Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Let's talk opening day: Ryan Fitzpatrick

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

Let's talk opening day: Ryan Fitzpatrick

This pre-season:

Ryan Fitzpatrick has completed just 21-of-43 passes (48.8 percent) for 208 yards (4.8 YPA), one touchdown, and no interceptions through three preseason games.

He's also taken six sacks, although five came in the opener against the Redskins. Fitzpatrick was much better in preseason last year, only to start hot and fade as the real games progressed. NFL Net's Mike Lombardi has suggested defenses have caught onto the Bills' offensive scheme, realizing they can't throw vertically and struggle to hold protection for long stretches. Fitzpatrick's arm-strength limitations mean the former probably isn't going to change.
    Can we contain the Buffalo offense? Related to Fitzpatrick is the success Stevie Johnson had over Revis last season. I want to win this game in the worst way.

If our offense can wake up, I think Buffalo's offense (and Buffalo in general) is in for a re-definition of the word "daaaaaaaamn".

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Huge game for both teams. The bills are going to want to back up all the unwaranted hype they have gotten, and the Jets are going to want to shut everyone up. Can't wait.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
    Huge game for both teams. The bills are going to want to back up all the unwaranted hype they have gotten, and the Jets are going to want to shut everyone up. Can't wait.
    +1

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    +1
    We have had some huge home openers in the Ryan era. Beating the Pats and Cboys was awesOme. Raven game never happened.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    This pre-season:

Can we contain the Buffalo offense? Related to Fitzpatrick is the success Stevie Johnson had over Revis last season. I want to win this game in the worst way.

If our offense can wake up, I think Buffalo's offense (and Buffalo in general) is in for a re-definition of the word "daaaaaaaamn".
    Fitzpatrick actually performed pretty well against us in the second matchup.

That being said, I think we match up incredibly well with the Bills, especially now that we can bring the heat without heavy blitzes. They're going to get rid of the ball quickly, but I think we're ready for it. Stevie Johnson actually does well against Revis, but we're still talking about Revis. LOVE the Jets run defense this year too.

All that matters in Week 1 is how OUR offense does. If we can get to 20 points, I really like our chances. Protect Sanchez and avoid more than one turnover and it is a win, no doubt.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    We have had some huge home openers in the Ryan era. Beating the Pats and Cboys was awesOme. Raven game never happened.
    Defense is much improved this year, and that's saying something. Offense needs to wake up, but for some reason i think Sanchez can out-perform Fitzpatrick.

I have no belief whatsoever that the Bills will be able to run on us. Zero. It's all on Fitzpatrick, and maybe some crappy screen passes.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    The obvious big improvement on the Bills is their DL. That can cause the Jets less then dominant OL some problems. Though overall, Shonn Greene and the Jets have been able to effectively run the ball on the Bills in the past. And I still think they will be effective enough to allow Sanchez to use his play action magic, to connect vertically down the field. Especially if Keller is healthy and playing.

The Bills won't be running very effectively against this Jets D.

Jets DL and blitz sub packages will cause Fitz some really big problems. I see Jets winning the turnover battle. He's going to get picked off by Jets secondary once or twice for sure.

Landry and Bell should be able to do a good job policing the middle of the field.

IMO, Jets can score 23-24 points and win this game.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenReaper View Post
    The obvious big improvement on the Bills is their DL. That can cause the Jets less then dominant OL some problems. Though overall, Shonn Greene and the Jets have been able to effectively run the ball on the Bills in the past. And I still think they will be effective enough to allow Sanchez to use his play action magic, to connect vertically down the field. Especially if Keller is healthy and playing.

The Bills won't be running very effectively against this Jets D.

Jets DL and blitz sub packages will cause Fitz some really big problems. I see Jets winning the turnover battle. He's going to get picked off by Jets secondary once or twice for sure.

Landry and Bell should be able to do a good job policing the middle of the field.

IMO, Jets can score 23-24 points and win this game.
    But hey ... We have Austin Howard now !!!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    early games usually come down to special teams and strange plays. this game could go either way although fitz returned to form after he got resigned and even before that the bills offense wasn't very good. they upgraded their defense with mario but even that may not be enough to make them really good. they'll probably start out strong and falter from midseason out.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I really need to see this team score a TD before I can assume they are going to score 20+ points.

Lets not forget we have been a terrible first quarter and first half offense the past couple of years. Hopefully Sparano changes things.

The Johnson/Revis thing was completely overblown. Revis played off almost the entire game. That was the game plan. We had nobody else on that third of the field. I am not worried about Stevie Johnson. What I am worried about is the middle of the field and TEs v. our LBs and safeties. I worry about Jackson coming out of the backfield. We did a good job containing him last year. I also worry about Wilson in the slot. That is where teams are going to hurt us.

It will be interesting to see how/if their quick short passing attack matches up against our pass rush. Will it neutralize it, or will we disrupt the timing?

Jets 17 Bills 13
    Last edited by DDNYjets; 08-28-2012 at 07:16 AM.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    13-16 points may win this game for the Jets. The defense is going to wreck Fitz and the Bills offense.

CAN'T WAIT!!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is actually one of the best opportunities for a true ground orientated game plan.

1. We will still be getting holmes and kerley up to game speed Ė unfortunate but true. If you look at holmes drop sun night, it was all about timingÖthat will improve.

2. We donít want to be throwing a ton with buffalos pass rush and improved secondary.

3. We do want to be running vs their Dline and especially LBs

4. While there is talent on the bills dline, it isnít deep. Temps look to be mid 70s which isnít that hot for an opener, but still, the first game teams usually arenít up to full stamina in the 4th quarter, so all the more reason we should be wearing them down all game.

5. We do usually match up well with the bills offense and frankly Fitzpatrick doesnít scare me at all. We should have a huge advantage vs. their young and rebuilt lineÖ.I think we should be able to easily generate pressure rushing 4-5 guys and playing coverage against their smaller WRs and especially vs spiller.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I honestly think all this crying about not scoring a TD is horse $hit. Ive seen jets teams with undefeated preseasons play like dog $hit during the season. With that being said......

Mark looked pretty good with some protection. I can see this offense score 20-24 pts, our D will manhandle fitzpatrick, and Landry will be enforcer we needed at safety.

That's money in the bank!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not the least bit concerned about Ryan Fitzpatrick. He's decent against terrible defenses and terrible against decent defenses.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ryan Fitzpatrick has completed just 21-of-43 passes (48.8 percent) for 208 yards (4.8 YPA), one touchdown, and no interceptions through three preseason games.

He's also taken six sacks, although five came in the opener against the Redskins. Fitzpatrick was much better in preseason last year, only to start hot and fade as the real games progressed. NFL Net's Mike Lombardi has suggested defenses have caught onto the Bills' offensive scheme, realizing they can't throw vertically and struggle to hold protection for long stretches. Fitzpatrick's arm-strength limitations mean the former probably isn't going to change.

Yet everyone is killing the Jets. Especially here. No way we beat this team, They have Mario, and Fitzy is a much better QB than Sanchez.

Maybin will be captain, and I'm willing to bet he has a better game than old Mario, because we will scheme to take him out of the game. Remember we've had no game planning. I'd like to go 1 back and put Smith as an extra tackle/Jumbo TE most of the game. Might as well throw in a prediction that the terminator gets terminated, and we may, or may not bring in another Hback to fill his spot.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    17 points probably wins this game for the Jets. Just don't turn it over.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am a tad worried that the Bills spread offense will put our older slower linebackers in quite a few unfavorable matches. I still like us over all, but this will definitely have to be an area for the defense to try and scheme against.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Coples is a hungry dog, and he's gonna feast on Fitzpatrick all day.

Dinner time for Coples. My body is ready.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am a tad worried that the Bills spread offense will put our older slower linebackers in quite a few unfavorable matches. I still like us over all, but this will definitely have to be an area for the defense to try and scheme against.
    Rex-Pettine-Dunbar have some schemes planned when opponents go to the spread offense. Like the 46 defense. Forcing offenses to go mano-a-mano with the front 7 D. While the secondary takes on receivers in a variety of man-zone coverages.

With a DL that can pressure 24/7 with some 7 players. And big strong hitting safeties like Landry and Bell(who will substitute for the slow LBs)...these battles should be fun to watch.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Fans need to make some freaking noise. Jets were 6-2 last yr at home, they need to be 7-1 or 8-0 this yr.