Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BILLS VS JETS; Perception VS Reality

Angry BILLS VS JETS; Perception VS Reality

The media has spent the summer ripping the Jets' chances of winning in 2012. At the same time many have fawned over the Bills as a team to watch. With the teams playing each other week one lets look at the perception verses the reality.

The media loves Buffalo to compete for a playoff spot and especially to overtake the Jets. One of the main reasons stems from what they have done with their defense in the offseason. There is no doubt that they have improved, but they are not better then the Jets in this area. The Jets have the superior secondary and linebackers. The lines are close to even.

On offense they are better then the Jets at the RB and WR positions. But if the Jets can get decent production from their RT they will have the better OL. The Bills simply do not have anyone that matches the talents of a Mangold or Ferguson. And that brings us to the QBs;

The media has no problem listing the faults of Mark Sanchez. Some of the criticism is justified based on his play at the end of last season. But answer me this; who the hell is Ryan Fitzpatrick? More to the point; what the hell has he done in his career to get a pass from the media? Did the FCC ban people from using the word 'journeyman' on air. Wake me up when Fitzpatrick leads his team to the playoffs. Then I will pay attention and see if he actually wins a playoff game.......let alone four-on the road.

I am not bullish on the Jets this season for the way they constructed their offense. But the media bias against all things Jets/Rex Ryan (which is part of the inflate then deflate narrative that they love to create because it sells) is getting out of hand. No where is that more evident then the contrast drawn by supposed experts between the Jets prospects and the Bills for 2012.

it seems like the last 3-4 years the Jets have played the Bills when the world has been down on the Jets and everyone is hyping up the Bills. Every single time we have completely dominated them.

Quote Originally Posted by Chupa View Post
    it seems like the last 3-4 years the Jets have played the Bills when the world has been down on the Jets and everyone is hyping up the Bills. Every single time we have completely dominated them.
    Good post, I agree but I don't think the Jets will be able to dominate them this season. They are close in talent which is the point of this thread. By the way, one of the main reasons why the Jets have owned them in the past is because Rex Ryan defenses have little problem defending QBs that cant stretch his defense deep.

Rex Ryan vs Chan Gailey

I LUV our chances!

NY Jets & their fans will be PUMPED for this game.

Quote Originally Posted by intelligentjetsfan View Post
    Good post, I agree but I don't think the Jets will be able to dominate them this season. They are close in talent which is the point of this thread. By the way, one of the main reasons why the Jets have owned them in the past is because Rex Ryan defenses have little problem defending QBs that cant stretch his defense deep.
    BINGO!
    Sit on routes

Landry will get a pick in this game. Dude has a nose for the ball.

Veteran
    The media/experts have always forecasted based on previous season's results with very few exceptions to a fault. Even some of the better media outlets have fallen into the same trap as following the leader. Why do you think 8 out of 10 publications look the same when predicting a teams record? I stopped reading a long time ago..

All Pro
    Every year the Bills get credit for having improved over the previous season. Analysts talk about how they're "moving in the right direction" while everyone dumps on the Jets.

Even last year when Buffalo got off to a fast start, people were talking about how much better they were. But these people don't actually watch the games. And they certainly don't understand matchups.

Until Buffalo gets a real QB, they will struggle to beat good teams. Until Buffalo proves they can consistently stop the run, they will struggle to beat good teams.

As of now, they still have Ryan Fitzpatrick at QB and I have yet to see them stop the run.

They are the definition of slightly below average. They play a pretty weak schedule this year but I still only see 7 wins at most.

Remember how hyped they were last year? Remember how that turned out? Yea, I look forward to sweeping Buffalol again.

This is my point exactly. I'm sorry I have heard it a few times over the years. This is not the year the Bills pull over the hump. They just aren't a good team as is. Anyone saying the Bills will have 8-10 wins and the JETS 4-7 really aren't looking at the talents at all. Their D is just no where near what we are and their O is nothing great. People looking at that D and saying a bunch of rookies and 2nd year players are going to improve them greatly are just guessing. Why can't they say the same about us and and our O? Rookie CB rarely look good and rookie WRs always seem to put up good #s. I will say the same thing this year I said last year. If the JETS can't blow out the Bills they aren't blowing anyone out. That D is just going to struggle early on. 1st year back on a 4-3, Half the starters are 1st and 2nd year, and they still have no OLBs.

Schluberator & Gadfly
    Looking at the big picture....................

Dumping on the Jets creates excitement for the Jets lovers and haters and sells papers and air time. Dumping on the Jills creates ABSOLUTELY nothing.

The media is in the business to make money, and what better way to do that? Dump on a team from a huge media market.

Be calm my green brothers.

Oh, and in case anyone hadn't noticed, our boyz play better when they're getting disrespected and dumped on.

CAN'T WAIT!

Quote Originally Posted by jetster View Post
    BINGO!
    Sit on routes

Landry will get a pick in this game. Dude has a nose for the ball.
    They will attack the only glaring hole we have on defense ....

The black hole known as Kyle Wilson over the middle.Over and Over and Over again.

Hopefully we see a couple Landry hits .. ala cruz.

Do I think the Bills are better than us? No probably not, but I think there's a very real chance they get us in week 1. Last time we played them, that game was a nailbiter and we were pretty fortunate that Johnson dropped what should have been the game-winning TD reception. I think their D-line is going to present problems for our o-line. And I think with Jackson back, they can do enough on offense even though I expect our D to play well. Toss-up game for me, unlike years past, I don't think we have an edge on the Bills anymore.

Jets Insider VIP
    doesn't anyone remember the 2nd buffalo game last year when stevie johnson lit it up, even against revis?? he continually beat revis that game. had it not been for his dropped TD pass in the 4th, buffalo wins that game.

Quote Originally Posted by Dunnie View Post
    They will attack the only glaring hole we have on defense ....

The black hole known as Kyle Wilson over the middle.Over and Over and Over again.

Hopefully we see a couple Landry hits .. ala cruz.
    Those crossing routes across the face of the defense take a lot of time, those are the routes that we always see Wilson chasing from behind.
    3 things NEED to happen on those drag routes:
    1- Corner peels off his man & takes him out in a head on collision.
    2- Maybin face plants Fitzy for holding the ball too long.
    3- Landry does what he did to Cruz, breaks on the ball & hammers him.
    Last edited by jetster; 08-28-2012 at 01:59 PM.

All League
    Every summer the Bills are supposed to be a surprise success in the AFC. Are they better than us week one? Yeah probably. Down the stretch of the season? Who knows.

All League
    Those crossing routes across the face of the defense take a lot of time, those are the routes that we always see Wilson chasing from behind.
    3 things NEED to happen on those drag routes:
    1- Corner peels off his man & takes him out in a head on collision.
    2- Maybin face plants Fitzy for holding the ball two long.
    3- Landry does what he did to Cruz, breaks on the ball & hammers him.
    Good points.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by chesapeakejet View Post
    Looking at the big picture....................

Dumping on the Jets creates excitement for the Jets lovers and haters and sells papers and air time. Dumping on the Jills creates ABSOLUTELY nothing.

The media is in the business to make money, and what better way to do that? Dump on a team from a huge media market.

Be calm my green brothers.

Oh, and in case anyone hadn't noticed, our boyz play better when they're getting disrespected and dumped on.

CAN'T WAIT!

the zombie is correct. only way to sell papers in Buff is too fap over the Jills...

Quote Originally Posted by SlickBri481 View Post
    Do I think the Bills are better than us? No probably not, but I think there's a very real chance they get us in week 1. Last time we played them, that game was a nailbiter and we were pretty fortunate that Johnson dropped what should have been the game-winning TD reception. I think their D-line is going to present problems for our o-line. And I think with Jackson back, they can do enough on offense even though I expect our D to play well. Toss-up game for me, unlike years past, I don't think we have an edge on the Bills anymore.
    2nd half will tell all in this game.
    I think Jets 8 deep Dline, keeps up the heat THROUGHOUT while Bills D line sucks wind chasing Tebow on QB keeper sweeps in the 4th quarter.
    Always a lot easier stopping 3rd & shorts when your peppy, but once that adrenalin stops flowing a guy like Tebow can nail the door shut if he keeps converting short yardage.
    Bold Jetster prediction: Tebow runs a fake handoff to the right, sprints to left with Oline making it look like a planned left sweep, everyone stops, Hill wide open TOUCHDOWN!

Quote Originally Posted by cjsaus View Post
    doesn't anyone remember the 2nd buffalo game last year when stevie johnson lit it up, even against revis?? he continually beat revis that game. had it not been for his dropped TD pass in the 4th, buffalo wins that game.
    I remember, you remember, but most importantly Rex, Pettine, & REVIS remember!
    Jets got NO PRESSURE in that game in the 2nd half, they were out of gas & got lucky & eked out a win.
    When have you EVER seen a Jet team with this much depth in the Dline?
    Bills have NO DEPTH on their Dline, they might be better than last year but you better have depth in an opener!
    Guys aren't used to going 4 quarters yet, that's why openers are so strange & weird things happen.
    If we can CONVERT 3rd downs & make that Bills Dline play a lot of snaps we will break them in the 2nd half.
    If that happens no one will be complaining about Shonn Greene or Tebow cause the Bills are gonna see a lot of em.
    We need to break that teams will! 1st the Dline, then the secondary that gets tired of tackling Greene & Tebow.
    Last edited by jetster; 08-28-2012 at 02:00 PM.

I remember, you remember, but most importantly Rex, Pettine, & REVIS remember!
    Jets got NO PRESSURE in that game in the 2nd half, they were out of gas & got lucky & eked out a win.
    When have you EVER seen a Jet team with this much depth in the Dline?
    Bills have NO DEPTH on their Dline, they might be better than last year but you better have depth in an opener!
    Guys aren't used to going 4 quarters yet, that's why openers are so strange & weird things happen.
    If we can CONVERT 3rd downs & make that Bills Dline play a lot of snaps we will break them in the 2nd half.
    If that happens no one will be complaining about Shonn Greene or Tebow cause the Bills are gonna see a lot of em.
    We need to break that teams will! 1st the Dline, then the secondary that gets tired of tackling Greene & Tebow.
    Disclaimer:
    I don't want it to seem that I'm a HUGE Tebow fan because I'm not.
    He's not a QB, but, he will be useful in short yardage & such, goal line & burying bad run defenses or TIRED defenses.
    Last year the dude took EVERY SNAP so it became really easy to defend & Tebow also got tired & winded from the shear exhaustion from it, think about all the running that guy did & then had to go back in the huddle.

He'll be fresh as a daisy with the way Sparano plans to use him, especially in the 4th quarter when defenses are sucking wind.
    I think it's actually gonna be kind of exciting. Sure, some teams will just outscore us I'm sure, but I envision a lot of defenses, hands on hips in the 2nd half of games with Tebow converting another 3rd & short, pumping his fists running off, & encouraging Mark to bring it home.

Call me a dreamer, I don't care. I put more faith in what guys like Parcells & Polian say anyway.