Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ESPN's Hoge: Jets should move Tebow to running back

ESPN's Hoge: Jets should move Tebow to running back

The Jets have yet to unveil their Wildcat offense against an opposing defense this preseason, and Merril Hoge is ready to switch Tim Tebow’s position.

The ESPN analyst, who has been critical of Tebow since his ascension with the Broncos, said the Jets best chance of offensive success would be moving Tebow to running back.

“At this point I would not think that it’s far-fetched to move him to running back,” Hoge said on “SportsCenter.”

“With Tim Tebow I know they are going to pull out the Wildcat, but right now they need power football. Move him to running back, establish that . . . He is big and strong and powerful. His heart is a 10. I think he should be a guy who is going to get some carries.”

Hoge said the Jets should make use of what made Tebow successful when he won the Heisman at Florida.

“They ran what was equivalent to the Power O. They were not doing a lot on the perimeter,” he said. “You establish something like, and yes there’s always the possibility of using the flea flicker. But listen you are hurting your team by continually doing this. You better hope Mark Sanchez doesn’t go down because your backup situation isn’t very strong right now.”

Hoge is not alone in his criticism of the Jets offense, which has yet to produce a touchdown in three games this preseason. The offense did show flashes of success in Sunday night’s loss to the Panthers, but Mark Sanchez was undone by critical drops from his receivers.

“I thought [Sanchez] was sharp. His job is to throw it, not catch it. But if you look at their major issue it’s the offensive line,” Hoge said. “The Jets want to establish a physical presence in the running game. They want to establish that, play great defense. The first thing you have to do: You have to win up front with your offensive line. . .. Offensive line is not getting movement, not getting to that second level. That’s where those linebackers are making all those plays in the backfield.”

And that’s not a winning formula for a Jets team that lacks a big-time passing attack even they are at full health and Sanchez is on top of his game.

“When you do that you put a big burden on your quarterbacks. You make them carry the load, and neither of these guys are equipped to do what Tom Brady, Peyton Manning do. If they don’t have that (running game), they are going to continue to have problems,” Hoge said.

http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/backpa...7W9AsfzexE7FZM

Jets Insider VIP
    I agree with this....

The fact that Tebow is NOT playing in the preseason finale speaks volumes.
    they have something brewing for him.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    Ahhh..yes. the JETS front office is brewing something.

Please, you do realize how ridiculous this sounds right?

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Been saying this all offseason. It's a waste of time trying to develop him as a QB, it's just not going to happen. Should maximize the talents (talent?) he does have - running the ball. Maybe even see if he can catch some passes in the flats and make some big plays.

sanka?

I agree with this 100%. He cant throw for **** but he sure can run and truck people over. Id love for Sanchez to hand it off to him on 3rd and 1
    Last edited by Jet Life; 08-27-2012 at 03:37 PM.

Has anyone thought otherwise? Other than the media clowns that actually thought and reported a QB "controversy"..

Yeah I'd rather have Tebow in at FB or HB than QB for sure. I think he could be a lot like Peyton Hillis only with more heart and a team first attitude...

If you're going to put him out there as a PPP why not FB right?

If there is a qb competition between Matt Simms and McElroy...this move would allow the jets to keep both...

Jets Insider VIP
    Tebow runs at 4.7 forty. How can he play running back? its one thing to scramble around and take off or even run a read option play.

Its another to take a handoff from a qb and be a running back.

Quote Originally Posted by JFB View Post
    If there is a qb competition between Matt Simms and McElroy...this move would allow the jets to keep both...
    Revisit this after Thursday's game

Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    Tebow runs at 4.7 forty. How can he play running back? its one thing to scramble around and take off or even run a read option play.

this and we don't know if he can catch either.

Jets have thin talent at RB.

Tebow has untold potential at RB.

I can see this happen (and want it to happen). If a guy like Peyton Hillis can power-run his way to a great '10 season with the measurables of a FB, Tebow certainly can as well.

Add in the ability to have a pass option on stretch type runs or tosses....it's genius.

Which is of course why the Jets will never do it. They'll continue to nourish Tebow as a QB because Woody likes the headlines it creates.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post

Greene doesn't look like he's moving much faster than that as it is....

Quote Originally Posted by Manchez View Post
    2 wrongs don't make a right.

Quote Originally Posted by Manchez View Post
    I can see them using him at RB this season at times so wel see soon enough.

Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    this and we don't know if he can catch either.
    Just because you don't know if he can catch or not doesn't mean the coaches haven't found that out yet...

All Pro
    what do they mean "should" ? That's what he's going to be doing.

Should move him off this team. That's probably a solution