Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Cimini: Jets trade Hunter for Rams' Smith

We traded for a bust? Hm...alright.

Quote Originally Posted by Conkboy View Post
    This guy was drafted second overall? Rams want to dump his contract because he was beat out. Lets not put Howard in the HOF after one preseason game. I would like this trade and he has this season and next left on his contract with an option for another year if we care....
    True Smith is a bust considering he was chosen 2nd overall... but still it would be an amazing trade. You get real depth at that spot for the price of.... wayne hunter? I would be kinda shocked if this deal actually goes through.

Would be a great pickup but what is the money due? #2 overall that will be a huge chunk of change and trading Hunter doesn't free up space.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Sports View Post
    On July 30, 2009 the Rams agreed to terms with Smith on a six-year contract with $33 million in guarantees. The maximum value of the deal is $61 million. The sixth year is voidable, which would leave Smith with $6.6 million per year over five years.

Currently, Smith is the starting right tackle for the Rams. Though drafted as a left tackle he has been beaten out by 2010 Rams rookie Rodger Saffold.[13] As a rookie, in 2009, Smith played mostly right tackle, although he played some left tackle—the position for which he was drafted. In his rookie season Smith suffered a serious concussion November 22, 2009. "My situation was real serious," Smith related and it caused him to miss the remainder of his rookie season

Source; Wikipedia

Thx, so the Jets are taking on a $6.6 million contract in exchange for Hunter's $2.5 million? That is big money for a RT..Am I wrong here?

Edit after Dirtstar's post..

$4 million this year with voidable contract in 2013 isn't a bad trade off but the Jets are not going to pay his $11 million roster bonus in 2013..
    Last edited by JETFAN1; 08-27-2012 at 08:34 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Can someone confirm this. Cimini's twitter doesn't show this.

Hell freaking no. Schotty is trying to bamboozle us. They both suck but Smith's contract is worse.

They reworked his deal.

All Pro
    This dude Smith is as bad as Hunter . Atleast Hunter was undrafted,but this Joker has all the potential in the world but can't perform. What does this sound like to anyone.

The offensive Vernon Gholston.

All League
    From all accounts, Smith is a mauler as a run blocker, and struggles at Pass Pro. I'm not sure if this is to compete with Howard, Slauson or to improve our jumbo set, while upgrading the OL depth. I think the jumbo package/depth is probably most likely. I'm all for this move.

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Can someone confirm this. Cimini's twitter doesn't show this.
    yes, it does: https://twitter.com/RichCimini

and now, a bunch of others are confirming:

Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora
    Can confirm Rams and Jets close to swap of Hunter for Smith. Rams new regime sees Smith as a rote, limited player as wrote a few weeks back
    Expand

Manish Mehta Manish Mehta ‏@MMehtaNYDN
    I've been told that the Wayne Hunter trade to the Rams is "possible" at this point. Don't know much more yet. #nyj
    Expand

Albert Breer Albert Breer ‏@AlbertBreer
    Jets are on the verge of acquiring OT Jason Smith from St. Louis via trade.

Manish Mehta ‏@MMehtaNYDN
    I was just told that the Wayne Hunter deal to the Rams for RT Jason Smith "is going to happen" now.

All Pro
    So it will cost us an extra 1.6 mil, then we rework his contract next year, or cut him as the case may be. That's like signing Smith for a one year 1.6mil contract considering we already wasted the 2.4 on a useless player. I like it. Sorry St Louis.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post
    i can't believe it's actually possible to trade Wayne Hunter.

i mean, really.
    it's pretty ridiculous thinking about it. Who in the their right mind would trade for him after all the recent PUBLIC comments about how horrible he is?

Quote Originally Posted by mavericknyc1980 View Post
    They reworked his deal.
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...-takes-pay-cut

Hall Of Fame
    Thanks Dirt. First time I went there it didn't show the tweet.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
    If it takes Hunter off the team I guess its ok.

Please nothing higher than a 6th rounder though.
    Wooooo....that's not Tanny. he will trade away picks..that's what he does.

Mannish is the worst. Absolute worst. Total Tebow nuthugger

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Thanks Dirt. First time I went there it didn't show the tweet.
    no problem, had to go back and check for myself to make sure i wasn't quoting a fake account

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    Wooooo....that's not Tanny. he will trade away picks..that's what he does.
    Lets really hope not.

Smith is really really really awful.

Trade is a wash in my book, at least Smith has/had potential.

All League
    Marginal upgrade. I still think Austin Howard starts. They did Hunter a favor by getting him out of town when the media/fans view him as a pariah.