Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ESPN's Hoge: Jets should move Tebow to running back

I thought we should do that until it was pointed out that the reason he ran so successfully was because teams were preparing for him as a QB that MIGHT run, not as a straight up RB.

I'm not saying he couldn't be successful in the backfield, but I'm not sold on his scrambling skills translating to scripted RB style runs.

Hall Of Fame
    Its worth a shot. Tebow is here for the whole season anyway, might as well find something he can do. He cant be any worse than Connor at running the ball. They are probably the same size.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    Tebow runs at 4.7 forty. How can he play running back? its one thing to scramble around and take off or even run a read option play.

Its another to take a handoff from a qb and be a running back.
    Thank you. File this under the same crazy notion as Tebow should be our KR. The guy is a good runner....for a qb.

I don't know if anyone has brought it up here over the past few weeks, but I've been saying that I can easily see Sanchez under center with Tebow lined up in the backfield and using a toss to Tebow with him having a run/pass option. Let's him do what he does best without having to worry about him being under center and dropping back. Keeps the D honest becuase there's always the option the Sanchez keeps it and boots the other way to pass.
    Last edited by CTJetsFanII; 08-27-2012 at 04:00 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by CTJetsFanII View Post
    I don't know if anyone has brought it up here over the past few weeks, but I've been saying that I can easily see Sanchez under center with Tebow lined up in the backfield and using a toss to Tebow with him having a run/pass option. Let's him do what he does best without having to worry about being under center and pretending to be a real QB.
    When the defense sees him lined up in the backfield they will prepare for the throw as well. The reason a HB option works is because the defense never expects the HB to throw. With Tebow the defense will prepare for both and it fool no one.

Jets Insider VIP
    If he moves to RB, are we going to see those crazy fist pumps every time he runs for a first down?

Like the ones he did last night against a 3rd string defense in the 4th quarter of a preseason game?

God, I hope so.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    Tebow runs at 4.7 forty. How can he play running back? its one thing to scramble around and take off or even run a read option play.

Its another to take a handoff from a qb and be a running back.
    thank god someone said it, i felt like i was taking crazy pills.

I dont think tebow at RB would work to be honest. It's one thing to be able to run the ball when the defense is so spread out covering the pass then taking off for big gains, but when the defense is reading run and crashing down hard on him? Tebow isnt very fast, or very agile so making moves in the hole and breaking one isnt really his game. His game relies on the fact that the defense is spread out covering their zones and here comes this 250+ guy running down field and defenders have to come at him, usually at poor angles, and attempt to take him down.

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    When the defense sees him lined up in the backfield they will prepare for the throw as well. The reason a HB option works is because the defense never expects the HB to throw. With Tebow the defense will prepare for both and it fool no one.

I edited my original post to clarify my point. You must've responsed before I finished. Having Tebow be a 60/40 run/pass option in the backfield while having Sanchez as a true pass option will confuse the heck out of the defense especially if they have Tebow going one way and Sanchez the other. Defenses have to think 1) is Tebow getting the ball or is Sanchez passing and 2) ok, Tebow has the ball is he going to run or pass?

Not sure we have to "fool" anybody. The threat will be there and it divides the D's attention.

Also, why do we have to label Tebow as a running back, halfback, option back, whatever? Let him be backup QB for his ego but put him in the backfield with Sanchez. If the D fears a run maybe they'll put enough men up front that Holmes could actually get free long enough for Sanchez to pass it to him.

All Pro
    How do you prepare for both, and why wouldn't you always do that? If they have to guard against the pass that leaves less guys to tackle. The way you beat it is to send everyone and blow it up in the backfield. That's what makes Tebow good is that he can buy some time, and throws a nice deep ball. I would still try him out at all positions. The guy is an athlete, and has good instincts, and the will. Idk if they have, or if he has been willing, but he looks like a TE/Hback. Hell a few more pounds and he'll be the next RT. He should understand routes, and blocking schemes a little. If Aussie can do it why not him?

I don't know if anyone has brought it up here over the past few weeks, but I've been saying that I can easily see Sanchez under center with Tebow lined up in the backfield and using a toss to Tebow with him having a run/pass option. Let's him do what he does best without having to worry about him being under center and dropping back. Keeps the D honest becuase there's always the option the Sanchez keeps it and boots the other way to pass.
    Totally agree. This will probably be the "base" Tebow package to start. No way he's under center in real games. Think Sparano let him try it in preseason to see if he had progressed enough to be traditional QB, which he obviously hasn't. They will play to his strengths during the season, and he will help the team. I hope.

All Pro
    I edited my original post to clarify my point. You must've responsed before I finished. Having Tebow be a 60/40 run/pass option in the backfield while having Sanchez as a true pass option will confuse the heck out of the defense especially if they have Tebow going one way and Sanchez the other. Defenses have to think 1) is Tebow getting the ball or is Sanchez passing and 2) ok, Tebow has the ball is he going to run or pass?
    I'd like to see Sanchez throw the ball to Tebow on the opposing sideline. Can he catch is the Question.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    How do you prepare for both, and why wouldn't you always do that? If they have to guard against the pass that leaves less guys to tackle. The way you beat it is to send everyone and blow it up in the backfield. That's what makes Tebow good is that he can buy some time, and throws a nice deep ball. I would still try him out at all positions. The guy is an athlete, and has good instincts, and the will. Idk if they have, or if he has been willing, but he looks like a TE/Hback. Hell a few more pounds and he'll be the next RT. He should understand routes, and blocking schemes a little. If Aussie can do it why not him?
    The original question was to use Tebow in the backfield and have him run a HB option play. The reason a HB option works is because when the defense sees the HB start to run they commit to it and leave their coverage assignments. When Tebow is in there the DBs will not break coverage as easily or be fooled. Lets not be fooled into thinking that Tebow can run like even an average HB in the NFL. If you want to line him up for short yardage, fine. But to use him like a HB and think that he is going to scare anyone is foolish.

So, a guy who has never taken a handoff from the backfield, will magically become a great NFL running back over night? Right, pass the Owsley.

Tebow is a scrambling QB, not a running back. He'd never have the stamina to be an every down running back or be able to take the pounding. Plus, it would take a while for him to even get comfortable taking handoffs. Guaranteed fumble machine in the making.

Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    I thought we should do that until it was pointed out that the reason he ran so successfully was because teams were preparing for him as a QB that MIGHT run, not as a straight up RB.

I'm not saying he couldn't be successful in the backfield, but I'm not sold on his scrambling skills translating to scripted RB style runs.
    Former RB Merril Hodge thinks it translates

Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    I'd like to see Sanchez throw the ball to Tebow on the opposing sideline. Can he catch is the Question.
    It made me wonder if them making him the "personal protector" on punt coverage was also prepping him for blocking (for Sanchez) in the backfield when they lined up together.

Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    So, a guy who has never taken a handoff from the backfield, will magically become a great NFL running back over night? Right, pass the Owsley.

Tebow is a scrambling QB, not a running back. He'd never have the stamina to be an every down running back or be able to take the pounding. Plus, it would take a while for him to even get comfortable taking handoffs. Guaranteed fumble machine in the making.
    Personally, I don't see him ever taking direct handoffs and going up the middle. I see him getting tosses (almost like a shotgun snap) from the QB (Sanchez) when lined up as a RB

Jets Insider VIP
    Besides the 4.7 forty issue, a RB needs the vision and lateral quickness to hit the necessary holes. Does Tebow even have that?

I still say that Tebow's best position is what Josh Baker was, FB/TE. Can he catch? We don't know, but Tebow has to get in space and he won't playing RB.

Quote Originally Posted by LotteryPick6 View Post
    Should move him off this team. That's probably a solution
    +1

It's scary how this guy could become our starting QB if Sanchez gets hurt. The reps that Tebow is taking should be given to a viable backup QB. It's ridiculous what's going on.

Personally, I don't see him ever taking direct handoffs and going up the middle. I see him getting tosses (almost like a shotgun snap) from the QB (Sanchez) when lined up as a RB
    I hear ya. But he'd also be counted on to pick up blitzes, block, etc. Tebow's never done any of that.

I just think it's asinine for guys like Hodge to think Tebow can step into such a difficult skill position as RB. We're talking about the NFL, and NFL defenses, for crying out loud. You don't learn the running back position in a heat beat. Tebow as a running back will get friggin' massacred.