Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: props to austin Howard

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Manchez View Post
    What I thought was blatantly obvious about Howard's play compared to Hunter's:

1. Much quicker feet.. did a great job keeping the DE in front of him and kept the DE further away from the QB as he blocked him around the pocket

2. Better balance... never got spun around or knocked off balance

3. He got into his blocks better and used his hands effectively

4. He did a much better job switching off blocks than Hunter

5. He did a good job getting into his first block and then getting to the second level

6. He seems much stronger and his athleticism is so much better it jumps off the screen at you.

7. Mark was never in danger of getting murdered by any of his assignments

I know it's just one half of one game, but the kid has a lot of positives to take away from it.
    The biggest thing I saw from him was that even when he got beat initially he would regain his composer, and either push his man out of the play, or was strong enough to hold him with his hands inside the shoulders, and slow him up enough to keep him out of the play. You can see he's inexperienced, but has potential, and stays focused, and confident.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AceBoy View Post
    Let's see how he does against Mario Williams. If he holds his own then it's very promising.
    I am really hoping this guy is ready. Not only is he getting the baptism of fire facing Mario he can't even get help because Keller and Cumberland couldn't block an old lady.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    I am really hoping this guy is ready. Not only is he getting the baptism of fire facing Mario he can't even get help because Keller and Cumberland couldn't block an old lady.

If we do what we did against Carolina (the lone preseason game we actually game-planned for), I think we will be OK.

In the Carolina game, Conner was chipping on nearly every pass play he was in the game. Howard had help on most of his pass protections.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Apache 51 View Post
    Learn how to read, and understand the english language.
    I guess the truth hurts! Try reading Football for Dummies 101.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinstar View Post
    You know what i find Absolutely amazing about this kid and the way he has performed as a RT? This kid has been practicing exclusively as a LT for the most of his career in football . Now he's asked to move to the RT position and for many of us that might appears as a simple change. The problem is, his "plant leg" is completely opposite and thus far it doesn't appear to matter. It is amazing to me that he has done as well as he has thus far.
    He's a good young talent that is really coming into his own now. Good for him and even better for the Jets!!