Thread: 5 Unexpected players who will have a huge impact for the Jets in 2012

Undrafted Free Agent

5 Unexpected players who will have a huge impact for the Jets in 2012

Kenrick Ellis-this guy is a beast in the middle and with him and Pouha rotating at nose tackles don't be surprised if our rush defense improves dramatically this year. I see Ellis becoming the Kris Jenkins we miss oh so dearly.He just has to stay well conditioned so he can give 100% every time he's out there.

Laron Landry- It does not appear that this guy is rehabbing a bad ankle, if he's healthy be prepared to see a beast on the field, he can come down and make tackles and he can ball hawk in the secondary. He can hit with the best of em and he is passionate about getting his career rolling again and showcase his true potential. Lets just pray he stays healthy.

Joe Mcknight- out of the 4 RBs (Greene,Powell,Gannaway) he is the only one who has the speed and ability to run east and west to break the big play. I know Joe will specialize as a KR/PR and Powell is being considered as the 3rd down back, but I believe he will work his way into the offense to be used for screen plays and tosses, because he can be dangerous in the open space. He has to hold onto the football and make that next step as a big role player. Remember he was to be the man who replaced everything that Leon Washington did.

Austin Howard- there is no question that Howard gave us all a sigh of relief this past Sunday when we didn't even hear his name called once. All eyes were on him and he stepped up against one of the better pass rushers in the game in Johnson. He will be better than Wayne Hunter and you will notice his impact immediately as there will be more time for Sanchez in the pocket and the running game will also improve. Wayne Hunter was miserable and Howard may not be great but he will certainly be an improvement to the atrocity we had on the right side last yr.

Aaron Maybin- The guy simply has it all, yes he's undersized and already labeled as a bust, but sometimes players need a new scenery and a second chance. Maybin got his second chance, and he's going to take full advantage as long as he gets his playing time he will be this teams best pass rusher. He showed signs of it last year, but I believe this year he will be more comfortable in the scheme and Rex will let him loose. Maybin also has the opportunity to be an impact player on special teams coverage, as he already has a block this pre-season. I asked him in mini-camp why he didn't perform well in Buffalo and he told me in disgust, "simple, they didn't play me!" He has nothing to lose now, he will continue to impress us.

Coples

Ellis

Davis

Allen/Bush

Sanchez

The last guy will have a breakout year.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    Coples

Ellis

Davis

Allen/Bush

Sanchez

guys like Coples and Sanchez are expected to do well for us you might as well add Wilkerson to that list then. I mean unexpected, as in guys that are currently overlooked or not in the spotlight that much.

I agree with Davis as a third rounder no one is talking about him as much and I think he will find himself getting playing time on run defense packages. But I can't see him making the immediate impact like Harris did his rookie yr.

Bush and Allen are question marks, they're rookies in the back of the depth chart you'll be going out on a limb by saying they will have impactful roles this yr.

Coples

Ellis

Davis

Allen/Bush

Sanchez

I really hope so too and like the improvement I've seen in his game.

Quote Originally Posted by NYJETS2121 View Post
    guys like Coples and Sanchez are expected to do well for us you might as well add Wilkerson to that list then. I mean unexpected, as in guys that are currently overlooked or not in the spotlight that much.

I agree with Davis as a third rounder no one is talking about him as much and I think he will find himself getting playing time on run defense packages. But I can't see him making the immediate impact like Harris did his rookie yr.

Bush and Allen are question marks, they're rookies in the back of the depth chart you'll be going out on a limb by saying they will have impactful roles this yr.
    Honestly, the entire nation has written Sanchez off. I believe that he has the demeanor and has put in the work that will show he's ready to lead this team. You can see it in his physical presence (he is in better shape, bigger, stronger, more zip on passes) and presence in the pocket, decision making and accuracy.

I hope he shuts up the "experts" who think Tebow is going to start because he's better or injury or whatever.

Shut them up, Mark. Good luck this season. Jets Nation is behind you.

I've been slightly disappointed in Davis, and somewhat more disappointed in Bush in the preseason. I still think big things are in store for Davis, but the FO brought Bush in selling him as a crafty, already-polished CB/FS hybrid who made up for in instinct what he lacked in physical ability. He's just sort of been standing around from what I've seen in the preseason.

Much, much more excited about Antonio Allen.

Even though Stephen was a high profile pick, i don't think anyone expects him to be very productive this year but I do... I think he will have his drops and such but I think he will be surprisingly productive being that we have no one else on offense. I say 900 yards and 6 TD's for the rookie.

K Ellis, Bilal Powell, Demario, Landry

Honestly, the entire nation has written Sanchez off. I believe that he has the demeanor and has put in the work that will show he's ready to lead this team. You can see it in his physical presence (he is in better shape, bigger, stronger, more zip on passes) and presence in the pocket, decision making and accuracy.

I hope he shuts up the "experts" who think Tebow is going to start because he's better or injury or whatever.

Shut them up, Mark. Good luck this season. Jets Nation is behind you.
    Yes...the poise...pocket presence...the extra zip on his passes, are true signs that he's put in the work this offseason. And is now ready to put last year behind him, and move forward in his development to another level.

He's going to have a good year.

Quinton Coples is looking like the real deal out of this draft. Say what you want but this guy has over the three preseason games: 3sacks, 2forced fumbles & 1pass deflection plus a couple of QB hurries.

All League
    third down conversions: 9 of 41

81 rushing plays with an average of 3.9 yards per carry.

our "ground and pound" is not working right now. and who knows it might turn around in the first regular season game but it will still be worth a look to see who is out there when the smoke clears from all the nfl team cuts/free agency.

Quote Originally Posted by LB54 View Post
    Quinton Coples is looking like the real deal out of this draft. Say what you want but this guy has over the three preseason games: 3sacks, 2forced fumbles & 1pass deflection plus a couple of QB hurries.
    He's an impact Beast that will get better and better, if he's dedicated and puts in the work in the offseason. Like Mo...he will get stronger, quicker-faster, and with a year's worth of experience...oh man...he's going to be a terror in opponent's backfield. And pursue all over the place.

All League
    Kenrick Ellis (NT of the future)

Sanchez (with protection, may have a breakout year)

Ducasse (ferocious run blocker)

Jordan White (I think people are still underrating him on this board)

Powell (best all around back we have on this roster)

Nobody expected much of anything from these guys a few months ago but I think they'll all have a good season:

Kenrick Ellis

Bilal Powell

Antonio Allen

Jordan White

Vladimir Ducasse