Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jason Smith...The New Maybin

Jason Smith...The New Maybin

Dream big.

All Pro
    All we have to do is keep his head protected. That is a little worrisome because Olineman shouldn't get hit in the head that hard on a regular basis. Why he gets these concussions is alarming. Besides that he has been an average Tackle which is a huge upgrade over Hunter since he lost his mojo.

Just saying, Maybin was thought of as a huge bust. He got a change of scenery and what did he have, 6 sacks last year?

Plus, due to all the bad press hunter was getting, there was no way the team could send him back out to the huddle. His presence alone would affect everyone's play.

Santonio is probably happy too.

Quote Originally Posted by JFB View Post
    Just saying, Maybin was thought of as a huge bust. He got a change of scenery and what did he have, 6 sacks last year?

Plus, due to all the bad press hunter was getting, there was no way the team could send him back out to the huddle. His presence alone would affect everyone's play.

Maybe Smith will only give up 6 sacks and we call that one a wash.

Dream big.
    Somewhere in STL there is a thread.... Wayne Hunter, the NEW Conrad Dobler. Dream big.

Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    Somewhere in STL there is a thread.... Wayne Hunter, the NEW Conrad Dobler. Dream big.
    I'm not entirely convinced about the trade either - meaning I don't know if Smith is actually going to help the team. What it does do is place Howard in as the starter without any talk of Hunter coming back. Ever. If Smith can help us, great. If not - it won't be any worse.

Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    I'm not entirely convinced about the trade either - meaning I don't know if Smith is actually going to help the team. What it does do is place Howard in as the starter without any talk of Hunter coming back. Ever. If Smith can help us, great. If not - it won't be any worse.
    I don't think anyone is convinced that the trade is going to change the Jets this year. But getting rid of guy with such a negative aura is a definite plus.

Skill-wise, there is probably not that much difference.

I am fine with it. SMITH however lost his job in STL so we are trading one eyed jacks here. WORST case, the team now sees that management WILL ship you off.

He cannot be possibly worse than hunter, plus it is addition by subtraction. Hunter was mentally affected and needed a fresh start. The negative for me is the extra 1.6mill we are paying smith, that would have been helpful to sign a WR or TE to shore up those areas.

All League
    really can't be worse

Practice Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by barkus View Post
    The negative for me is the extra 1.6mill we are paying smith
    Want a negative? His cap hit is $12mil next season if he doesn't play at least 31% of the snaps to void the contract....

He cannot be possibly worse than hunter, plus it is addition by subtraction. Hunter was mentally affected and needed a fresh start. The negative for me is the extra 1.6mill we are paying smith, that would have been helpful to sign a WR or TE to shore up those areas.
    Jets roster moves aren't done yet...

Don't think Smith is anything more than a back-up but Hunter had to go. His confidence was shot and you can't get "into it" with the fans.

Well... we can dream... I was one of those guys who had to eat crow about Maybin. Thought he was a total bust... hopefully Smith can wake up from his concussion problems with our team.

Speaking of that... look at this video of Smith. Look how late he is moving on the snap... its almost as though he is in some post-concussive fog. Hope that was an isolated incident because as bad as Wayne has been, I have never seen him THIS bad.
    http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-videos...sack-8-yd-loss

Quote Originally Posted by Goodfellaz View Post
    Want a negative? His cap hit is $12mil next season if he doesn't play at least 31% of the snaps to void the contract....
    Jets likely will have Jason Smith for one year only

How disappointed were the Jets in right tackle Wayne Hunter? Sufficiently disappointed to send him to St. Louis for an equally disappointing second overall pick in the draft, who also plays tackle.

By swapping Hunter for Jason Smith, the Jets actually will shell out more money. Smith reworked his rookie deal earlier this year to reduce his salary to $4 million, fully guaranteed. Hunter, on the other hand, is due to make only $2.45 million, also fully guaranteed.

But while the Rams can keep Hunter around for 2013 (and 2015) if he overachieves in his new surroundings, the Jets have Smith for only one season, barring an extension.

Smith is due to receive a roster bonus of $11.25 million on the first day of the league year. The entire 2013 year voids if he participates in 31 percent of the snaps. As a source with knowledge of the contract explained the deal to PFT, the 2013 year will be gone one way or another, and the franchise tag can’t be used on Smith next season.

So if he plays well, he’ll hit the open market. If he doesn’t, the Jets won’t want to keep him around.

They definitely didn’t want to keep Hunter around. The fact that they finally moved him now underscores their failure to have a better plan at the right tackle position in the offseason.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...one-year-only/

why? it's not your money. Jets aren't probably going to do anything else with it anyway.

All Pro
    Austin Howard won the starting job at RT, Wayne Hunter was shipped over to the jumbo TE role which now, belongs to Jason Smith-he was NOT brought in to immediately compete with Howard-Wayne Hunter getting traded is a Jets' fan prayer answered.

Now for me personally I have always wanted Jabar Gaffney in green and white like his father-we are extremely thin at the pass catching positions and Gaffney has great hands

Getting Smith was better than getting a bag of peanuts, which is what the Jets would have gotten from any other team.
    Shoddy knows Waynes history. Hunter is a MENTAL CASE, whose confidence was at suicide level playing under the pressures of NY.
    Dude saw a shrink last year over this. NY is a pressure cooker, & here was this nobody RT being the number 1 tweeted figure in sports! Are u kidding me!

Add in the almost unfathomable amount of negative press related to the NY Jets this preseason & wham, u got a got going full metal jacket.

ST. Louis has ZERO pressure compared to NY, Hunter will go back to being just another Olineman on a crappy Oline letting Bradford be killed.

I wish him luck & hope he can get his career back on track.
    Hopefully a change of scenery on some success can turn Smith around here?
    Maybe Smith NEEDS a little NY encouragement!

Maybe Smith will only give up 6 sacks and we call that one a wash.

6 sacks is much better then the 11 given up by Hunter last year.

In fact...if Smith...or Howard, as a starter...combine for only half the negative plays that Wayne recorded(sacks, hurries, and penalties) then Sanchez should be able to operate this offense way more efficiently then he did last year.

And of course the same goes for Brick...he should be able to halve his negative numbers too.

If this can be accomplished with this OL group...then this year, Jets have a legit opportunity to increase their win total to 10.

Not an unreasonable figure...when you also factor in...that the defense looks to be real sick this year.

Watching Hunter out there as the 6th lineman or TE, he still sucked. He was off balance. lowering his head, like he was ducking under and closing his eye. This is fantastic news that he's gone.