Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Let me get this straight

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    As CMart had pointed out one day, when the Jets decided to keep Hunter back in February it made his contract guaranteed at that point. You can argue whether they should have kept him, or why a stipulation like that was in the contract at all, but the Jets DID NOT have Hunter on the roster with NO guaranteed money and decided to make it guaranteed for the heck of it.
    they guaranteed his contract b/c tanny likes to solidify as many starting positions as possible before the draft so he doesn't have pressure to use high draft picks to fill unresolved spots. that's the only reason in my opinion they kept hunter around. of course, they also assumed/hoped that hunter would improve and the opposite happened. but having the o-line intact and getting landry allowed tanny to justify bap, which meant taking coples, and we're all enjoying that pick.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    they guaranteed his contract b/c tanny likes to solidify as many starting positions as possible before the draft so he doesn't have pressure to use high draft picks to fill unresolved spots. that's the only reason in my opinion they kept hunter around. of course, they also assumed/hoped that hunter would improve and the opposite happened. but having the o-line intact and getting landry allowed tanny to justify bap, which meant taking coples, and we're all enjoying that pick.
    Exactly. My whole criticism of the Hunter deal was because I had thought that Hunter was already on the roster with no guaranteed money and the Jets offered to guarantee it for suspect reasons. I can see why the Jets did what they did based on what was going on at the time.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am very happy with the way Howard played against Carolina. Winston is indeed overrated.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    If I remember correctly, it was already in his contract from the previous year that if he was on the roster on a certain date his annual salary became guaranteed. It wasnít Tanny reaching out an opening up the deal and guaranteeing it. A backup Tackle at 2.5 mil is about right for someone who could potentially start if needed (which is how he was viewed at the time). Thereís also a difference between investing in the short term vs long term as Winstonís contract is 22 mil over 4 yearsónothing insane, but itís clear that RT is a position that the FO has labeled as value (low $), much like Safety (only 1 year deals to Bell/Landry). We canít spend big money on every position. Every team has holes, itís just how well they can be covered.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hollywoodjet View Post
    Step 3 & 7is bull crap when you don't count Eric winston's 8.5 million signing Bonus..

Even though he 's a good starter...
    Did the Chiefs extend Winston and give him a new signing bonus?

I don't think so, unless I missed something. (Which is entirely possible, I haven't followed this situation closely.)

If not, the Texans are on the hook for the signing bonus. It hits the salary cap of the team that cuts the player, not the team that signs the player.

Did KC really give him an $8.5 million bonus?
    Last edited by Bob Crable; 08-28-2012 at 11:28 AM.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is an example of how hamstrung Tanny was at the RT position. I'm assuming the Jets had a belief Ducasse would be the Jets RT in 2012 considering how high he was picked. That did not happen, no one was available prior to his signing date so they were screwed but he did try and trade during the offseason but it didn't materialize. The rest is history...

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Crable View Post
    Did the Chiefs extend Winston and give him a new signing bonus?

I don't think so, unless I missed something. (Which is entirely possible, I haven't followed this situation closely.)

If not, the Texans are on the hook for the signing bonus. It hits the salary cap of the team that cuts the player, not the team that signs the player.

Did KC really give him an $8.5 million bonus?
    http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/kansas-ci.../eric-winston/

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by thegoldengod View Post
    If I remember correctly, it was already in his contract from the previous year that if he was on the roster on a certain date his annual salary became guaranteed. It wasnít Tanny reaching out an opening up the deal and guaranteeing it. A backup Tackle at 2.5 mil is about right for someone who could potentially start if needed (which is how he was viewed at the time). Thereís also a difference between investing in the short term vs long term as Winstonís contract is 22 mil over 4 yearsónothing insane, but itís clear that RT is a position that the FO has labeled as value (low $), much like Safety (only 1 year deals to Bell/Landry). We canít spend big money on every position. Every team has holes, itís just how well they can be covered.
    This is accurate.

The Jets had to either cut Hunter by March 1st (i believe that was the date), or his contract became guaranteed at that point. It wasn't like Tanny went out of his way to give Hunter a new $2.5 million deal.

In any case, this is not a disasterous, franchise-crippling move by any stretch of the imagination.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    They had no one to play RT and really had little choice but to sign him. No one knew what they would find available when he was signed.

Was it preferable? No, but its what you have to do sometimes.

Whats the point, they're paying 1.4 or so mil extra to have Winston on the roster over Hunter. No one would whine if Winston was signed for 4 mil in the offseason and Hunter cut.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    They had no one to play RT and really had little choice but to sign him. No one knew what they would find available when he was signed.

Was it preferable? No, but its what you have to do sometimes.

Whats the point, they're paying 1.4 or so mil extra to have Winston on the roster over Hunter. No one would whine if Winston was signed for 4 mil in the offseason and Hunter cut.
    Did you mean Smith?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by thegoldengod View Post
    Thanks for that info.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Did you mean Smith?
    Yeah, sorry, Smith, brain dead lately

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    if the Jets had done the Hunter-for-Smith trade earlier in the summer, everyone would be hailing it as a massive coup by Tanny.

if the Hunter-for-Smith trade had been suggested the day after the Giants game, everyone would've supported the idea but they would've wondered why the Rams would even consider such a despicable offer.

now, because Austin Howard held his own in a preseason game, everyone is killing Tanny for a "panic move" that has us paying $4 million for a backup.

Jets fans -- can't live with 'em, can't live with 'em.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by positive View Post
    I just can't figure out why they ever guaranteed his contract to begin with. They could have kept him for the league minimum or a bit more based on his atrocious play. Made no sense to me at the time and makes no sense now.

BTW Hunter has actually played worse this pre season than he did last year.
    If he wasn't cut by February his contract became guaranteed. They didn't "decide to guarantee" his deal - they decided not to cut him and seek a replacement on the market

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetSouth View Post
    #1. 2/9/12 Jets guarantee Wayne Hunter's 2012 contract. So basically we panic or are stupid enough to guarantee Hunter's contract for more than he is worth. A prudent team would have made it a point to address this spot in the draft.

#2. 3/12/12 Texans cut Eric Winston

#3. 3/17/12 Chiefs sign Eric Winston. 2012 cap hit=three million dollars.

#4. 4/26/12-4/28/12 Ignore offensive line in draft

#5. 8/18/12 Hunter becomes whipping boy, again.

#6. 8/27/12 Jets compound their mistake by shipping Hunter to the Rams for an awful tackle with concussion history. Pay an extra 1.55 million.

#7. 8/28/12 Realize that our new backup tackle makes $451,000 less than Ferguson this year. Realize that Smith+Tebow's cap hits equal 6,572,500 which is 3,572,500 more than Winston would make this year and just shy of the 7 million he's due next year. Realize that the difference between Hunter and Smith's contracts would have paid for Austin Howard's 1.3 million tender for next year.

#8. 8/29/12 Pray that Austin Howard can handle the pressures and situations of a real game.
    Just sayin....! We did draft an OLman in this past draft! You faile dto mention that. And for what its worth, ya' think that possibly Rex, T and Sparano had confidence in Howard all along and might have had a bit more information then you into the matter? I see you could not resist dragging Tebow into this lame discussion. He does not play the OL but could serve at TE if asked. Enough with baseless attacks on players and the FO until you get your facts staraight! Ya think that maybe they were counting of Landolt to stay healthy? They liked him at OT too you are aware? He got hurt and is out. Ya think that maybe they tried to address the situation by trading for OTAH? Its so easy to call out the FO but facts are facts! They tried to get a RT. Is the season here? I think they will still try to get another RT. However I hope that Howard is the real deal and solves the problem. He is off to a good start which you failed to mention! Just sayin.....

Hindsight is always 20/20.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    I am very happy with the way Howard played against Carolina. Winston is indeed overrated.
    I respect your opinion. Howard moved very athletically for such a big man. That is something to build upon. Hunter can not do what Howard did re being able to move so athletically.

Smith just be an excellent blocking TE for us. The guy is a mauler in the run game and can move very well for a man his size.

Some guys just need to have a negative opinion of anything JETS! I like the move plus I read that HUNTER had to be restrained from going after a few fans in the stands the other night. If that is true he had to be traded asap! Tanny did the right thing!

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    I like the move plus I read that HUNTER had to be restrained from going after a few fans in the stands the other night.
    Why would Hunter have to be restrained?

The fans would have easily got around Hunter for the exit.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    Why would Hunter have to be restrained?

The fans would have easily got around Hunter for the exit.
    lol, there was a funny tweet on that last night.

something like, "Hunter was restrained by Ducasse -- and when the Jets saw that Hunter was even losing matchups to Vlad, it was time to let him go"

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    OP clearly isnt a master of this game like the Jets front office is-

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post
    lol, there was a funny tweet on that last night.

something like, "Hunter was restrained by Ducasse -- and when the Jets saw that Hunter was even losing matchups to Vlad, it was time to let him go"
    That would be the first person Vlad has restrained since we drafted him.