then go back to before you were born and punch your mom.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    He's starting to remind me a lot of Thomas Jones his last year here as a starter. Here comes the 3.3 yard avg.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOne View Post
    courtesy of IAHawkeyeJet:

i thought this was a great assessment and was probably lost in the shuffle
    +1. If you put greene behind the 10 oline you'd get the same results you got in the play offs. The problem is we're not opening up any holes up the middle which is where we are trying to power run. Greene is not a shifty back, and doesn't have the speed to reach the corner.

Greene is the perfect back for a ground and pound team. Our O-line isn't however.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by InsideBlitz View Post
    Greene isn't any better than Green Ellis was for New England.

This franchise was inept for releasing Thomas Jones and they're still paying for it.
    Um yeah, Im gonna have to disagree with you there.

Jones was donezito when we released him.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by InsideBlitz View Post
    Greene isn't any better than Green Ellis was for New England.

This franchise was inept for releasing Thomas Jones and they're still paying for it.
    What are you talking about. Thomas was well over the hill and we needed more of a scat back because Leon couldn't stay healthy. LT looked better the last 2 years then Jones. Charles was out most of last year and Jones was horrid. McKnight fills that roll now and he is young and has some good

Greene has looked good this preseason. He gets very little run blocking from Conner. That boy has to go. Sanchez also doesn't know how to roll out of a hand off. Last night I kept comparing his hand offs to Cam's and it was night and day. With Cam you could never tell if he actually handed the ball off and he rolled out like he normally would on a pass. Sanchez just presented himself and turns away from the play. Not a huge deal but it doesn't help the run game. I don't remember him doing that his 1st 2 years. He has a great play action so you'd think he can fake it the other way better.

Greene is doing his job and getting good yards after 10 carries which is what he does. He wears down the DL and by the half starts moving the lines. The more caries you give him the higher his yards per carry will be. He is way better then Powell. You simply can't look at his stats after 9-13 touches and say he is not doing his job. I am shocked he has looked as good as he has in the passing game too. If you told me he would be doing that 2 years ago I'd call you nuts. I'm glad we have a back like him he is going to have a good year. Too bad there is 0 chance he resigns.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Funaz View Post
    +1. If you put greene behind the 10 oline you'd get the same results you got in the play offs. The problem is we're not opening up any holes up the middle which is where we are trying to power run. Greene is not a shifty back, and doesn't have the speed to reach the corner.
    Which is why he sucks - too many limitations.

Greene is the perfect back for a ground and pound team. Our O-line isn't however.
    Since when is "ground and pound" defined by straight ahead carries?

It's not. Greene just happens to suck at those too.

You miss the point that when Greene has open holes he still doesn't utilize them like a skilled RB would.

Everything he does is slow and minimal.

The problem is Greene not the OL.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Greene is not the best back in the NFL, no he is not. But over the final 3/4 of the season (not counting the Denver game when he left with an injury after 3 carries early in the first qtr), Greene was 199 carries for 887 yards (4.46 per carry and 80.6 yards per game) with 5 TDs in 11 games. With zero fumbles lost. In fact, he didn't lose a fumble all season. Greene and Peterson were the only RBs with at least 200 carries who didn't lose a fumble.

So complain all you want about him, but he's not as bad as everyone says. Those who say Greene is awful, maybe take a closer look before you declare him the worst RB in the league. Does he have great moves or is he a big "home run" hitter? Not really. But I'll take 4.5 per carry and no fumbles. I bet a lot of other teams would, too.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetrider View Post
    Which is why he sucks - too many limitations.

Since when is "ground and pound" defined by straight ahead carries?

It's not. Greene just happens to suck at those too.

You miss the point that when Greene has open holes he still doesn't utilize them like a skilled RB would.

Everything he does is slow and minimal.

The problem is Greene not the OL.
    The type of running we are trying to do fits perfectly with Greene's abilities. Green is not running through gaping holes. As someone stated the gap blocking scheme is designed for straight ahead downhill running. We just aren't getting any push. The one nice whole the O-lined opened up Green got 10+ yards.

Greene is not good at a cut-back running, and hitting the edge, but he is good for what are trying to do, we just aren't doing it very well.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaJets View Post
    Greene is not the best back in the NFL, no he is not. But over the final 3/4 of the season (not counting the Denver game when he left with an injury after 3 carries early in the first qtr), Greene was 199 carries for 887 yards (4.46 per carry and 80.6 yards per game) with 5 TDs in 11 games. With zero fumbles lost. In fact, he didn't lose a fumble all season. Greene and Peterson were the only RBs with at least 200 carries who didn't lose a fumble.

So complain all you want about him, but he's not as bad as everyone says. Those who say Greene is awful, maybe take a closer look before you declare him the worst RB in the league. Does he have great moves or is he a big "home run" hitter? Not really. But I'll take 4.5 per carry and no fumbles. I bet a lot of other teams would, too.
    it's not his running. it's his minimal impact in the passing game. the jets don't have great wrs and now are thin at TE. if they use a RB a lot of the time who has trouble catching and isn't that fast, they've used another skill position on a guy who can't create mismatches. they need more speed on the field, and i hope they use mcknight more, and powell too, if he's as good as they're saying.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Funaz View Post
    The type of running we are trying to do fits perfectly with Greene's abilities. Green is not running through gaping holes. As someone stated the gap blocking scheme is designed for straight ahead downhill running. We just aren't getting any push. The one nice whole the O-lined opened up Green got 10+ yards.

Greene is not good at a cut-back running, and hitting the edge, but he is good for what are trying to do, we just aren't doing it very well.
    Except that most RBs in the league would have the same results when running through that hole. The above average RBs get 20+ plus yards with those types of holes. Greene is exceedingly ordinary as a RB.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rangenius View Post
    As bad as Greene has looked, I would really like to see Tebow work with the 1s. Sanchez is awful, he can't get us in the end zone. Imagine how bad he would be with the 2s and 3s Tebow is working with. yikes.
    I have nothing against him but Tebow is bloody awful. Kinda wonder what games you have been watching if you think he should start over Sanchez.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Except that most RBs in the league would have the same results when running through that hole. The above average RBs get 20+ plus yards with those types of holes. Greene is exceedingly ordinary as a RB.
    he gets no plus yards. he doesn't get more than you'd expect on a given play.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    it's not his running. it's his minimal impact in the passing game. the jets don't have great wrs and now are thin at TE. if they use a RB a lot of the time who has trouble catching and isn't that fast, they've used another skill position on a guy who can't create mismatches. they need more speed on the field, and i hope they use mcknight more, and powell too, if he's as good as they're saying.
    we really don't know how Greene is in the passing game. He did catch 30 passes last season, good but not great. but LT has been the receiving back for the Jets the past 2 seasons, he was the one getting all the passes. we don't know what we have in Greene. He has dropped a few before, but everyone is acting like he couldn't catch a ball to save his life. we'll see but to say he adds nothing in the passing game probably isn't correct. I think he'd get an incomplete thus far. he has never been a full-time back in the passing game.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Greene is what he is at this point. Everything you said about him is correct. HE MAKES NOBODY MISS. The last guy that missed him was Cromartie.

I would like to see McKnight get more chances but it looks like the coaches are reluctant. I think it relates to his ball security issues. He is our only RB that is capable of being a "HR hitter" but he does not protect the ball. He carries it low and lets it get away from his body.

Powell showed a nice move last night on a run that was negated by a holding call. I think he is going to get some chances.

Tebow and Greene will end up with the bulk of the carries during the regular season. But I would rather have Sanchez be able to hand the ball off to someone in a traditional offense than have him come off the field and put Tebow in.
    McKnight led the NFL in KR yardage last year. What fumble problem? If he had a huge fumble problem it would have surfaced during kick returns. Greene has also had an issue with fumbling in the past. Many young rbs have that issue. They do work out of it and if they don't they get cut. Maybe the Jets, like some fans, are down on McKnight because he"threw up" three years ago!
    Last edited by Kentucky Jet; 08-27-2012 at 11:55 AM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaJets View Post
    we really don't know how Greene is in the passing game. He did catch 30 passes last season, good but not great. but LT has been the receiving back for the Jets the past 2 seasons, he was the one getting all the passes. we don't know what we have in Greene. He has dropped a few before, but everyone is acting like he couldn't catch a ball to save his life. we'll see but to say he adds nothing in the passing game probably isn't correct. I think he'd get an incomplete thus far. he has never been a full-time back in the passing game.
    we do know what he brings to the passing game. they've thrown it to him enough times in 3 years. he's not a dynamic runner and is less of a threat catching it b/c he is running routes and isn't a natural pass catcher. the team may ultimately be better with powell as the rb and tebow/mcknight out there since they can make guys miss. also, when the jets are in hurry up they don/'t use greene either. he's not versatile.