Thread: Hiding the Wildcat - good idea?

Veteran

Hiding the Wildcat - good idea?

So, we want to hide our Wildcat for the season opener, figuring that we will "surprise" Buffalo with it. This will take away precious preparation time while Buffalo has to spend time game planning for some plays one one has seen. Am I the only one who sees some problems with this?

I understand playing a vanilla offense, but are we so proficient with this in practice, that we'll just roll it out to great success in the season opener? Doesn't this take away practice time from our "regular" offense, which by the way, we seem to need as much help with as we can get? Isn't Buffalo in the same division as Miami and haven't they seen what it looks like there - playing them 2 times a year? I understand that the Tebow throwing element is added, but how different are the formations likely to be? Is it going to be a big surprise when Tebow takes the field as to what is about to happen? Isn't it at all possible and probably likely, that Buffalo will bring in an offensive player we drop next week to get a heads up on what we have been practicing? Wouldn't running a few vanilla Wildcat plays actually have given Buffalo more to think about?

I just don't get it. We run out the clock with over a minute left in the half and 3 TO's left, instead of practicing the 2 minute offense. We don't show the Wildcat at all. I think this is a case where we are outsmarting ourselves. You can practice something all you want, but game conditions are different. Is this really going to be such a big surprise? I think we're setting this up to be a big fail. I sincerely hope I'm wrong.

Tebow doesn't need practice running the option. It's pretty much his thing.

Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    Tebow doesn't need practice running the option. It's pretty much his thing.
    This.

The less our opponents see of the Sparano Wildcat Meets Tebow Option, the better. Even if it's only a real "suprise" in week 1, if it helps us win, it's worth it.

Given the jets O-line Experience in running it, and Tebows experience in a similar style, it's not exactly rocket science.....after all, alot of college kids can figure it out pretty quickly, I assume pro's (some of whom ran it in college) can get the gist too.

Proof in in the pudding, we'll have to see it to judge it Week 1.

Undrafted Free Agent
    What is there to hide?

pure genious by rex and sparano, right now, buffalo and the nfl has no clue what the jets are doing on offense cause everything was vanilla. has to be one of the smartest coaching decesions has has done to date. look for the jets to lightup the scoreboard come week 1

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    This.

The less our opponents see of the Sparano Wildcat Meets Tebow Option, the better. Even if it's only a real "suprise" in week 1, if it helps us win, it's worth it.

Given the jets O-line Experience in running it, and Tebows experience in a similar style, it's not exactly rocket science.....after all, alot of college kids can figure it out pretty quickly, I assume pro's (some of whom ran it in college) can get the gist too.

Proof in in the pudding, we'll have to see it to judge it Week 1.
    Agreed. IMO the advantage lies with the Jets!

it's the same offense tebow ran in Denver. The guy who brought the wildcat to the NFL wasn't sparano, it was Lee who is the QB coach for Buffalo.

It seems like Rex is outsmarting himself and all the blustering isn't 'fooling' anyone.

All Pro
    It seems like I'm in the minority here: I think it's a terrible idea to go into the season without practicing a core component of your offense against opposing competition.

It's not only about Tebow. It's about timing for the entire offense, something that is very difficult to nail down in team practices only.

I believe it's a very good idea that we didn't show our (preseason) hand heading into the regular season.