Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 45

Thread: props to austin Howard

  1. #21
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,234
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsNeedNewton View Post
    Maybe it was your angle. I watched the game today and they did a replay of Conner chipping him.
    Chipped him once, Sal makes it sound like it was all the time.

  2. #22
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    22,809
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
    Too focused on the game plan to make the adjustment?
    I agree, it was definitely kinda strange. I had some bad thoughts running through my mind imagining Mark's peril as a Tebow conspiracy.
    Some of those plays looked it was a child getting pushed around...
    There wasn't a game plan the first two preseason games..Sparano admitted that..

  3. #23
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    22,809
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mavericknyc1980 View Post
    Chipped him once, Sal makes it sound like it was all the time.
    Wrong! He said 6 of the 13 plays Howard lined up against C. Johnson...He didn't say every play or all night..

    Show more where I wrote Sal said it was all the time

  4. #24
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    1,234
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Wrong! He said 6 of the 13 plays Howard lined up against C. Johnson...He didn't say every play or all night..

    Show more where I wrote Sal said it was all the time
    Whoa Cmart, if you felt attacked my mistake. I respect you as poster. I read it wrong. Just tired of the medi bashing.

  5. #25
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    283
    Post Thanks / Like
    What I thought was blatantly obvious about Howard's play compared to Hunter's:

    1. Much quicker feet.. did a great job keeping the DE in front of him and kept the DE further away from the QB as he blocked him around the pocket

    2. Better balance... never got spun around or knocked off balance

    3. He got into his blocks better and used his hands effectively

    4. He did a much better job switching off blocks than Hunter

    5. He did a good job getting into his first block and then getting to the second level

    6. He seems much stronger and his athleticism is so much better it jumps off the screen at you.

    7. Mark was never in danger of getting murdered by any of his assignments

    I know it's just one half of one game, but the kid has a lot of positives to take away from it.

  6. #26
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    22,809
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mavericknyc1980 View Post
    Whoa Cmart, if you felt attacked my mistake. I respect you as poster. I read it wrong. Just tired of the medi bashing.
    No problem...Understand....Just posting what I heard...Sal did say he watched the tape 2 Xs..FWIW

  7. #27
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Waxin
    Posts
    547
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    There wasn't a game plan the first two preseason games..Sparano admitted that..
    Thanks for the heads up. Kinda makes it a little weirder to me...

    Side note- isn't it the worst when your tinfoil hat gets a little too crinkled?

    Edit: just fixed myself a freshie, super shiny.
    Last edited by Guy Incognito; 08-27-2012 at 09:10 PM.

  8. #28
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    E'Ville
    Posts
    1,241
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    That was exactly Sal Pal's question....

    Sound Bytes--Sal
    http://espn.go.com/new-york/radio/show?showId=TMKS
    No game-planning first two games I suspect

  9. #29
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    12,695
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Manchez View Post
    What I thought was blatantly obvious about Howard's play compared to Hunter's:

    1. Much quicker feet.. did a great job keeping the DE in front of him and kept the DE further away from the QB as he blocked him around the pocket

    2. Better balance... never got spun around or knocked off balance

    3. He got into his blocks better and used his hands effectively

    4. He did a much better job switching off blocks than Hunter

    5. He did a good job getting into his first block and then getting to the second level

    6. He seems much stronger and his athleticism is so much better it jumps off the screen at you.

    7. Mark was never in danger of getting murdered by any of his assignments

    I know it's just one half of one game, but the kid has a lot of positives to take away from it.
    Agreed and he was a breath of freash air at RT for us. You wrote a very good post and you should be thanked for it! I enjoyed reading it. I am sick of all the" realists "that have the need to remind everyone that it was only one game. I hope its the start of many more good games from Howard. So many of these guys yelled about Mr.T all off season for not getting a RT. Many here told them that may be he thinks Howard is the answer and they went ballistic. Well after ONE game where Howard played well at RT they now feel they have to remind us that it was only one game!

    In any event I am glad that Hunter has been traded and that we will have a new, talented OLman to work into our scheme. Smith just might be better suited to be an OG with his super quick feet and ability to maul opponents in the run game. At 6ft5 and 310 lets hope so! GO JETS!

  10. #30
    Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Atlanta via NJ
    Posts
    8,047
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Manchez View Post
    What I thought was blatantly obvious about Howard's play compared to Hunter's:

    1. Much quicker feet.. did a great job keeping the DE in front of him and kept the DE further away from the QB as he blocked him around the pocket

    2. Better balance... never got spun around or knocked off balance

    3. He got into his blocks better and used his hands effectively

    4. He did a much better job switching off blocks than Hunter

    5. He did a good job getting into his first block and then getting to the second level

    6. He seems much stronger and his athleticism is so much better it jumps off the screen at you.

    7. Mark was never in danger of getting murdered by any of his assignments

    I know it's just one half of one game, but the kid has a lot of positives to take away from it.

    ... great post ...

    ... anyone who doesn't give howard an A or A+ compared to hunter is crazy!!! ...







    l_j_r

  11. #31
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    4,221
    Post Thanks / Like
    If Howard got help on 6 out of 13 plays, that means he went one-on-one in the other 7.

    I'll take seven quality reps against a top pass rusher any day . . .

  12. #32
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    930
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Manchez View Post
    What I thought was blatantly obvious about Howard's play compared to Hunter's:

    1. Much quicker feet.. did a great job keeping the DE in front of him and kept the DE further away from the QB as he blocked him around the pocket

    2. Better balance... never got spun around or knocked off balance

    3. He got into his blocks better and used his hands effectively

    4. He did a much better job switching off blocks than Hunter

    5. He did a good job getting into his first block and then getting to the second level

    6. He seems much stronger and his athleticism is so much better it jumps off the screen at you.

    7. Mark was never in danger of getting murdered by any of his assignments

    I know it's just one half of one game, but the kid has a lot of positives to take away from it.
    Excellent post, to the point clear and concise on your facts, we have many here who could learn a thing or two from u.
    CI thought Howard had a very SOLID game for his first start against the Panthers ones and there best pass rusher

  13. #33
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    509
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    Agreed and he was a breath of freash air at RT for us. You wrote a very good post and you should be thanked for it! I enjoyed reading it. I am sick of all the" realists "that have the need to remind everyone that it was only one game. I hope its the start of many more good games from Howard. So many of these guys yelled about Mr.T all off season for not getting a RT. Many here told them that may be he thinks Howard is the answer and they went ballistic. Well after ONE game where Howard played well at RT they now feel they have to remind us that it was only one game!

    In any event I am glad that Hunter has been traded and that we will have a new, talented OLman to work into our scheme. Smith just might be better suited to be an OG with his super quick feet and ability to maul opponents in the run game. At 6ft5 and 310 lets hope so! GO JETS!
    I agree with you assessment and Machez was right on the nose!

  14. #34
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Posts
    16,741
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    Get your facts straight! Jets plucked him from the PS of the Ravens. They did not pass on him. The Jets wanted him and Baltimore did not match the offer. You make it sound like he was cut by the Ravens. he wasn't. What you are right about is that he is young. Young players develop at different rates. Perhaps we got lucky! Someone in our organization wanted him! He played well last night regardless of your opinion of him. He played against a very, very good passrusher and did not give up a sack. What the heck are you looking for?
    Learn how to read, and understand the english language.

  15. #35
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    22,809
    Post Thanks / Like
    Found this from a week or so ago...Good point about Howard now being on film..Teams will review/scout and try to exploit weaknesses they identify..

    LeCharles Bentley ‏@LeCharlesBent65
    He's got a few things he needs to clean up as he lays film down. The more film he has, the more opp for defenders to attack weakness.

    This new RT for Jets has a shot to be pretty good. Like to see guys work from bottom, good OLmen are made.


    LeCharles Bentley ‏@LeCharlesBent65 Hate to hear that. He has so much ability.#CanBounceBack

    @ProFootballTalk: It's over for Jeff Otah with the Jets http://wp.me/p14QSB-4yGS
    Last edited by C Mart; 09-02-2012 at 07:45 PM.

  16. #36
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    589
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sports View Post
    A very legit question, always protect the QB... basic 101 x's and o's.


    Many folks were enthusiastic with coach Soprano. I guess we'll have to wait until they unveil the wildcat and mid-season for final judgment.
    The OC we should have picked up was Josh McDaniels

  17. #37
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ (Jets Stadium Section 246)
    Posts
    35,760
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't care who is at RT, we'd give him help vs. Mario next week!

  18. #38
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    6,200
    Post Thanks / Like
    So impressed with Howard. Jake Steinberg has been talking him up since February, saying he will have a shot at winning the starting job this training camp. Gotta give that kid props. He is the best Jets writer around. If you don't already, follow him on twitter: @steiny31

  19. #39
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    1,256
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm routing for this kid... Glad he got a chance to play w/ 1st team and has earned a shot...


    makes you wonder... he was never really talked about.. Trade for Otah...

    atleast this kid is young.. let's see what he has.. definitely more upside than Hunter...

  20. #40
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    3,924
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gastineau99 View Post
    So impressed with Howard. Jake Steinberg has been talking him up since February, saying he will have a shot at winning the starting job this training camp. Gotta give that kid props. He is the best Jets writer around. If you don't already, follow him on twitter: @steiny31
    Now that Vrentas' name is swirling, he can step right in just like his man.

    It's a cycle

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us