Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Terrible End of 1st Half Coaching

don't expect improvement with sparano as the offensive coordinator.he was a loser with miami and he will be a loser with the jets.

It's crazy that our coaching staff decided not to take advantage of a situation and give our offense a chance to practice how to react in similar situations. Given that the same predicament will likely happen multiple times in the regular season and could mean the difference between winning a game or losing a game.

Injuries can happen on any given play. That excuse is lame.

I'm constantly blown away by how unprepared our team can sometimes be, and when they were given an opportunity to practice for this type of situation, they take a pass. Unbelievable.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by southside View Post
    What was just as terrible was letting the play clock run all the way down from that first down run play and then attempting to throw the ball on the next play.
    Exactly!! If they were so worried about the injuires they would have just let the clock run out and either ran into the line on 2nd down or just taken a knee.

If you're going to pass on 2nd then you dont run on first and if you do run on first you hurry up to the line.

All League
    Not going for the TD on 4th & Goal at the 4 yard line was incomprehensible.

Was practicing a 22-yard FG more important than trying for a TD?

Rex was never all that swift at snap decisions and Sparano dumbs the team down even more.

It's gonna be a fun ride though ... "no doubt about it."

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Gastineau99 View Post
    Preseason
    All the more reason to go for the six.

what a great move b y the coaching staff. why do we want to show our 2 min drill for buffalo to be able to game plan for over the next 2 weeks. right now, buffalo has no idea whats in out 2 min offense. totaly the right move. the jets showed nothing offensively in the preseason, buffalo is totally clueless when rex and sparano opens up the playbook. great move

Quote Originally Posted by jpoppy7 View Post
    One of the things that frustrated me the most last night was the end of the first half. Jets got the ball with about 1:15 left at their own 25.

In a regular season game, would hope the offense would try to do something in the 2 minute drill, but I somewhat understand if they don't. But in a preseason game, I don't understand how you can't at least use that opportunity to run your 2 minute drill in a real game. Unless the Jets offense is so confident that they have figured out everything (while not scoring a TD) and have no need to practice their two minute drill. Makes absolutely no sense to me.
    The Patriots have executed and perfected these situations hundreds upon hundreds of times over the years without much failure, and in a preseason game if they had the opportunity to go down the field and score with 1:15 seconds left on the clock and ALL 3 timeouts, you can damn well bet they would've tried for it, despite all the successes that Tom Brady and co have had in the situation. It's called getting practice in situational football.

Now, the scarier part on top of that is, the Jets coaching staff is so clueless that had that been a regular season game, they probably also would've made no attempt to even try anything, despite having ALL THREE ****ING TIMEOUTS LEFT. Meanwhile the Patriots will march that **** up and down the field with 1:15 left and 3 timeouts any day of the week. That, among many other things is one of the reasons why the Jets will continue to get their **** handed to them by the Patriots for many years to come, and that's assuming the Jets have actually fielded a good team in the first place.

And the BS about not running the drive in order to not get players injured: Why bother even playing the game then? There's still a half hour's worth of game left where many people could be exposed to injury, so that's retarded, like the Jets and their Herman Edwards *****, not ever wanting to score (in preseason or regular season) coaching staff.

My real question would be the following. Eagles had 2nd and goal at the 2 minute warning. They ran, we stopped them, and the clock is running. We should have used a TO then. We'd get the ball back with 1:50 and 2 timeouts, which is better than 1:20 with 3 timeouts.

I hope our coaching staff is capable of thinking that far in advance , and just decided they didn't want to run the 2-minute drill. Although I have no clue why they wouldn't. Is the 2-minute drill something super-secret? Why did they have Tebow run the 2-minute drill at the end of the game then? What happens if Buffalo saw?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by thshadow View Post
    My real question would be the following. Eagles had 2nd and goal at the 2 minute warning. They ran, we stopped them, and the clock is running. We should have used a TO then. We'd get the ball back with 1:50 and 2 timeouts, which is better than 1:20 with 3 timeouts.

I hope our coaching staff is capable of thinking that far in advance , and just decided they didn't want to run the 2-minute drill. Although I have no clue why they wouldn't. Is the 2-minute drill something super-secret? Why did they have Tebow run the 2-minute drill at the end of the game then? What happens if Buffalo saw?!?!
    Exactly. Their inability to call a timeout when Carolina was on the 3 yard line with a finite amount of plays left to run in their drive further exposes how clueless this coaching staff is with situational football. Yes, it's only a preseason game, but the problem is, that will happen in a regular season game as well, because Rex and his subordinates have the clock management acumen of Herman Edwards. Anybody remember the Denver game last year where the Jets were going to attempt a 21 yard field goal but couldn't get the personnel on the field in time to get the snap off before the play clock ran out? Rather than letting the play clock run out and making it a 26 yard field goal, our geniuses decided that that whopping 5 yards that they would lose was worth blowing a timeout over, and then of course at the end of the first half, the Jets had one less timeout to work with, costing themselves an opportunity to score. Or how about the second Patriots home game when the Jets had the ball on the Patriots 2 yardline with 3rd down and about 1:15 left in the half, the Jets decided they would call a timeout prior to running their third down play, but meanwhile the game clock was running. The play clock was at like 18 seconds, and rather than let the play clock run all the way down in order to give the Patriots less time on their own two minute attempt, Sanchez called a timeout without letting the 18 seconds run off. Sanchez ends up scoring, everybody is happy as a pig in **** (except me, because I knew what was going to happen) and meanwhile the Patriots used that 18 second gift to march their way down the field and put a TD on the board before halftime, thereby ending the Jets season.

This **** has been going on since Herman Edwards as far as how end of halves and timeouts are handled, and one things for sure, the Jets have no problem continually squandeing these opportunities year after year, and worse yet, the coaching staff of the team NEVER learns from their mistakes in these situations.
    Last edited by Jetfan16; 08-27-2012 at 07:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jpoppy7 View Post
    One of the things that frustrated me the most last night was the end of the first half. Jets got the ball with about 1:15 left at their own 25.

In a regular season game, would hope the offense would try to do something in the 2 minute drill, but I somewhat understand if they don't. But in a preseason game, I don't understand how you can't at least use that opportunity to run your 2 minute drill in a real game. Unless the Jets offense is so confident that they have figured out everything (while not scoring a TD) and have no need to practice their two minute drill. Makes absolutely no sense to me.
    Maybe losing 2 TEs on the first half had something to do with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sports View Post
    Maybe losing 2 TEs on the first half had something to do with it.
    So why didn't they forfeit the second half? If 2 TE's were lost in the first half, imagine what could've happened in the second half as far as injuries to the team? Why even run Shonn Greene up the gut on first down with 3 timeouts, doesn't the coaching staff know that any one of the 11 guys on the field could've gotten injured? How about the pass on the next play? Don't they understand the concept of protecting your players from injury? They should've taken 3 knees- don't you think?

[QUOTE=Jetfan16;4568911]So why didn't they forfeit the second half? If 2 TE's were lost in the first half, imagine what could've happened in the second half as far as injuries to the team? Why even run Shonn Greene up the gut on first down with 3 timeouts, doesn't the coaching staff know that any one of the 11 guys on the field could've gotten injured? How about the pass on the next play? Don't they understand the concept of protecting your players from injury? They should've taken 3 knees- don't you think?[/QUOTE]

Agreed, thus they kneeled indirectly in all those snaps.

Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    I thought this summed it up...

chris moore ‏@mooretosay
    Jets are embarrassing. Home game, no tds yet in preseason, and they don't even try. DON'T EVEN TRY. FOR GOD'S SAKE, TRY.

You dont run out the clock from 1:22 down 10-9 in pre season football. Need to practice running out the clock?
    Just watched the end of the half, after the KO after the Panther TD, the Jets got the ball with 1:10 on the clock, that is a difference from 1:22, not much, but that is about two more plays...

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    Just watched the end of the half, after the KO after the Panther TD, the Jets got the ball with 1:10 on the clock, that is a difference from 1:22, not much, but that is about two more plays...
    If our offense were to punt on 2nd down while in the red zone to end the half, you'd somehow find a reason why it wasn't such a bad idea.