Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Leberfeld: Mike Tannenbaum is supposed to address the media today

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    I agree completely. EVERY TEAM has certain problem positions or weaknesses. One of ours is RT. But this wasn't entirely Tannenbaum's doing...The Jets HAD a plan and invested a high pick (2nd round) on Ducasse with the backup plan being Hunter. Neither worked out. These things happen sometimes. The strategy was there, they were planning for the eventual retirement of Woody, but with lots of money already invested in guys like D'Brick and Mangold you can't break the bank on one particular unit like the OLine and go get another very expensive guy or spend another 1st round pick. It backfired and the Jets are trying to improve the situation...even if just incrementally.

The Jets have a done a good job trying to balance the cap across all the units on the team. DLine and our pass rush was a MAJOR problem and the Jets have now started turning it into a strength. Who knows, maybe Coples, Wilk, Ellis, etc. will be so disruptive that we'll really increase the turnovers and give our offense a short field....which they'll really need.
    This wasn't entirely Tannenbaum's doing? Didn't he draft Ducasse--whose "doing" was that? So he struck out on Ducasse, and what did he do this year to remedy it?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rextilleon View Post
    This wasn't entirely Tannenbaum's doing? Didn't he draft Ducasse--whose "doing" was that? So he struck out on Ducasse, and what did he do this year to remedy it?
    I'm saying that it wasn't as if the Jets ignored RT. They tried to address it, they recognized that Woody was moving on and made an investment. The investment in Ducasse didn't pan out. Draft picks do not always hit and this one didn't. With Hunter it seems as if everyone (not just Tanny) but coaches like Sparano thought he'd come around. They seemed to think it was coaching or what Schotty was asking Hunter to do last year that caused his problems. We know that's not the case...Hunter just has a permanent condition called suckage. There's no excuse...it was an organizational failure. In hindsight, I'm sure everyone in the org is saying that they should have addressed OT better in FA or the draft.

Draft mistakes often take time to overcome and remedy, especially when they are made to address a need. When Ducasse was drafted RT was about to become a need...and the Jets missed. The same thing happened with our DLine and passrush. Vernon Gholston was a miss...the Jets have now drafted two defensive linemen (Wilk, Coples) and a LB (Davis) pretty high in efforts to overcome the lack of Front 7 talent and passrush that's plagued this team for several years. They will address OT similarly is my guess....but it can't be done right now.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rextilleon View Post
    If you want to fire every single GM (let's assume just the GM makes these decisions with no input from anyone else) for striking out on a player, then you're going to fire everyone who walks through the door.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    actually, unlike rextilleon's posting, ducasse's play has shown a large improvement this training camp. preseason and, although I agree, hardly worth a second round pick, it appears he may be a useful cog in the OL this season

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    If you want to fire every single GM (let's assume just the GM makes these decisions with no input from anyone else) for striking out on a player, then you're going to fire everyone who walks through the door.
    Exactly. Tannenbaum has a decades long track record that's definitely above average. He's hit a lot of singles and doubles with a few homeruns like Revis, Mangold, etc. Occasionally a guy swings hard and misses...and those strikeouts are ugly to watch. That's what happened at RT.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sg3 View Post
    actually, unlike rextilleon's posting, ducasse's play has shown a large improvement this training camp. preseason and, although I agree, hardly worth a second round pick, it appears he may be a useful cog in the OL this season
    What do you think is the best possible outcome for Ducasse? Do you think he ever earns a starting OG spot where we say, yes....he's definitely a starting caliber Guard? Or, is he destined to always be the 6th best offensive lineman on any team he plays for?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    right now, I'd say the latter barring an injury to Slaussen or Moore which hopefully doesn't occur--- my point is that, at least, unlike Gholston, he will probably contribute this year.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Brian Costello ‏@BrianCoz
    League source says Smith deal was reworked and his Jets salary is $2.45 million, same as Hunter's

What will the naysayers say now...
    So it's a one year deal?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    We got the younger player... not sure if we got better player......

Kudo's for Tanny regarding cost.... $4.0m was a hefty price for back-up....

Still think Tanny grades an "F" for handling OL this season.... zero depth... no real back-up center , guard or tackle .....

3-Pro Bowlers.. ugh..... vastly overated.... with exception of Mangold....

Slauson is b/u center? god help jets if Ducasse has to play a down... yikes...

He throw more "Look Out" blocks than Hunter....

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetfan51 View Post
    We got the younger player... not sure if we got better player......

Kudo's for Tanny regarding cost.... $4.0m was a hefty price for back-up....

Still think Tanny grades an "F" for handling OL this season.... zero depth... no real back-up center , guard or tackle .....

3-Pro Bowlers.. ugh..... vastly overated.... with exception of Mangold....

Slauson is b/u center? god help jets if Ducasse has to play a down... yikes...

He throw more "Look Out" blocks than Hunter....
    Schauderaff is the backup C/OG and has played well

Ducasse has had a very good pre-season at OG

What are you watching?

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    maybe Coples, Wilk, Ellis, etc. will be so disruptive that we'll really increase the turnovers

... let it be so! ...

... ellis was a monster sunday ... def earned himself some playing time this season ... believe he'll be playing tomorrow night ... will be fun to watch! ...

l_j_r

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    What do you think is the best possible outcome for Ducasse? Do you think he ever earns a starting OG spot where we say, yes....he's definitely a starting caliber Guard? Or, is he destined to always be the 6th best offensive lineman on any team he plays for?

I'm one of the few guys on the board who actually thought the Ducasse pick would eventually pan out. I think the lockout really hurt his development since he came from a small school. And then he was miscast as a RT and asked to learn multiple roles on the OL. All that delayed his progress.

But now at his natural position, OG, he can use his great size and strength to his advantage. Also he only has to get comfortable with one position instead of trying to learn the whole OL.

Given his delays in getting ready it's not a great return on a 2nd round pick. I think more realistically Ducasse should have probably gone in the 3rd or 4th round. But he's definitely not the complete bust most on JI have portrayed him to be.

I think it's likely that Ducasse is the starting OG for the Jets next season. Maybe even this year in case of injury.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Pats should fire their GM too with all those wasted draft picks. The draft is like one big freaking Lottery. You roll the dice ... nobody knows how a college kid will adapt to the professional game. How many freaking experts predict sure things and they end up being bust. If Andrew Luck ends up being a bust (which won't happen) and RG3 ends up being a 5x superbowl winner does that mean the Colts GM made a dumb mistake? NO it just means RG3 progressed much better than Luck and that Luck was a huge let down. The choice wasn't the let down cause Luck had the potential. Most teams even the one's that do well in the draft usually get a bust every now and then and usually take a while to develop players. Some teams get lucky and some teams get unlucky. Of course you see teams make horrible mistakes but for the most part the draft thing is the roll of a dice.

We were in rebuilding stage a couple of years ago after the Favre situation and we made it to back to back AFCC games with a slightly below average QB cause of the pieces Tanny went and got. He struck gold with Braylon, LT, & Santonio in year 1. Struck out with Plax ... it happens. Vlad has been a flop but Slauson has been ridiculously consistent for us. Tanny has done a solid job all things considered. He moved up and got the best available guy in Sanchez. Tanny doesn't coach ... sometimes u can draft a guy and the coaches have to develop them properly. For what its worth Tanny has been better than 90% of GM's out there ...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post

What are you watching?
    The pretty ball floating through the air. The rest of the stuff is just all too confusing for some.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lageman4ever View Post
    I'm one of the few guys on the board who actually thought the Ducasse pick would eventually pan out. I think the lockout really hurt his development since he came from a small school. And then he was miscast as a RT and asked to learn multiple roles on the OL. All that delayed his progress.

But now at his natural position, OG, he can use his great size and strength to his advantage. Also he only has to get comfortable with one position instead of trying to learn the whole OL.

Given his delays in getting ready it's not a great return on a 2nd round pick. I think more realistically Ducasse should have probably gone in the 3rd or 4th round. But he's definitely not the complete bust most on JI have portrayed him to be.

I think it's likely that Ducasse is the starting OG for the Jets next season. Maybe even this year in case of injury.

My thoughts exactly, I think this is moore's last yr and ducasse will be starting at guard next yr. poor value for 2nd round pick in that he's done pretty much nothing so far, but he shouldn'nt be to expensive to resign assuming he cont to develop and can take over at guard

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lageman4ever View Post

All in all, pretty fair. Although I'd lean towards 4th round at best.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

What are you watching?
    I thought it was just pre season.

Or does that excuse only work for the phuck ups?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    All in all, pretty fair. Although I'd lean towards 4th round at best.
    and if he were taken in the 4th round, a lot of the complaining wouldn't have occurred. i hope tanny has learned that your top 2-3 picks each year should be ready or near ready to contribute.

that said, if ducasse continues to improve, he could start for moore next year since his body seems to be breaking down a bit. i'm also assuming they draft a RT in the first 2 rounds next year and also bring in a free agent. so the right side could actually be a 'power' running line if they get a road grader at Rt and use ducasse.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like

What are you watching?
    Probably watching them play against 2nd and 3rd teamers while the offense bogs down and doesn't score.

I guess the question is how do you define 'playing well' for indviduals playing in a unit that hasn't performed well.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    and if he were taken in the 4th round, a lot of the complaining wouldn't have occurred. i hope tanny has learned that your top 2-3 picks each year should be ready or near ready to contribute.

that said, if ducasse continues to improve, he could start for moore next year since his body seems to be breaking down a bit. i'm also assuming they draft a RT in the first 2 rounds next year and also bring in a free agent. so the right side could actually be a 'power' running line if they get a road grader at Rt and use ducasse.
    not again...This has been discussed ad nauseum on here..I'll sit this one out.