Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Rex tipping hand on final 53? Schillens in, Sapp out?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was at the first two practices in Cortland and I was able to get a pretty good picture of Schilens. He has the physical tools to be a solid WR and was by far the most impressive WR out there. Half way through day 2, he was beat up and sitting out. However, I do think he has a strong chance of making this team and I think a lot of the the reason Braylon and Plaxico were not seriously considered was because of the vision of lining up Turner, Schilens and Hill in the redzone. The Jets have never had three WR on the roster with that much size and talent. Considering, what they have at WR and how the Jets struggle utilizing their WRs correctly, I have no problem with him taking a roster spot.

Sapp probably doesn't make the team, initially, because of Maybin. Maybin and Sapp were the only two LBs working with the DEs during drills so they were being looked at for similar roles. I think the team is hoping that with the addition of Coples, the other young linemen and Maybin they will have a decent pass rush. Sapp had to earn his spot and despite a very strong start, he probably isn't worth the roster spot at this time.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Keyman View Post
    I was at the first two practices in Cortland and I was able to get a pretty good picture of Schilens. He has the physical tools to be a solid WR and was by far the most impressive WR out there. Half way through day 2, he was beat up and sitting out. However, I do think he has a strong chance of making this team and I think a lot of the the reason Braylon and Plaxico were not seriously considered was because of the vision of lining up Turner, Schilens and Hill in the redzone. The Jets have never had three WR on the roster with that much size and talent. Considering, what they have at WR and how the Jets struggle utilizing their WRs correctly, I have no problem with him taking a roster spot.

Sapp probably doesn't make the team, initially, because of Maybin. Maybin and Sapp were the only two LBs working with the DEs during drills so they were being looked at for similar roles. I think the team is hoping that with the addition of Coples, the other young linemen and Maybin they will have a decent pass rush. Sapp had to earn his spot and despite a very strong start, he probably isn't worth the roster spot at this time.
    So you really think that adding Schilens to the red zone instead of Plaxico or Braylon, was the reason neither of those two guys were considered?

Even though lining up Schilens is a potential pipe dream due to his fragility?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    So you really think that adding Schilens to the red zone instead of Plaxico or Braylon, was the reason neither of those two guys were considered?

Even though lining up Schilens is a potential pipe dream due to his fragility?
    I think there were other reasons that they didn't want to bring back those to players. What they did want to bring in were players that they thought could fill that role and thus Schilens and Hill. Its very simple at this point, if they think he can get on the field he makes the team. My point was more to the talent level and potential role. Comparing his situation to Sapp, Sapp may not have a clear role from day one on this team so he is more expendable despite a similar upside.