Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24

Thread: Rex Ryan and the Jets offense

  1. #1
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    6,293
    Post Thanks / Like

    Rex Ryan and the Jets offense

    There's a misconception in the world of Jet Fandom that this HC cares little about the talent the Jets have on offense and much more about what the Jets Have on defense. This could not be further from the truth and the evidence proves it. The simple fact of the matter is, Defense still wins Championships and offense still is just always about the Fans. That explains why the fans usually are the one complaining about how a coach like Ryan draft players in an effort to build his team.

    Since assuming control of the Jets team as HC,the organization has spent draft picks on the following offensive players. Take into consideration that because of trading up,the Jets have not had a lot of picks in the past 4 drafts.

    1st round : Mark Sanchez - QB
    2nd round :Vlad Ducasse - OT/OG
    2nd round :Stephen Hill - Wr
    3rd round : Shonn Greene - RB
    4th round : Joe Mcknight - RB
    4th round : Jeremy Kerley Wr
    4th round : Bilal Powell - RB
    6th round : Matt Slauson - OG
    6th round : Robert Griffin - OG/OT
    6th round : Terrance Ganaway - RB
    7th round : Jordan White - WR
    7th round : Greg McElroy - QB

    Throw in draft picks spent on WRs Santonio Holmes and Braylon Edwards and it just shows how this HC has tried to add to the offensive talent that was already here, while reshaping a defense that was old slow and untalented along the defensive line and in the LBing core.

    IMHO coach and GM has done a tremendous building a team while still staying competative.
    Last edited by Tinstar; 08-27-2012 at 02:41 PM.

  2. #2
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    16,710
    Post Thanks / Like
    you're absolutely right.


    but you're still gonna get blasted for this thread

  3. #3
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    19,549
    Post Thanks / Like
    If all picks are equal then find me one team that will trade us their first rounder in 2013 for our fourth rounder.

    Quality, not quantity.


  4. #4
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,333
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinstar View Post
    There's a misconception in the world of Jet Fandom that this HC cares little about the talent the Jets have on offense and much more about what the Jets Have on defense. This could not be further from the truth and the evidence proves it. The simple fact of the matter is, Defense still wins Championships and offense still is just always about the Fans. That explains why the fans usually are the one complaining about how a coach like Ryan draft players in an effort to build his team.

    Since assuming control of the Jets team as HC,the organization has spent draft picks on the following offensive players. Take into consideration that because of trading up,the Jets have not had a lot of picks in the past 4 drafts.

    1st round : Mark Sanchez - QB
    2nd round :Vlad Ducasse - OT/OG
    2nd round :Stephen Hill - Wr
    3rd round : Shonn Greene - RB
    4th round : Joe Mcknight - RB
    4th round : Bilal Powell - RB
    6th round : Matt Slauson - OG
    6th round : Terrance Ganaway - RB
    7th round : Jordan White - WR
    7th round : Greg McElroy - QB

    Throw in draft picks spent on WRs Santonio Holmes and Braylon Edwards and it just shows how this HC has tried to add to the offensive talent that was already here, while reshaping a defense that was old slow and untalented along the defensive line and in the LBing core.

    IMHO coach and GM has done a tremendous building a team while still staying competative.
    you forgot to include the bum taken in the 2nd Rd, Ducasse

  5. #5
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,529
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdanNJ View Post
    you forgot to include the bum taken in the 2nd Rd, Ducasse
    Please don't disparage bums.

  6. #6
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    brooklyn,NY
    Posts
    5,505
    Post Thanks / Like
    We draft RB and Recievers based on what's left over.. For once I would like to take a premier one coming out of college. One with no Athletic limitations.

    Hill is the only guy on that list that fit that description.
    Last edited by Scoop24; 08-27-2012 at 02:45 PM.

  7. #7
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    6,153
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ducasse has found his role as an interior lineman. I wouldn't be surprised to see him as a starting OG next year (or even later this season in case of injury or poor play).

  8. #8
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    6,293
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdanNJ View Post
    you forgot to include the bum taken in the 2nd Rd, Ducasse
    No i did not, but u are right about me forgetting players. I have added Kerley and Griffin.

  9. #9
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    74
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Giants, who had a pretty good offense going into the 2009 Draft:

    1st Round: Hakeem Nicks, WR
    1st Round: David Wilson, RB
    2nd Round: Will Beatty, OT
    2nd Round: Rueben Randle, WR
    3rd Round: Ramses Barden, WR
    3rd Round: Jerrel Jernigan, WR
    3rd Round: Travis Beckam, TE
    4th Round: Andre Brown, RB
    4th Round: Adrien Robinson, TE
    4th Round: Brandon Mosley, T
    4th Round: James Brewer, T
    5th Round: Rhett Bhomar, QB
    5th Round: Mitch Petrus, G
    6th Round: Matt McCants, T
    7th Round: Da'rell Scott, RB

  10. #10
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    18,353
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by OlTimeGiantFanFromLongAgo View Post
    The Giants, who had a pretty good offense going into the 2009 Draft:

    1st Round: Hakeem Nicks, WR
    1st Round: David Wilson, RB
    2nd Round: Will Beatty, OT
    2nd Round: Rueben Randle, WR
    3rd Round: Ramses Barden, WR
    3rd Round: Jerrel Jernigan, WR
    3rd Round: Travis Beckam, TE
    4th Round: Andre Brown, RB
    4th Round: Adrien Robinson, TE
    4th Round: Brandon Mosley, T
    4th Round: James Brewer, T
    5th Round: Rhett Bhomar, QB
    5th Round: Mitch Petrus, G
    6th Round: Matt McCants, T
    7th Round: Da'rell Scott, RB
    and the GIANTS had a good defense. Conclusion...REX and Tanny are near clueless when it comes to offense.

    We signed older players that couldn't last, gave up picks to get them etc.

    GIANTS> JETS from a front office perspective. Then again, many teams are.

  11. #11
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    6,293
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    If all picks are equal then find me one team that will trade us their first rounder in 2013 for our fourth rounder.

    Quality, not quantity.

    Forgive me, but am i to understand that the Jets have traded a 1st rounder for someone's 4th rounder previously. Our offensive talent was superior to our defensive talent when Rex took over this franchise. The 1st thing him and Tanny did was trade up for what they believed was their Franchise QB adding to that talent. They then drafted the RB who is the starting RB on this team presently right behind that.

    The following yr, they went out and drafted an OG to groom for when it was time to replace 1 of the starting OGs who were getting older. It was time to start working on the defense .

  12. #12
    All League
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    2,757
    Post Thanks / Like
    My main issue is that we have not drafted anyone (besides Keller?) to really grow and blossom with Sanchez. Kerley and Hill may be becoming those pieces...but Stafford had Calvin, Dalton had AJ, Matt Ryan had Roddy. The QBs that haven't really had those targets (Freeman, Bradford, Flacco) have consequently had up and down seasons.

    Drafting and producing elite offensive talent directly leads to better QB "stats".

  13. #13
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    5,043
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinstar View Post
    There's a misconception in the world of Jet Fandom that this HC cares little about the talent the Jets have on offense and much more about what the Jets Have on defense. This could not be further from the truth and the evidence proves it. The simple fact of the matter is, Defense still wins Championships and offense still is just always about the Fans. That explains why the fans usually are the one complaining about how a coach like Ryan draft players in an effort to build his team.

    Since assuming control of the Jets team as HC,the organization has spent draft picks on the following offensive players. Take into consideration that because of trading up,the Jets have not had a lot of picks in the past 4 drafts.

    1st round : Mark Sanchez - QB
    2nd round :Vlad Ducasse - OT/OG
    2nd round :Stephen Hill - Wr
    3rd round : Shonn Greene - RB
    4th round : Joe Mcknight - RB
    4th round : Jeremy Kerley Wr
    4th round : Bilal Powell - RB
    6th round : Matt Slauson - OG
    6th round : Robert Griffin - OG/OT
    6th round : Terrance Ganaway - RB
    7th round : Jordan White - WR
    7th round : Greg McElroy - QB

    Throw in draft picks spent on WRs Santonio Holmes and Braylon Edwards and it just shows how this HC has tried to add to the offensive talent that was already here, while reshaping a defense that was old slow and untalented along the defensive line and in the LBing core.

    IMHO coach and GM has done a tremendous building a team while still staying competative.
    Pretty ridiculous--4th Rounders and below are seldom impact players---and I notice you have several on your list who might not be keepers. The idea, genius, is that after last years horrible performance, offense had to be addressed seriously. Was it addressed--nope---unless you think a second round draft pick who came from a a non-passing system is going to be a difference maker. Also, the draft is not the only route you go in building a team.

    Let me conclude by asking you as simple question------Who on this Jet offense do the defensive coordinators across the league have to fear?

  14. #14
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    19,549
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinstar View Post
    Forgive me, but am i to understand that the Jets have traded a 1st rounder for someone's 4th rounder previously. Our offensive talent was superior to our defensive talent when Rex took over this franchise. The 1st thing him and Tanny did was trade up for what they believed was their Franchise QB adding to that talent. They then drafted the RB who is the starting RB on this team presently right behind that.

    The following yr, they went out and drafted an OG to groom for when it was time to replace 1 of the starting OGs who were getting older. It was time to start working on the defense .
    No. My point is that first round picks are more valuable. You are adding up picks like they all are the same. They are not.

  15. #15
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    6,293
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    and the GIANTS had a good defense. Conclusion...REX and Tanny are near clueless when it comes to offense.

    We signed older players that couldn't last, gave up picks to get them etc.

    GIANTS> JETS from a front office perspective. Then again, many teams are.
    How long was our defense expected to live off of Revis. Our offense had an OL and got a QB and WRs with low round picks via trades . Holmes is relatively young, and Brraylon was/is still capable of making plays. It takes time to build a team,and they did what they had too with what they had and where they were picking.

  16. #16
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    18,353
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rextilleon View Post
    Pretty ridiculous--4th Rounders and below are seldom impact players---and I notice you have several on your list who might not be keepers. The idea, genius, is that after last years horrible performance, offense had to be addressed seriously. Was it addressed--nope---unless you think a second round draft pick who came from a a non-passing system is going to be a difference maker. Also, the draft is not the only route you go in building a team.

    Let me conclude by asking you as simple question------Who on this Jet offense do the defensive coordinators across the league have to fear?
    Not necessarily true. I heard an interview with Steve Smith (WR Carolina) who stated 1/2 the league are 6th rounders and worse. Cant cite it but sounds accurate to me.

    Cotchery 4th, Wes Welker UFA, Brady 6th ...top of my head.

    Since 2005, NO LESS than 20 UFA's have been named to the pro bowl.

  17. #17
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    6,293
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    No. My point is that first round picks are more valuable. You are adding up picks like they all are the same. They are not.
    Sanchez was a 1st round pick,and the most important player on a team. Vlad was a 2nd and a player drafted with purposed.The fact that he didn't work out as quickly as the fans wanted doesn't negate the effort made. Hill is a 2nd rounder. Greene is the starting RB and the fact that the fans don't care for his production doesn't negate the effort.

    That defense had Revis and noting else. It needed talent and it has gotten just that. Along the way, They have tried to add to the offense . The fact that Holmes is a not liked by the fanbase doesn't negate the effort to address the WR position with a young super Bowl MVP aquired on the cheap.

    The Defense has been upgraded after 3 yrs on the Job.
    Let me ask this question.
    Who here wants to give the steelers next yr's 1st rounder for Mike Wallace? What RB out there do we want to give away next yr's 1st or 2nd rounder for this yr? These are the issues we are talking about here right ? It can't be the QB, because they have tried. The OL is an issue, but They have tried there also, so when does it end.

    Do we need an all pro at every position on offense in order for this offense to succeed.

    ON offense we have spent 1st round picks on these players all while adding only Revis on Defense .

    Starting QB
    Starting LT
    Starting OC
    Starting TE

  18. #18
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    6,293
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rextilleon View Post
    Pretty ridiculous--4th Rounders and below are seldom impact players---and I notice you have several on your list who might not be keepers. The idea, genius, is that after last years horrible performance, offense had to be addressed seriously. Was it addressed--nope---unless you think a second round draft pick who came from a a non-passing system is going to be a difference maker. Also, the draft is not the only route you go in building a team.

    Let me conclude by asking you as simple question------Who on this Jet offense do the defensive coordinators across the league have to fear?

    To be honest, no one. But that doesn't negate the effort made to try to aquire that type of player both via the draft and free agency. They drafted what they thought was a Franchise QB. He was supposed to be that player. They traded a 5th rounder for a SB MVP,to be that type of player. They have tried,all the while fixing a defense that was running on fumes.

  19. #19
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    486
    Post Thanks / Like
    What a steal that Ducasse pick was. Along with the "Rex Pick" John Conner. Shocking we aren't a top 5 offense.

    Yawn

  20. #20
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    18,353
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LotteryPick6 View Post
    What a steal that Ducasse pick was. Along with the "Rex Pick" John Conner. Shocking we aren't a top 5 offense.

    Yawn
    Have you been reading my thousands of anti REX-offense posts?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us