Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rex tipping hand on final 53? Schillens in, Sapp out?

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    As far as weapons go, our offense is a slingshot compared to other teams' bazookas.

... yes, but we are David ... and have Tim Tebow ... we will slay the mighty philistines ...

l_j_r

They tipped their hand that Schillens would be making the team the minute they signed him, by giving him a guaranteed contract.

Quote Originally Posted by JetsCrazey View Post
    sounds like Sapp is getting cut. Sucks, he seems to have ability, just can't get healthy at the right time.
    Why, are you concerned that another team will claim him? Same for Schillins.

Quote Originally Posted by Montana View Post
    They tipped their hand that Schillens would be making the team the minute they signed him, by giving him a guaranteed contract.
    They didn't. His contract isn't guaranteed.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    They didn't. His contract isn't guaranteed.

Most of it is.

500k of the 765k is guaranteed
    Last edited by LockeJET; 08-29-2012 at 09:11 AM.

I'd like to keep Schilens. Any weapons we can give to support Mark is a big help to the offense. Even if he only played 8 games at least we'd have some more offensive firepower in them. And it's already a sunk cost given the partial guarantee.

All League
    In 4 years he has what, 900 yards? He has never stayed healthy, doesn't look impressive at all when he is. He is a complete waste of a roster spot. It's a joke that we even signed him, let alone hint he is on the team.

Linebacker Ricky Sapp has been sidelined with a high ankle sprain since the Green and White Scrimmage Aug. 4 and will not make the trip to Philadelphia. Ryan said the Jets are "stacked pretty good" at linebacker, and Sapp's injury has kept him from making a case for a roster spot.

"It's frustrating," Sapp said. "It's tough because we've got a lot of linebackers, but I definitely think I can help the team out. But being hurt is not helping my case right now. Whatever they do, I'm going to understand, but I know patience is key."

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/201...ason_smit.html

Hate to lose him...even if he can clear waivers and be signed to the PS

Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Linebacker Ricky Sapp has been sidelined with a high ankle sprain since the Green and White Scrimmage Aug. 4 and will not make the trip to Philadelphia. Ryan said the Jets are "stacked pretty good" at linebacker, and Sapp's injury has kept him from making a case for a roster spot.

"It's frustrating," Sapp said. "It's tough because we've got a lot of linebackers, but I definitely think I can help the team out. But being hurt is not helping my case right now. Whatever they do, I'm going to understand, but I know patience is key."

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/201...ason_smit.html

Hate to lose him...even if he can clear waivers and be signed to the PS
    Since Sapp isn't ready to play at this time, if he makes the PS, he at least has a chance to be put on the 53 man roster later in the season. Injuries happen. Especially if Maybin gets injured, Sapp is capable of being a productive situational pass rusher.

IMO, there's nobody else on the roster, as effective as Maybin, in playing speed rusher from the DE position. Sapp is practically a Maybin clone, with a very quick first step, and strong closing burst of his own. Sapp would be the best candidate to replace Maybin.

Of course...I envisioned both of them being interchangeable in OLB/DE pass rushing roles. But it looks like it ain't gonna happen.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Wonder if Sapp is even PS eligible

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by JonEJet View Post
    Wonder if Sapp is even PS eligible
    he's listed as a second year player. didn't appear in any games last year, and don't think he was ever on the active roster.

looks like he's eligible.

Quote Originally Posted by gaffneycatch View Post
    he's listed as a second year player. didn't appear in any games last year, and don't think he was ever on the active roster.

looks like he's eligible.
    He was activated the final game..But he should still be PS eligible..

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyJet80 View Post
    In 4 years he has what, 900 yards? He has never stayed healthy, doesn't look impressive at all when he is. He is a complete waste of a roster spot. It's a joke that we even signed him, let alone hint he is on the team.
    +1

In between injuries Chaz Schilens is not even a mediocre NFL WR. Ditto for Patrick McCareins. Why the hell did we not sign Braylon Edwards on the cheap when we had the chance.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    What has Schilens done to justify his roster spot?
    Get hurt running in shorts and sneakers in non-contact drills? Watch TC and Preseason on the sidelines?

Sanjay Lal is the reason Schilens is here and frankly, why not? With the lack of experience at receiver he'll be the third most experienced and it seems like they'll be keeping six receivers -- Holmes, Kerley, Hill, Turner and White on top of Schilens.

Quote Originally Posted by doggin94it View Post
    In Rex's press conference today, per twitter:

Seth Walder ‏@SethWalderNYDN Ryan expects WRs Holmes, Kerley, Schilens all to play vs. Buffalo in week 1. #nyj http://nydn.us/PoMm6B

Jets RapidReports ‏@CBSSportsNFLNYJ
    Current injuries - defense: Po'uha (back), DeVito (calf), Harris (ankle), Smith (knee/hip), Bell (knee)

Current injuries offense: Ferguson (back), Keller (hamstring), Schilens (ankle), Holmes (hmstrng), Kerley (hmstrng), Cumberland (concussion)

S Eric Smith is the main question mark for the #Jets season opener against Buffalo. Still dealing with hip injury sustained against Bengals.
    Any news on Wake Forest player Josh Bush???? He went to high school around here as well and someone asked me about him.

Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    Any news on Wake Forest player Josh Bush???? He went to high school around here as well and someone asked me about him.
    As of right now he seems to be the #1 reserve at S. I've seen him on the field more than Allen.

Quote Originally Posted by 124 View Post
    As of right now he seems to be the #1 reserve at S. I've seen him on the field more than Allen.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by 124 View Post
    Correct. He started in place of Bell Sunday night

Quote Originally Posted by GreenReaper View Post
    Since Sapp isn't ready to play at this time, if he makes the PS, he at least has a chance to be put on the 53 man roster later in the season. Injuries happen. Especially if Maybin gets injured, Sapp is capable of being a productive situational pass rusher.

IMO, there's nobody else on the roster, as effective as Maybin, in playing speed rusher from the DE position. Sapp is practically a Maybin clone, with a very quick first step, and strong closing burst of his own. Sapp would be the best candidate to replace Maybin.

Of course...I envisioned both of them being interchangeable in OLB/DE pass rushing roles. But it looks like it ain't gonna happen.
    If Sapp is waived and claimed by another team, he might not even pass that teams physical now. Although a team could still keep him knowing his ankle will eventually be good to go...

At the very least I hope he is signed to the Jets PS...Let his ankle heal up and then bring him up to the 53 man roster..