Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shonn Greene...

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Shonn Greene...

...is a fullback masquerading as a halfback imho.

He has no shake, he speed has diminished since his rookie campaign, and if a defender is five yards away coming at him you can rest assured Shonn is going to go hit him. He is a good back, however I don't think he should be number one, I don't think we have a number one on the team right now. He just lowers his shoulder on every carry, no stiff arm, no jukes (or at least a shimmy of some sort). This combined with the fact that he has a tendency to run into his blockers at the LOS makes me wonder just how well our running game is going to perform this season. I would not be surprised to see the Jets fall back into passing first if Sanchez gets time like he did last night.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by jetswin View Post
    ...is a fullback masquerading as a halfback imho.

He has no shake, he speed has diminished since his rookie campaign, and if a defender is five yards away coming at him you can rest assured Shonn is going to go hit him. He is a good back, however I don't think he should be number one, I don't think we have a number one on the team right now. He just lowers his shoulder on every carry, no stiff arm, no jukes (or at least a shimmy of some sort). This combined with the fact that he has a tendency to run into his blockers at the LOS makes me wonder just how well our running game is going to perform this season. I would not be surprised to see the Jets fall back into passing first if Sanchez gets time like he did last night.
    It was pretty pathetic watching him attempt to do a juke last night only to lose about 5 yards

Veteran
    As bad as Greene has looked, I would really like to see Tebow work with the 1s. Sanchez is awful, he can't get us in the end zone. Imagine how bad he would be with the 2s and 3s Tebow is working with. yikes.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rangenius View Post
    As bad as Greene has looked, I would really like to see Tebow work with the 1s. Sanchez is awful, he can't get us in the end zone. Imagine how bad he would be with the 2s and 3s Tebow is working with. yikes.
    This thread is about Shonn Greene please, there are hundred of other threads to trash Sanchez (who looked terrific last night, not sure what you are talking about) in.

thanks

Hall Of Fame
    Greene is what he is at this point. Everything you said about him is correct. HE MAKES NOBODY MISS. The last guy that missed him was Cromartie.

I would like to see McKnight get more chances but it looks like the coaches are reluctant. I think it relates to his ball security issues. He is our only RB that is capable of being a "HR hitter" but he does not protect the ball. He carries it low and lets it get away from his body.

Powell showed a nice move last night on a run that was negated by a holding call. I think he is going to get some chances.

Tebow and Greene will end up with the bulk of the carries during the regular season. But I would rather have Sanchez be able to hand the ball off to someone in a traditional offense than have him come off the field and put Tebow in.

Hall Of Fame
    This thread is about Shonn Greene please, there are hundred of other threads to trash Sanchez (who looked terrific last night, not sure what you are talking about) in.

thanks
    Not for nothing go check out his contributions in the Ray Ray media thread.

As far as Greene goes, you are right. He runs to contact and seems like he has just zero burst. He just doesnt make anyone miss, and needs a gaping hole to get any yards. The inability to convert those short yardage plays is the biggest indictment against Greene because if he cant convert those, what value does he have?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

The play that bothered me most was the third and long when Sanchez hit him open in the middle of the field, one tackler to beat, about three yards to go, and he ran right into the guy. wtf? he has to spin, stiff arm, sidestep, wiggle his shoulders, anything at that point and he gets the first. Scouting report on bringing him down is going to be pretty simple, you don't even have to break down, just steamroll straight ahead into his midsection.

Hall Of Fame
    The play that bothered me most was the third and long when Sanchez hit him open in the middle of the field, one tackler to beat, about three yards to go, and he ran right into the guy. wtf? he has to spin, stiff arm, sidestep, wiggle his shoulders, anything at that point and he gets the first. Scouting report on bringing him down is going to be pretty simple, you don't even have to break down, just steamroll straight ahead into his midsection.
    I know, It looked like he intentionally looked to hit the defender. There was so much room around him, he just never makes anyone miss. A good RB HAS to be able to make a guy miss one on one at times, Greene never does. Thats why I always have considered him a complimentary #2 back. He is just so one dimensional.

greene has got to be one of the worst starting RB's in the league right now. he is terrible.

Jets Insider VIP
    Agreed on his style, but at this point we know his weaknesses and he shouldn’t be out there on 3rd and 8. It should be a more elusive back who can catch and get YAC.

Is McKnight hurt or in a doghouse?

Haven't seen the TV view yet but from the stands I couldn't agree more. I'm sorry I wished he would cut instead of going head first into the pile though, no gain is better than a negative gain.

When the Panthers had 3rd and short it seemed like a given they would make it, and they did.

For all the good things I saw out there last night the bottom line is that the entire team wanted to score and we couldn't. I almost think I'd feel better if we just went "suck for Luck" this year had some hope for 2015. Hopefully I'm just still hung over and will see a bright side later today.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdanNJ View Post
    greene has got to be one of the worst starting RB's in the league right now. he is terrible.
    Well..he is really all we have this year so complaining isn't gonna help. But he doesn't SUCK. he's just not a number one back.

A mix of tebow, Powell, tight end plays to give Greene some options. But barry Sanders he aint.

Jets Insider VIP
    He has no wiggle, slipperiness, elusiveness, whatever you want to call it. He just doesn't have it and it is super frustrating to watch.

You also got to question is on field awareness on a play like that... I wonder if he even knew where the first down marker was.

Veteran
    What's the deal with Ganaway? Has he even played this preseason?

Quote Originally Posted by heymangold View Post
    What's the deal with Ganaway? Has he even played this preseason?
    The one time I remember seeing him last night he looked like he was running in sand.

Practice Squad
    Another thing I've noticed about Greene over the past few years.

Half the time it looks like he's stumbling to the ground almost immediately after the handoff.

I mean, literally falling down, as if he's tripping over some invisible object or whatever.

thanks
    +125

I thought Sanchez looked great last night too and was FAR FROM the biggest problem this team has! You want to see bad QB play, look at the second half. THAT WAS PATHETIC.

Greene isn't any better than Green Ellis was for New England.

This franchise was inept for releasing Thomas Jones and they're still paying for it.

i just hope they see this in practice and aren't using mcknight or powell with the first team so the bills prepare for greene and then get these faster backs, screen passes, etc, that they didn't expect.

my glass is half full, but i admit it's got a hole in the bottom...

Quote Originally Posted by CharlieDelray View Post
    Another thing I've noticed about Greene over the past few years.

Half the time it looks like he's stumbling to the ground almost immediately after the handoff.

I mean, literally falling down, as if he's tripping over some invisible object or whatever.
    This is my big issue with Green. He looks to go down. As soon as any contact is made with him, he is headed for the ground. And I don't mean a tackle, I have watched him fall when a player fell into him from the side.