Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: jets @ philadelphia : Thu, aug. 30 - 6:35 pm ~ ~ ~

Hall Of Fame

Arrow jets @ philadelphia : Thu, aug. 30 - 6:35 pm ~ ~ ~

Tim Tebow will not play against the Eagles during the preseason finale.

> http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/i...-Thursday.html

That signature will haunt me forever.

Hall Of Fame
    ~ ~ 1. Head coach Andy Reid confirmed after this morning's practice that King Dunlap is the new starting left tackle for the Philadelphia Eagles and therefore will not play in Thursday's preseason finale against the New York Jets.

However, general manager Howie Roseman had no comment after Friday's game and again today on whether Dunlap's contract would be adjusted accordingly. Left tackle is a key position in the NFL, regardless of whether your quarterback is right-handed.Dunlap is due to make $925,000 this year, much less than the $3.25 million Bell will receive just for making the team.

rest of article :
    > http://blogs.mcall.com/eagles/2012/0...miss-year.html

All League
    mcelroy will shine in this game and the jets will finally score. at least 7

Yeah, Tebow's the man, he, more than all teammates, doesn't need the practice Thursday.

I hope McElroy tears it up.. What will the media say than.. A 3-way qb controversy?!

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    That signature will haunt me forever.
    thank you ! !

Hall Of Fame
    ~ ~ He likely will play in the Eaglesí preseason finale Thursday against the Jets, although that hasnít been officially announced yet.

> http://www.courierpostonline.com/art.../1015/sports02

Quote Originally Posted by kelly View Post
    ~ ~ 1. Head coach Andy Reid confirmed after this morning's practice that King Dunlap is the new starting left tackle for the Philadelphia Eagles and therefore will not play in Thursday's preseason finale against the New York Jets.

However, general manager Howie Roseman had no comment after Friday's game and again today on whether Dunlap's contract would be adjusted accordingly. Left tackle is a key position in the NFL, regardless of whether your quarterback is right-handed.Dunlap is due to make $925,000 this year, much less than the $3.25 million Bell will receive just for making the team.

rest of article :
    > http://blogs.mcall.com/eagles/2012/0...miss-year.html
    Will Chaz Schillens play this week. It's now or never for the guy. I hope he healthy and able to go out there and compete for a spot on the Jets 53 man roster.

Good Luck Chaz.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Raider9175 View Post
    Will Chaz Schillens play this week. It's now or never for the guy. I hope he healthy and able to go out there and compete for a spot on the Jets 53 man roster.

Good Luck Chaz.
    agreed ! !
    i hope he makes our final roster

cheers ~ ~

Hall Of Fame
    Jason Smith practices, hopes to play in Philly

Jason Smith, run out of St. Louis after three difficult seasons, is glad to have a fresh start with the Jets."Beauty is in the eye of the beholder," the newly-acquired tackle said Wednesday. "To somebody, I was beautiful."Well, let's not go that far. Let's just say the Jets think he's more attractive than Wayne Hunter, whom they shipped to the Rams in a ballyhooed trade for backup right tackles."He's five years younger and a little more athletic" than Hunter, Rex Ryan said. "That's why we made the trade. When the trade was proposed to us, we were like, man, I was comfortable with Wayne in that role, but this is an opportunity. Let's take a look at him and see this young man."

Smith, wearing No. 63, practiced for the first time with his new team. Ryan hopes Smith can play about 10 snaps Thursday night against the Eagles, but he admitted he's not sure if that's possible.This has been a stunning downfall for Smith, the second overall pick in 2009. He took a $6 million pay cut last spring, lost his starting job in training camp to a former sixth-round pick (Barry Richardson) and got traded for a backup. The Rams were so eager to get rid of him they agreed to pay $1.55 million of his $4 million salary for 2012.

"I think a fresh start is good for a lot of people," he said.

Ryan believes Smith was hurt in St. Louis by unfair comparisons to Orlando Pace, a franchise left tackle. Smith agreed."Orlando Pace was an eight-time Pro Bowler, I believe," he said. "There aren't many guys to do that throughout the course of their career, let alone play eight years. I made the statement before that he had his own shoes and I had mine. It's his life. I never looked at it that way. No disrespect, but a lot of people with a pen in their hand looked at it that way, but I didn't. It's their opinion."PHILLY

FINALE : Ryan reiterated that Greg McElroy and Matt Simms will share the quarterbacking duties for the final preseason game. Most of the starters will get the night off.

INJURY REPORT : TE Dustin Keller (hamstring), LB David Harris (ankle) and DT Mike DeVito (calf) were among those that didn't practice. They're all expected to be ready for the season opener ... OLB Ricky Sapp (ankle) will miss his fourth straight preseason game.

TOUGH CUTS : Ryan said the linebacker position might present some of the toughest decisions on the final roster cutdown. Right now, they have 12 linebackers, including eight returning vets plus third-round pick Demario Davis.

PUNTING COMPETITION : Incumbent T.J. Conley said he was a little surprised the team claimed Spencer Lanning on waivers, creating a competition for the final game. Conley's response: Bring it on."I know I'm capable of being a great punter in the NFL, and that's what I plan on doing," he said.He also said this about Lanning's arrival: "I'm not too worried about it. It's competition. I've dealt with it before and I've always come out on top."Actually, that's not accurate. He got cut twice by the Jets, 2009 and 2010.

> http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jet...play-in-philly

why such a early start time?

Cimini: W2W4: Jets vs. Eagles on Thursday

The Jets close the preseason Thursday night in Philadelphia, where they face the Eagles in the annual Backup Bowl. With the season opener 10 days away, Rex Ryan will rest most of his regulars. Ditto, Andy Reid. Still, there are some issues that need to be examined.

Five things to watch:

1. Austin's encore: Austin Howard is expected to be the opening-day starter at right tackle, but that doesn't mean he gets the night off. He's a young player -- he played in four games for the Eagles in 2010 -- and he needs as many reps as possible. He's coming off a good game against the Panthers, and he should be able to build on that, facing the Eagles' backups. If he struggles, wow, that would be a bad sign. The Eagles bring a lot of pressure, so it will be a good opportunity for him to get acclimated against that style of defense.

2. Jason's debut: Former Rams bust Jason Smith, who arrived Tuesday via trade, is taking a crash course on the Tony Sparano playbook. Ryan hopes to play Smith for about 10 plays, although he wouldn't commit to it. It all depends on how quickly Smith can get comfortable with a small package of plays. Smith is slated to play three different spots, backing up at left and right tackle and serving as an extra blocker/jumbo tight end. In St. Louis, he struggled in pass protection, actually whiffing on blocks because he was too aggressive and didn't play with proper balance.

3. A punting controversy: The Jets put the heat on incumbent T.J. Conley by claiming the immortal Spencer Lanning on waivers this week. Conley said he's not too worried -- he's coming off a solid game -- but he needs another one to erase any doubt. Conley has the leg talent, but he's sometimes inconsistent with his mechanics -- in particular, his ball drop.

4. From Terminator to terminated? FB John Conner is the only veteran starter in the game, which should raise some eyebrows. When that happens, it usually means the player's roster spot is in jeopardy. Ryan said Conner is playing because they're thin at fullback. It's hard to imagine a run-oriented team cutting their only pure fullback, but if something betters comes along during the final cutdown, hey, you never know. Conner's stock has dropped significantly since his heady days as a "Hard Knocks" star in 2010.

5. QB rotation. You won't see Mark Sanchez or Tim Tebow in this game. The responsibility of generating the team's first touchdown of the preseason falls to Greg McElroy and Matt Simms. This will be McElroy's first significant action since last summer, when he played well in two games before suffering a season-ending thumb injury. McElroy's roster spot is secure (we think), but the Jets want to see improvement and a command of Sparano's offense. And, oh, yeah, a touchdown would be nice. The Jets became the first team in 35 years to not score a touchdown in its first three preseason games.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jet...vs-eagles-w2w4

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    The Jets close the preseason Thursday night in Philadelphia, where they face the Eagles in the annual Backup Bowl. With the season opener 10 days away, Rex Ryan will rest most of his regulars. Ditto, Andy Reid. Still, there are some issues that need to be examined.

Five things to watch:

1. Austin's encore: Austin Howard is expected to be the opening-day starter at right tackle, but that doesn't mean he gets the night off. He's a young player -- he played in four games for the Eagles in 2010 -- and he needs as many reps as possible. He's coming off a good game against the Panthers, and he should be able to build on that, facing the Eagles' backups. If he struggles, wow, that would be a bad sign. The Eagles bring a lot of pressure, so it will be a good opportunity for him to get acclimated against that style of defense.

2. Jason's debut: Former Rams bust Jason Smith, who arrived Tuesday via trade, is taking a crash course on the Tony Sparano playbook. Ryan hopes to play Smith for about 10 plays, although he wouldn't commit to it. It all depends on how quickly Smith can get comfortable with a small package of plays. Smith is slated to play three different spots, backing up at left and right tackle and serving as an extra blocker/jumbo tight end. In St. Louis, he struggled in pass protection, actually whiffing on blocks because he was too aggressive and didn't play with proper balance.

3. A punting controversy: The Jets put the heat on incumbent T.J. Conley by claiming the immortal Spencer Lanning on waivers this week. Conley said he's not too worried -- he's coming off a solid game -- but he needs another one to erase any doubt. Conley has the leg talent, but he's sometimes inconsistent with his mechanics -- in particular, his ball drop.

4. From Terminator to terminated? FB John Conner is the only veteran starter in the game, which should raise some eyebrows. When that happens, it usually means the player's roster spot is in jeopardy. Ryan said Conner is playing because they're thin at fullback. It's hard to imagine a run-oriented team cutting their only pure fullback, but if something betters comes along during the final cutdown, hey, you never know. Conner's stock has dropped significantly since his heady days as a "Hard Knocks" star in 2010.

5. QB rotation. You won't see Mark Sanchez or Tim Tebow in this game. The responsibility of generating the team's first touchdown of the preseason falls to Greg McElroy and Matt Simms. This will be McElroy's first significant action since last summer, when he played well in two games before suffering a season-ending thumb injury. McElroy's roster spot is secure (we think), but the Jets want to see improvement and a command of Sparano's offense. And, oh, yeah, a touchdown would be nice. The Jets became the first team in 35 years to not score a touchdown in its first three preseason games.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jet...vs-eagles-w2w4
    thanx c mart ! !

cheers ~ ~

Hall Of Fame

Hmmm King Dunlap is their LT? I thought they signed Bell for big bucks for that purpose.

Hall Of Fame
    eagles a win away from repeating 1995...

> http://www.phillyburbs.com/sports/ea...9171df669.html