Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718

Thread: Cimini: Jets trade Hunter for Rams' Smith

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lageman4ever View Post
    If that happens it will be a big upgrade from last year. The running game would benefit, Sanchez's passing (with more time to throw), really the entire offense would get better.
    +1
    agreed...everyone from Mark, to Holmes, Hill, Tebow and Greene will benefit from steady O-Line play. This is the army it looks like we are going to war with. It's time to get amped for the Buffalo game!!!!!!!!!!!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by copernicus View Post
    We got rid of a headache? Yeah, a self inflicted one that the JETS brought on themselves.

It was painfully obvious that Hunter needed to be replaced from his first start LAST SEASON. This is the point! The entire season Hunter struggled.

If the JETS addressed this earlier, which many fans were expressing, we wouldnt be basing our entire offense's success on whether or not a journey man like Howard and/or a bust thus far in Smith can succeed.

When you factor in how much time and energy was placed on signing Stanton, trading picks (could have been used on OLINE help) for Tebow, cutting Stanton, and then the media circus everything Tebow brings, maybe, just maybe, the JETS front office could have recognized this earlier and not waited until TWO WEEKS before the start of the season and almost mutiny from the fans to address it.
    it's easy to complain the jets 'didn't address RT'. it's harder to actually suggest a viable replacement for hunter when you factor in the jets' cap situation, the lack of RTs in FA and how much winston was signed for, and the RTs available early in the draft that would have to have been taken instead of coples or hill. between FA and the draft, the jets addressed wr, s, olb and de. so many here think that the jets are the only team with a crappy starter somewhere. most teams have a hunter in their lineup. just not at RT.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by copernicus View Post
    We got rid of a headache? Yeah, a self inflicted one that the JETS brought on themselves.

It was painfully obvious that Hunter needed to be replaced from his first start LAST SEASON. This is the point! The entire season Hunter struggled.

If the JETS addressed this earlier, which many fans were expressing, we wouldnt be basing our entire offense's success on whether or not a journey man like Howard and/or a bust thus far in Smith can succeed.

When you factor in how much time and energy was placed on signing Stanton, trading picks (could have been used on OLINE help) for Tebow, cutting Stanton, and then the media circus everything Tebow brings, maybe, just maybe, the JETS front office could have recognized this earlier and not waited until TWO WEEKS before the start of the season and almost mutiny from the fans to address it.

I don't mind repeating since I have nothing better to do right now. The Jets did try and make a trade this offseason but it didn't happen. That is trying to address the RT position earlier correct? Everyone knows the WH contract making matters worse. Ducasse is the culprit here, he is not what the Jets expected, which was being there starting RT in 2012...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    it's easy to complain the jets 'didn't address RT'. it's harder to actually suggest a viable replacement for hunter when you factor in the jets' cap situation, the lack of RTs in FA and how much winston was signed for, and the RTs available early in the draft that would have to have been taken instead of coples or hill. between FA and the draft, the jets addressed wr, s, olb and de. so many here think that the jets are the only team with a crappy starter somewhere. most teams have a hunter in their lineup. just not at RT.
    +1

we need to stop underestimating the job Tanny has and stop thinking that the job of a Gm is as easy as franchise mode in Madden. I am not that high on on Tannenbaum, but given our cap situation, and our drafting needs/strategy, it was worth giving Sporano the shot to fix hunter. Early on we found out he couldn't do it and now he's gone. Be happy for a change.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    What is the point on commenting after the fact?
    This says everything that needs to be said about it.

You comment after (and during the regular season), because then you can have an accurate idea of what actually worked, what actually didn't, and why. I.e. facts.

Conversely, why comment in the way JI is doing now (i.e. whine incessantly, complain endlessly, play fan-GM endlessly and demand everyone be fired and or cut) before a single down of football that counts has been played?

What, exactly, does that accomplish Beer? What does the endless "I give up on the season, lets fire and cut everyone, and sign every ex-Jet we can think of" talk do that is so much better than a reasonable approach that lets events acctually occur before we judge them?

Rational analysis is fine. What JI is doing, colelctively abandoning hope all ye who enter here, is f*cking lame.

Quote Originally Posted by First DOWN! View Post
    Every passionate fanbase does this. I see no problem with fans expressing their opinions on a public fan site like this. Unless someone is personally attacking another poster, why do people get upset with another person's opinion on a team they both follow?
    Just so I'm clear here:

Their Opinions = Ok

My Opinions on Their Opinions = Not Ok.

Got it.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by carlito1171 View Post
    +1
    agreed...everyone from Mark, to Holmes, Hill, Tebow and Greene will benefit from steady O-Line play. This is the army it looks like we are going to war with. It's time to get amped for the Buffalo game!!!!!!!!!!!

The FO took a calculated risk in skipping a RT in the draft for a BPA defensive end. Now it looks like that bet might really pay off. With an in-house replacement at RT the Jets could have a stable OL AND a fearsome defensive front four. Our team could make some noise this year !

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    This says everything that needs to be said about it.

You comment after (and during the regular season), because then you can have an accurate idea of what actually worked, what actually didn't, and why. I.e. facts.

Conversely, why comment in the way JI is doing now (i.e. whine incessantly, complain endlessly, play fan-GM endlessly and demand everyone be fired and or cut) before a single down of football that counts has been played?

What, exactly, does that accomplish Beer? What does the endless "I give up on the season, lets fire and cut everyone, and sign every ex-Jet we can think of" talk do that is so much better than a reasonable approach that lets events acctually occur before we judge them?

Rational analysis is fine. What JI is doing, colelctively abandoning hope all ye who enter here, is f*cking lame.

Just so I'm clear here:

Their Opinions = Ok

My Opinions on Their Opinions = Not Ok.

Got it.
    No you didn't get it. And I don't think you will.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Shove it sideways, homer.
    Umm, errrmm, ok...

I was being serious, but I guess I did forget the disclaimer, "In case you give a ****..."

But so be it...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    No you didn't get it. And I don't think you will.
    No, YOU, don't get it.

Anybody can sit on his couch and pound away at their keyboard and ***** about moves made or not made, but YOU, and nobody on this site, understands all the dynamics of being able to make the move, and not have a clue of the facts or much of what you're talkinga bout.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    Umm, errrmm, ok...

I was being serious, but I guess I did forget the disclaimer, "In case you give a ****..."

But so be it...
    Did you not see the dancing alien?

Would have been better?

In any event, I need a break, this place is driving me up a wall.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by New Jerzey Jet View Post
    Only the jets could find a way to trade hunter for a worse tackle...smith is horrible.
    Please tell us all you obviously know about him. I have read that he is very talented but suffered a severe concussion in his rookie year. I also read that he is a very excellent run blocker! Ya think that perhaps a change of scenery might help him? I do not know but I am sure that you do. The guy is very quick on his feet and can be an excellent blocking TE. What say you?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Did you not see the dancing alien?

Would have been better?

In any event, I need a break, this place is driving me up a wall.
    I guess I missed it...

Yep, and I find it kind of funny your angle throughout this thread has been my angle for years, and much of the reason why I've been brash with posters.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    No, YOU, don't get it.

Anybody can sit on his couch and pound away at their keyboard and ***** about moves made or not made, but YOU, and nobody on this site, understands all the dynamics of being able to make the move, and not have a clue of the facts or much of what you're talkinga bout.

No one here knows the complete facts unless they work for the Jets and are privy to what really is the thinking behind all these moves.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    No one here knows the complete facts unless they work for the Jets and are privy to what really is the thinking behind all these moves.
    But yet everyone is still equiped to comment on the merit of said moves?

Oh teh ironing!?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    I would agree Aug. My beef is that without an OLINE you could argue you have no team. No OLINE translates to no running or passing game putting the defense on the field multiple times before breaking down.

Back up QB, safety, DE, and Wr all should have taken a back seat until the RT position was addressed.

The JETS actions this off season feed the argument that the JETS were more focussed on the back page. Trading for Tebow and the circus they knew it would bring rather than solidifying the OLINE issues from the very start of the off season it opened the FO to criticism. The fact that we are scrambling for a RT two weeks before the season starts is a recipe for disaster. Much easier to hide a weak safety or Wr than RT....

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rams acquire OT Wayne Hunter; Sam Bradford projected to be placed on IR by Wednesday. -- Faux John Madden (@FauxJohnMadden)

LOL!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasper17 View Post
    Please admit that either of you are at least able to realize why that isn't a relevant critique of his abilities. At least post a video showing his technique, footwork, hand placement, etc.

Obviously it is pretty bad that he either didn't know or didn't hear the snap count, but Jenkins was past him before he got out of his stance. It wasn't even like Smith was just slow getting out of his stance, it's plain as day that he wasn't aware of the snap.

Yes, again, that isn't really excusable but its not like he was getting bull rushed, hand slapped, or tossed around like an empty ragdoll like someone else folks may have known.

Another prime example why most of the deeks on this site have no business determining who is and isn't teh suck.
    How many times have you seen that happen?

I can remember 2 other occurrences. It's something that should never happen in the NFL.

And I still think Smith is better than Hunter.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dennis Waszak Jr. ‏@DWAZ73
    RT @HBalzer721 Trade of Jason Smith & Wayne Hunter wasn't finalzed as of 3 pm Central. Source says deal not reported to league by that time

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure if it's already been posted here, but NFL.com are reporting that Smith signed a revised deal which brings his 2012 salary down to the same amount we were paying Hunter anyway.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Burwell: Trading Smith a smart move

For so many reasons both large and small, one of the most difficult things for any organization to do in pro football is to have the guts to say goodbye to a first-round draft pick. So when the Rams decided on Monday to trade away Jason Smith, the No. 2 overall pick in the 2009 NFL Draft, it was a clear admission that the organization knows it made a costly error in talent evaluation, not to mention a terrible investment in valuable salary-cap space.

However in passing off the extremely talented but underachieving right tackle to the New York Jets, this was not a colossal bruise to the football smarts of the existing Rams brain trust, merely a little necessary clean up on Aisle One from a big mess left behind by previous failed regimes. General manager Les Snead and head coach Jeff Fisher were able to ditch Smith with a clean conscience, mainly because this mistake doesn't count against their records. Trading him away was not only the smart thing to do, it was also the most compassionate thing to do, because after all those concussions, Smith was no longer the big, mean and bruising young prospect that was drafted three years ago, and because of that he may never live up to the high expectations of the organization and the fan base.

So the Rams swap Smith out for tackle Wayne Hunter, a 10-year veteran who fell out of favor with Jets fans when he was elevated (and failed) as a starter last year. "We just felt like it was a good deal for both teams and probably a better deal for both players, just a fresh start," Fisher said after Tuesday's practice at Rams Park.

As he left the building on Monday for the final time, heading off to New York and a new football life, Smith was the unfortunate symbol of everything that had dragged the Rams organization so far down in the first place and led to the hiring of Fisher and Snead. By any measure, he was a bust as the second pick in the '09 draft, but I believe he belongs more under the column of "injury-related bust" than "bad talent evaluation bust." He was supposed to be an anchor on the left edge, but that didn't work out mainly because I don't think he was coached very well in his first three years in the NFL.

Still, I was never worked up about the ramifications of moving a high first-round pick to the right side of the line, because I just feel like the object to building a great offensive line is to assemble the best five linemen and get them all on the field at the same time no matter how it works out.

So when Rodger Saffold became available a year later and his quick, athletic feet made him better suited to protect Sam Bradford's blind side, it made sense to shift Smith over to the right side, hoping a change in scenery would better fit his mean personality and his ability as an effective, mauling run blocker. But then the concussions started coming, and then he suffered the big hit last year when he was scared out of his wits and believing for a few haunting moments that he might have suffered life-threatening spinal cord damage.

It was a false alarm, but Smith was never the same after that. If you talked to Smith this summer, you could hear in his voice a more introspective man who loved his family, embraced his religion and no longer considered football to be the defining element of his life. That may have made him a better husband and family man, but it became a detriment to his football personality.

If you want to know why there was wholesale housecleaning, Smith is the quintessential symbol of the old Rams. Buzzard's luck piled on top of growth-stifling bad coaching, mucked up by questionable talent evaluation.

Regardless of the reasons for his lack of success in St. Louis, Smith was another failed high draft pick, another critical selection that went wrong. But he wasn't alone. Why has this organization been so bad for so long? Horrid personnel decisions by every regime that has been in place here over the past 12 bad drafts.

From 2005 to 2009, the drafts that should have stocked this roster with veterans turned out to be almost a complete washout for the Rams. No one from the '05 draft class is still on the roster. No one from the '06 draft class is still on the roster. No one from the '07 draft class is still on the roster and only Chris Long remains from 2008. And now with Smith out the door, only three players from the 2009 draft are left (middle linebacker James Laurinaitis, cornerback Bradley Fletcher and defensive tackle Darell Scott), and only one of them is a starter (Laurinaitis) and one might be out the door by week's end (Scott).

So in a five-year span that should have been the very foundation for a successful organization, the Rams dramatically crapped out on draft night after draft night. Out of a possible 44 players selected between '05 and '09, the Rams are left with only two starters, no Pro Bowlers and one back-up.

Three players in five years.

The nightmarish '06 draft was the worst ever, a complete and utter disaster. The '06 Ty Hill/Joe Klopfenstein/Claude Wroten/Jon Alston/Dominique Byrd draft class was particularly cringe-worthy because out of the 10 players the Rams selected (including three third-round picks), none are earning a living in the NFL anymore.

To be fair, not all of this poor draft retention can be blamed on bad drafting, because 11 of those 44 Rams draft picks are still in the NFL, six of them good enough to be starters somewhere else. Some of it is as a result of poor coaching, some of it's a result of bad pro personnel evaluations that let good players go (see: Damione Lewis). But most of it is because year after year after year after year, someone sat in that draft room and systematically scuttled the personnel department's hard work, altered the draft board then chose the wrong players (former team president John Shaw).

That's why a new regime is in town, to fix the devastation from so many bad drafts from so many failed front-office combinations since the turn of the century. So it was easy to pull the trigger on a Jason Smith trade because they knew picking him wasn't their mistake. But I suspect they also understood that the longer he stayed around, before too long, they would have begrudgingly had no choice but to accept some sense of ownership.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/colum...2c2494540.html