Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pats and Hernandez reach extension

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Pats and Hernandez reach extension

I was hoping with the deal they gave Gronk that Hernandez would become a FA. Guess not!

Haven't seen the actual numbers but it locks him up until 2018.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

per espn

The New England Patriots have locked up both their young tight ends to long-term extensions after reaching agreement with Aaron Hernandez on a deal through 2018, sources said Monday.
    The contract is expected to be signed in the next 24 hours.

All-Pro Rob Gronkowski agreed in June to a six-year, $53 million extension, the richest contract for a tight end in NFL history.

Hernandez, who like Gronkowski is entering his third NFL season, caught 79 passes for 910 yards last season, third on the team behind Gronkowski's 1,327 and Wes Welker's 1,569.

Hernandez averaged 11.5 per reception with seven touchdowns in 2011.

Hernandez's deal casts further doubt on the long-term status of Welker.

The receiver signed a $9.5 million franchise tender in May. Last month, he arrived to training camp saying it was great to be back and that he was not disappointed from not locking up a long-term deal.

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by LockeJET View Post
    I was hoping with the deal they gave Gronk that Hernandez would become a FA. Guess not!

No big deal. According to ray ray we have better TE's than those two.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by LockeJET View Post

It was nice knowing you, Wes.

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    Unless he signs for reasonable money next season I tend to agree.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectre View Post
    Unless he signs for reasonable money next season I tend to agree.
    I think Wes will be looking for his last big NFL contract.

Unfortunately, it won't be with the Pats.

So they now have their dynamic duo locked up for the next six years and free up cap room for next season.

Wonderful.

I think Wes will be looking for his last big NFL contract.

Unfortunately, it won't be with the Pats.
    I don't think he is going to get a big time contract anywhere, my guess is he will get 2 years and 15 with 1/2 upfront. Nice money to be sure

clearly this is how they're gonna roll from now on. they got their to 2 stud te's and will fill in the receiver spots with low cost FAs and draft picks till they bolster the talent their. BB is all in with his TE system

looks like the Pats just locked up the AFC east for yrs to come

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    I don't think he is going to get a big time contract anywhere, my guess is he will get 2 years and 15 with 1/2 upfront. Nice money to be sure
    Considering he's getting almost $10m, this year, you don't think it's possible for the pats to get him for under $30m for 3yrs, right now?

I fully agree with the concept of not paying for past production, but the pats are simply a better team with him on it. While I'm happy that this is his last year in Foxboro, if I were a pats fan, I wouldn't be too quick to say g'bye. Julian Edelman can't become Wes welker simply because he's white.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    Considering he's getting almost $10m, this year, you don't think it's possible for the pats to get him for under $30m for 3yrs, right now?

I fully agree with the concept of not paying for past production, but the pats are simply a better team with him on it. While I'm happy that this is his last year in Foxboro, if I were a pats fan, I wouldn't be too quick to say g'bye. Julian Edelman can't become Wes welker simply because he's white.
    It is what it is crash.

Welker has had a great, productive career with the Patriots and I'm sure all Pats fans appreciate his efforts.

But given his age, size and wear and tear on his body, Welker's production will not slowly decline. He'll go downhill very fast.

Pats are paying him $9.5MM this year so I hope he has a good final year in Foxboro.

Callin it now, Wes to the Dolphins

Rookie
    Pats may be lookin at Hernandez or Ebert as their slot next season and Ballard,Fells and Gronk as TE's. Not a bad combo with Lloyd on the outside WR slot.

Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post

Nah, if they offered him 3 and 30 he would have signed for sure, they did not come off their 2 year 16 mill fully guaranteed offer. I don't see them paying 10mill yearly for him at ages 32 and 33. He is a wonderful player and will not be easily replaced. But you cant pay him for the next three seasons based on what he did the previous 3 years. Cold, but that is the way BB plays the game.

Danny Amendola really hit it off with McDaniels in camp last year, I think the Pats make a push for him in the off season. Devery Henderson maybe.
    I think that if Shipley would have made it thru waivers the pats would have done the same to him as Ballard.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Green Bandit View Post
    No way!! They are in total rebuild mode.

Please tell me why Welker will want to sign with the dolphins? Unless they pay him a ridiculous amount of money. He may be worth it to Indy and playing with Luck he can continue a possible HOF career.

Jets Insider VIP
    I am pretty confident the Pats can find a lot of other slot guys to fill in and produce to a level similar to Welker for less cost.

Signing the athletic freaks who have a more unique and impressive skill set is a smart move, and thats why the Pats have owned the division for a decade.

Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    Please tell me why Welker will want to sign with the dolphins? Unless they pay him a ridiculous amount of money. He may be worth it to Indy and playing with Luck he can continue a possible HOF career.
    Dolphins will overpay him to give Tannehill a new weapon. Miami will offer him the most money, and he fits Joe Philbins spread system. At least this makes the most sense to me.

Banned
    He'll never go to the Phins.

Denver with Manning or Houston with Schaub.