Thread: Why Was Jason Smith A Bust?

All League

Why Was Jason Smith A Bust?

Has anyone found on the web the "technical" breakdown on why Smith
    has failed so far? As usual with the media all I've found is "he's a bust"
    but no one has broken down his flaws. Is it no talent, bad technique,
    bad attitude, poor worker? Any links would be appreciated

Veteran
    Talking with a buddy who is a Rams fan, which is far from technical, who said Jason Smith was considered a bust for a few reasons.
    First, he was drafted #2 overall as a LT so the expectations were that he would lockdown the line for a decade and was immediately moved to RT.
    Second, he said the Smith dealt with some concussion issues that a lot of fan wanted him to play through, but since he didn’t, they felt he lacked heart.
    Third, he was beat out by someone who was a late round pick with no real expectations. This was especially hard on the fans because of the money the guy is paid since the contract was before the rookie wage scale.
    Lastly, he said that smith paved the way for Steven Jackson, but he felt a lot of the rushing yards were because of the RB and not the line. When it came to pass protection, their entire line was terrible. He said Bradford have probably lost two years off of his career because of the beating he has taken the past few years.
    Like I said, far from technical, but it sounds like the guy just lack the “bowling ball with butcher knives” attitude that people want from their linemen.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by rhyan66 View Post
    Talking with a buddy who is a Rams fan, which is far from technical, who said Jason Smith was considered a bust for a few reasons.
    First, he was drafted #2 overall as a LT so the expectations were that he would lockdown the line for a decade and was immediately moved to RT.
    Second, he said the Smith dealt with some concussion issues that a lot of fan wanted him to play through, but since he didn’t, they felt he lacked heart.
    Third, he was beat out by someone who was a late round pick with no real expectations. This was especially hard on the fans because of the money the guy is paid since the contract was before the rookie wage scale.
    Lastly, he said that smith paved the way for Steven Jackson, but he felt a lot of the rushing yards were because of the RB and not the line. When it came to pass protection, their entire line was terrible. He said Bradford have probably lost two years off of his career because of the beating he has taken the past few years.
    Like I said, far from technical, but it sounds like the guy just lack the “bowling ball with butcher knives” attitude that people want from their linemen.
    Did he ever play LT in any games? Or did they move him in camp of his rookie year?

On Jason's cap site he discussed that Smith hasnt been a bad pass blocker, just not good against the run, which isnt a good fit at RT. More importantly he mentioned that for all his physical skills, smith didnt seem interested in improving himself as a player.

As far as the pass rush thing, I believe smith came from a version of the spread where he was probably not asked to do much "mauling" in the run game.

Truthfully I think there is one additional way to look at this deal (and IN NO WAY am i saying we would be GOOD with smith at LT)....but in the event of an emergency, if we lost Dbrick or Howard, smith is a better alternative then Hunter is. You could even say that if he is an ok pass blocker and poor run blocker, and Dbrick went down, he could play LT (similar skill set) and keep Howard at RT....a much better option then Hunter playing either spot.

All League
    Smith looks like he may be a very good pulling guard. I wouldn't mind a 2013 OL that has Ducasse at LG and Jason Smith at RG.

Quote Originally Posted by JamaicanJetFan View Post
    Smith looks like he may be a very good pulling guard. I wouldn't mind a 2013 OL that has Ducasse at LG and Jason Smith at RG.
    He is pretty slim for a Guard at 6'5 308....I think that is why he struggles as a run blocker and that is at tackle.

Quote Originally Posted by KRL View Post
    he had problems in the 3-point stance...had a really good combine so he shot up...he's become a better run blocker than pass protector...drops his hands too quickly...had concussion issues...

He has concussion issues.

Hall Of Fame
    ...if i may, your question should be : " Why is Jason Smith A Bust? " .

cheers ~ ~

Quote Originally Posted by rhyan66 View Post

I remember that draft well and he wasn't even the top rated OL coming out of the season. He was a late riser over Andre Smith, Eugene Monroe, and Oher. He is strong as heck but was coming out of Baylor with injuries and was had floated in college. It was just a bad pick really. They passed on Andre saying he couldn't play LT in the NFL ironically. Sanchez, Curry, and BJ Raji where all passed on as well. His bigger issues have been with health. Multiple concussions and knee injuries have made his career shaky. He was beat out by Barry Richardson. When he does play however he doesn't look Wayne Hunter bad.

All League
    Not sure if this was already posted:

Sept 26, 2011

Rams Bench Right Tackle Jason Smith

Committing two personal foul penalties and allowing a sack led to the St. Louis Rams parking starting right tackle Jason Smith on the bench in the fourth quarter of Sunday's 37-7 loss to the Baltimore Ravens.

"It wasn't my best game," said Smith. "And the coaches pulled me out. I had some penalties in crucial situations...And I need to play better so I can help the team."

The No. 2 overall pick of the 2009 NFL Draft, Smith was replaced by journeyman Adam Goldberg. With Smith earning $8.5 million in base salary this season, the move is no doubt a temporary one. The former Baylor standout can be expected to be back at right tackle next week against Brian Orakpo and the Washington Redskins.

St. Louis Rams trade OT Jason Smith to the New York Jets for OT Wayne Hunter

Aug 27 2012

The Jets and Rams are essentially swapping terrible right tackles in this deal. Smith is the better of the two, but the former 2nd overall pick has only played in 28 games in 3 seasons and only played in more than 7 games once, starting 15 games in 2010. In 2010, he was awful, grading out as below average as a run blocker and pass protector, allowing 5 sacks, 6 quarterback hits, and 32 quarterback pressures, while committing 9 penalties. Out of 76 offensive tackles, Smith graded out as ProFootballFocus’ 56th ranked offensive tackle that season.

He wasn’t much better in limited action in 2009 or 2011. After missing 10 games with concussions last season, Smith did not impress this offseason, evidently, and was benched for Barry Richardson, who was horrific in his own right last season as the starting right tackle for the cross state Chiefs as Richardson was ProFootballFocus’ 2nd worst rated offensive tackle. It’s pretty pathetic that Smith couldn’t even beat him out.

Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    On Jason's cap site he discussed that Smith hasnt been a bad pass blocker, just not good against the run, which isnt a good fit at RT. More importantly he mentioned that for all his physical skills, smith didnt seem interested in improving himself as a player.

As far as the pass rush thing, I believe smith came from a version of the spread where he was probably not asked to do much "mauling" in the run game.

Truthfully I think there is one additional way to look at this deal (and IN NO WAY am i saying we would be GOOD with smith at LT)....but in the event of an emergency, if we lost Dbrick or Howard, smith is a better alternative then Hunter is. You could even say that if he is an ok pass blocker and poor run blocker, and Dbrick went down, he could play LT (similar skill set) and keep Howard at RT....a much better option then Hunter playing either spot.
    I heard it exactly the opposite of what you just said.

He sucks in pass pro but he's a mauler in the run game.

Here's one of the many quotes I've read, this from a Rams site

http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2012/8/...is-rams-roster
    The best option may just be putting Jason Smith at RG. Smith struggles in pass protection, but he can run block effectively. Moving him inside would let him play to his strength of run blocking and help mask his issues in pass protection.
    Last edited by southside; 08-28-2012 at 01:30 PM.

I'm sorry I can't really answer your original question but just something to throw out there:

Why do so many Jets fans consider D'Brick to be a bust?

he's a bust relative to draft position/expectations.

if you go by measurables, he's an average RT. better than average run-blocking, below average pass-blocking.

an average RT >>>>>>>>>> Wayne Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post

if you go by measurables, he's an average RT. better than average run-blocking, below average pass-blocking.

that's really it. the jets didn't need the best RT but you can't have the worst. look what happened last year when the jets had the worst safeties.

All Pro

On target. Smith should have been a 3rd Round pick. He wasn't. Still a lot better overall than Wayne Hunter. Hope the concussion issues are under control, however.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    He is pretty slim for a Guard at 6'5 308....I think that is why he struggles as a run blocker and that is at tackle.
    Word on the street {per local article}is actually that his struggles are in pass-protection, because he plays 'too aggressively' {per his coaches}.

He wasn't very good to begin with.

I had knock down drag outs in the old draft forum with the rankings that year. I had Oher at #1 and took alot of flack for that.

my big critique with Smith is he never played in a 3 point stance at Baylor. He was a system guy for a team that wasn't even good (i think they won maybe 2 games that year). the whole thing was combine and hype related. If someone says they have film of Smith dominating at Baylor, they are fibbing.

Jets Insider VIP

Problem is, Jason Smith isn't average.

He's just as terrible as Hunter, except now we're paying our terrible backup RT an additional $1.5 million in salary.

We better hope that Howard can maintain his level of play that he showed sunday night, because we shouldn't be relying on Smith in any sort of starting capacity.

Apparently, in 2010 when he started 15 games for the Rams he gave up 4 sacks and had 8 penalties. Most false starts.

A rams fan told me that he was a good run blocker but struggled in pass protection at times. He also said that Smith had a bad injury since the 2010 season and hasn't had the same nasty play that he had in 2010.