Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Pasts* cut Jabar Gaffney

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Gaffney could outplay Holmes at this point. He showed nothing last night on the deep balls. I know he's been out of the game a few weeks, but that's been Gaffney's bread and butter. Deep back shoulder stuff.

I'd take David Boston at this point. We're a wasteland of talent on O.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RussianGreen View Post
    He is solid, but not explosive.
    But we have an explosive player - Schilling.
    Too bad he is not solid.
    Very profound.

But Curt Schilling lost the explosiveness on his fastball years ago.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Question: Stephen Hill is cut today. Gaffney and Hill are free agents. Who would you sign?

Unless we're talking about demoting Kerley to #4 and having Gaffney play in the slot (where he'll surely play up to his career numbers) and never giving Jordan White an NFL down I'd say let's go for it. Remember he made those yards as a #1/#2 receiver for the Skins and Broncos. He's played on 4 different teams. He's 31 and he's injured.

8 seasons of suck don't go away just because you catch 60 balls on a losing team.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by neevsmazda07 View Post
    so u still want chad schitlens instead???
    No I'm assuming he gets cut next week. That kid is a waste of roster space.

My prediction: Holmes/Hill/Kerley/Turner/White

That's our WR group right there. Chaz might have speed and height but we just drafted that in the 2nd round. He would have stuck around had he gotten rid of that reputation of injury plagued player. He didn't. He's a goner. Unless we carry 6 WRs on the roster this year and he keeps not making the 45 game day cut.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southside View Post
    Question: Stephen Hill is cut today. Gaffney and Hill are free agents. Who would you sign?

Unless we're talking about demoting Kerley to #4 and having Gaffney play in the slot (where he'll surely play up to his career numbers) and never giving Jordan White an NFL down I'd say let's go for it. Remember he made those yards as a #1/#2 receiver for the Skins and Broncos. He's played on 4 different teams. He's 31 and he's injured.

8 seasons of suck don't go away just because you catch 60 balls on a losing team.
    Hill doesn't need to be out there all day. He's clearly a situational player in year 1. Gaffney and Hill can rotate.

I don't know what the hell got into JI in everyone thinking Hill was going to be ready to see a starter's worth of snaps for 16+ games in year 1. He's no Justin Blackmon. He's not ready, and brutally raw.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    Hill doesn't need to be out there all day. He's clearly a situational player in year 1. Gaffney and Hill can rotate.

I don't know what the hell got into JI in everyone thinking Hill was going to be ready to see a starter's worth of snaps for 16+ games in year 1. He's no Justin Blackmon. He's not ready, and brutally raw.
    He's our only deep threat. He's already the 2nd best WR on the team. He's playing 16 games and he's going to be developing through experience. You don't trade up in the 2nd round to draft a WR and rotate him with some journey man 31 year old. The Jets aren't making another Derrick Mason mistake (a veteran WR that doesn't know how to keep his mouth shut).

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post

True. Plus if Holmes gets banged up again it at least leaves another vet who can step in and play with in the offense. Like you said it takes some of the pressure off of Hill as well. He clearly has some learning to do in this league.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    All kinds of wrong here. Its a little baffling that you're that out to lunch.

He's our only deep threat. He's already the 2nd best WR on the team.
    Exaclty. What does that tell you when a guy who's never played a regular season game in his life and was hardly all-world WR coming out of college is your second best option.... Ouch.

You don't trade up in the 2nd round to draft a WR and rotate him with some journey man 31 year old.
    Uh ya, you do actually. I'm sorry, did we draft Calvin Johnson out of GT, or Stephen "28 receptions"? Clearly he's got nothing to learn.

...He'll play 16 games alright. He doesn't need to be in there for 160 snaps though.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Gafney would be a solid pickup. He's dependable and smart. I'm surprised he got cut. He will play with somebody this year and be productive...I'm sure of that.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    We need veteran help pretty badly, and Gaffney is a reliable veteran with tread left on the tires. We really need this badly. Glass Schillens did not pan out.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Make it happen. I can live with Holmes,Gaffney,Hill,Kerely and White. With McKnight coming out the back field with swing passes and screens. Gaffney and a vet blocking TE would be a decent mini draft. Another RT would be a bonus.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Gaffney is not what this team needs. Does anyone that honestly wants him think he's the missing key this team needs? Does anyone think he's going to save Sanchez', Rex, or Tanny's job this year?
    Obviously not, so why not let Hill get used to the NFL and let Turner and Kerley have a chance. Stop grabbing at these bottom feeding roster cuts.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    I sit here, enthralled, by the brilliant parsing of this post.
    Any time.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Another thing I notice about our wideouts is they are running routes no different then when Schotty was here. I hope these routes was extra fluff. I notice one crossing route that got Hill almost killed but nothing more then that.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by The Ego Trip View Post
    Gaffney is not what this team needs. Does anyone that honestly wants him think he's the missing key this team needs? Does anyone think he's going to save Sanchez', Rex, or Tanny's job this year?
    Obviously not, so why not let Hill get used to the NFL and let Turner and Kerley have a chance. Stop grabbing at these bottom feeding roster cuts.
    Again, another Sanchez hater. Look, our #1 and #2 wideouts had key drops yesterday and one which cost an INT.

The first drive he was crisp until they decided to go with the running game (Is Paul Hackett behind the scenes?).

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    Very profound.

But Curt Schilling lost the explosiveness on his fastball years ago.
    Sorry for a typo.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by The Ego Trip View Post
    Apparently the 35 possessions and 0 Touchdown thing is something that we're just going to flip the switch on week 1 with no problem, right? Along with the injuries we'll hire Merlin to cure our WRs of. OH and we'll use superglue on their hands too.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Pass. If he couldn't make NEs piss poor squad he shouldn't be on ours.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sports View Post
    Again, another Sanchez hater. Look, our #1 and #2 wideouts had key drops yesterday and one which cost an INT.

The first drive he was crisp until they decided to go with the running game (Is Paul Hackett behind the scenes?).
    I'm actually a Sanchez supporter, I just don't see him still here next year if we don't at least make the playoffs. With an easy schedule I feel we can do that with who we have and don't need to add Jabar (who doesn't even know the offense BY THE WAY) to propel our receiving core into hall-of-fame status. Preseason is preseason, don't flip the panic switch yet.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ring....ring... Hey Gaff Baby, it's Rex! We've got Sanchez AND Tebow! C'mon down the (click) ... hello? Hello?

Hhhmmmm.....

Ring....ring... Donte MY MAN! It's Rex! Listen, we've got Sanche (Click).... Hello? Hello?!

Damn!

Ring....ring... Hello, Domino's...