Thread: Defensive Evaluation

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Defensive Evaluation

Was at the game last night, so was able to see a lot more from the seats then I was able to see previously on TV and with all the talk about the offense there are a lot of developments happening defensively….

Kendrick Ellis had an excellent game. This is a 340 lb guy we are talking about who was all over the field last night. I sincerely hope pouha is back to his old self (especially given his contract) but at this point, he should be splitting snaps with Ellis 50-50 with ellis playing more of the “passing down snaps” due to his ability to penetrate. Also, at his height he is excellent at clogging the middle and batting down balls. Kid looks like he could turn out to be an excellent player.

Ho-hum…Wilkerson had another solid game as we have all come to expect. There were a lot of times he was used as the only down lineman in passing situations which I personally don’t like, but overall he was very solid against the run.

Coples had a very similar game to his 2 previous. His speed off the ball is outstanding and he is very strong at the POA. So far so good…

Marcus Dixon also played well against the 2s

Bart had another good game. As much as I want Demario’s speed out there, Bart is playing well, I hope it continues, but if not, at least we have demario (or mauga) behind him.

Bryan Thomas also played very well against the run. There were a couple plays were he really set the edge and took on blockers. I know he is somewhat unheralded, but I think we missed him more then people think last year. Hopefully he stays healthy and helps our run def.

I have defended Pace on the board a lot, but personally I thought he looked terrible last night. Just slow and plodding. We should have had cam sacked once, and pace was so far from getting to him it was embarrassing. I hope rex doesn’t remain too loyal to him because he is being used as an “edge rusher” for us right now and that is hurting the team.

Maybin played well in his “situational” role and the play where he came up the middle, 90% of NFL QBs would have been sacked. I do ope he adds another dimension to his speed rush though…time will tell.

The secondary had its ups and downs. Cro actually hit someone but as usual, also missed a tackle, however I don’t want to nitpick as he was actually physical for once.

Kyle Wilson did not look good….not sure why he is getting so consistently beat, but its very disappointing. I will say though that Newton has such a strong arm, that on the deep cross where Wilson got beat, there aren’t many QBs that can make that throw.

It was tough to evaluate jush bush, but it appears he did blow a coverage on the TD and I saw revis yelling at him.

As for the second unit I tried to watch Antonio allen as much as possible and I honestly think on the long pass he gave up he had excellent coverage and just missed batting the ball away. Im surprised to see bush playing ahead of him…

Overall, (and I hope this is just preseason stuff) I don’t get why we are still going with the 1-2 downlineman and the rest LBs and DBs on passing downs. A front 4 of Ellis and Wilk at the tackles with maybin and coples at DE is a very good unit for pressuring the QB, especially if Ellis comes in fresh if he hasn’t been playing every snap. Seeing the delayed DB blitzes still is frustrating as they don’t work anymore. Rex also used Bart as a “DE” on a couple passing downs and I already mentioned how I felt Pace struggled. We have the speed and athletically ability to rush the passer without a ton of blitzing….I really hope we start to do that.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good write up. I agree about Pace looking slow. I really wish Sapp had not got hurt because I think he would have added some nice speed at that position and given Pace some rest.

Wilson also looked lost at times again, he is making the same mistakes he did when he was a rookie and was the lone bad spot for the defense in the first half.

The addition of Landry and Coples could be the two biggest off season additions for this team. Both guys are making a definite impact when on the field.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    The 1-2 down linemen may be experimental - throw it out there, see what happens.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    ny jets D will def be #1 this season. no doubt about it. rex, best defensive coach ever

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for write up.

I would like to see Pouha and Ellis on the field together.

Play a lot more 4-3.

Pouha, Ellis, Couples, Wilkerson. That's a scary front four.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    young stubs upfront is getting the job done, Coples - Ellis - Wilkerson

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    You make some very good points and I agree with all of them. The defense played very well. I think Ellis is going to be a big time player for us. We had some issues, notably Wilson and covering the TE. The TE problems are getting old. I think it is time for a new approach.

But it is funny that for the offense it is "just the pre season". And for the defense it seems like everything is counting and we are using their performance to predict what will happen in the regular season. Little bit of a double-standard. I think what we saw last night is what we can expect in the regular season. Turnovers are going to be crucial. We need to have a nice differential in order to be successful this season.

I think Wilk, Ellis and Coples are going to need a nickname soon.
    Last edited by DDNYjets; 08-27-2012 at 08:36 AM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Landry is going to be an All-Pro if he can stay healthy.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    The TE coverage thing is what shocked me so much about having Bush play with the first team last night, and not at least rotate with Allen.

Maybe there are things we arent seeing/hearing about allen's struggles, but the guy excelled vs the TE in college and that is an area of need for us....seems like easy math to me.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    The TE coverage thing is what shocked me so much about having Bush play with the first team last night, and not at least rotate with Allen.

Maybe there are things we arent seeing/hearing about allen's struggles, but the guy excelled vs the TE in college and that is an area of need for us....seems like easy math to me.
    Bush right now probably has a better grasp of the defense. Thats probably why he was in there replacing Bell. Bell is the one who makes the calls for the secondary so Bush would have assumed that role. Allen played a hybrid LB/S position for South Carolina last year, so he may not be totally comfortable with all the coverage calls that the safety has to make. Bush is very smart (went to Wake Forrest), also played CB in college as well.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Landry will put seven or eight guys on IR if he stays healthy. Reminds me of
    Victor Green. Both guys don't (didn't) even need to tackle, they just stop and somehow turn into concrete right before guys going run into them.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsplumber View Post
    ny jets D will def be #1 this season. no doubt about it. rex, best defensive coach ever
    I hope they improve because I still saw way too many 3rd down conversions last night

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    You read my mind completely about the D... Lot's of ups, especially Kenrick Ellis, and Landry has the potential to be a monster. 2 downs and that was Pace and Wilson, more so down on Pace than Wilson.

Would add 1 more observation, without a sizable and strong DT like Ellis or Pouha, the #2 defense could not hold the line of scrimmage. Really shows a value in having the huge guts up front.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Best young D line in the league next year
    Wilkerson- Ellis- Coples

Every team will try to pass when Bart Scott is in, book it.
    Wilson just does not see the ball well, bad instincts.

QBs that can't run will be hit this year!