Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Terrible End of 1st Half Coaching

Terrible End of 1st Half Coaching

One of the things that frustrated me the most last night was the end of the first half. Jets got the ball with about 1:15 left at their own 25.

In a regular season game, would hope the offense would try to do something in the 2 minute drill, but I somewhat understand if they don't. But in a preseason game, I don't understand how you can't at least use that opportunity to run your 2 minute drill in a real game. Unless the Jets offense is so confident that they have figured out everything (while not scoring a TD) and have no need to practice their two minute drill. Makes absolutely no sense to me.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by jpoppy7 View Post
    One of the things that frustrated me the most last night was the end of the first half. Jets got the ball with about 1:15 left at their own 25.

In a regular season game, would hope the offense would try to do something in the 2 minute drill, but I somewhat understand if they don't. But in a preseason game, I don't understand how you can't at least use that opportunity to run your 2 minute drill in a real game. Unless the Jets offense is so confident that they have figured out everything (while not scoring a TD) and have no need to practice their two minute drill. Makes absolutely no sense to me.
    Maybe they realized that the faster they can get out of there without getting more players injured the better.

Veteran
    From nyjets.com:

On the final offensive drive of the first half and why the team did not use the two-minute offense…

We were going to. It was kind of an iffy situation. We knew we were bringing out the ones again. At that time, we were thinking about using it depending on where that [first] play went. If it went for a first down, we were going to keep the drive going and use our timeouts. Then we decided to go into the half. We were getting the ball to start the half. That’s what we told our guys, too.

I guess I get it..

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by JETFAN1 View Post
    From nyjets.com:

On the final offensive drive of the first half and why the team did not use the two-minute offense…

We were going to. It was kind of an iffy situation. We knew we were bringing out the ones again. At that time, we were thinking about using it depending on where that [first] play went. If it went for a first down, we were going to keep the drive going and use our timeouts. Then we decided to go into the half. We were getting the ball to start the half. That’s what we told our guys, too.

I guess I get it..
    Didnt they run on first down? If this is true about getting a first down then why not pass instead and be a biit more agressive. It's only preseason I know but scoring a TD at some point would be good for their psyche.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by LockeJET View Post
    Didnt they run on first down? If this is true about getting a first down then why not pass instead and be a biit more agressive. It's only preseason I know but scoring a TD at some point would be good for their psyche.
    I don't recall if it was a run but you have a point. It would have slowed down the media insanity.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by jpoppy7 View Post

injury risk......

I thought this summed it up...

chris moore ‏@mooretosay
    Jets are embarrassing. Home game, no tds yet in preseason, and they don't even try. DON'T EVEN TRY. FOR GOD'S SAKE, TRY.

You dont run out the clock from 1:22 down 10-9 in pre season football. Need to practice running out the clock?

I think injuries had something to do with it. Our WRs and TEs group is really banged up as it is, no need to risk further injury in a meaningless 2 minute drill

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by LockeJET View Post
    Yes they did. That explanation given was total BS.

Meh, I can see both sides of argument

When Baker went down, Jets were basically left with zero TE's, they were probably shell shocked from the injuries, and didn't want to risk it.

You could argue that the Jets would have probably been in with at least 3 WR sets, true, but you need a TE to balance that, and the Jets were still already playing with a limited WR unit with both Holmes and Kerley on a limited pitch count. The 2 minute offense plays fast, and WR's run a lot, from running their route, and then back to the huddle, I thought that was the reason they checked in.

Otherwise, yeah, you want to practice the drill in that scenario.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsCrazey View Post
    I think injuries had something to do with it. Our WRs and TEs group is really banged up as it is, no need to risk further injury in a meaningless 2 minute drill
    Had that been the team's explanation, then I wouldn't have found fault with their decision.

But don't insult the fans by saying that "if we would have gotten a first down on the first play, then we would have considered using our timeouts." Not when that 1st play is a run by Shonn Greene. Sorry, don't buy it.

They had 3 TEs and 6-7+ WRs still on the sideline...I don't think there is such a thing as a meaningless 2 minute drill unless your QB is Brady, Manning, Brees

Veteran
    Plenty of time on the clock, 3 TO's remaining. No TD"s all preseason. Charging regular season prices for a preseason game. Now they're hiding their 2 minute drill for fear that Buffalo may see something? Disgusting.

I see both sides of the argument. Not gonna go crazy since its preseason.

You guys don't understand. We want to be "vanilla" all preseason. Rex said it. Sparano said it. Collinsworth said it. We are clearly holding back our dangerous weapons.

Also worth noting I don't believe anything I just wrote

This. It was a bit frustrating to watch as a fan, but why risk it. We'd already lost Keller, Harris, and Baker at that point.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by MagroCrag View Post
    This. It was a bit frustrating to watch as a fan, but why risk it. We'd already lost Keller, Harris, and Baker at that point.
    So why did the "official" comment from the team not mention that and instead come up with an explanation that did nothing but insult the intelligence of fans?

Veteran
    This was supposed to be the final tuneup before the regular season. You're down with a chance to take a half time lead, your offense has finally shown signs that it has a pulse, and you don't even try the 2 minute offense? Pathetic.

What was just as terrible was letting the play clock run all the way down from that first down run play and then attempting to throw the ball on the next play. I won't defense that series. That was just stupid. In the least, we can hope that they are using the preseason to tune up some questionable coaching as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Trades View Post
    Maybe they realized that the faster they can get out of there without getting more players injured the better.
    thank you sir for being the voice of reason