Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Leberfeld: Mike Tannenbaum is supposed to address the media today

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LadainianIMnotDONE View Post
    Pats should fire their GM too with all those wasted draft picks. The draft is like one big freaking Lottery. You roll the dice ... nobody knows how a college kid will adapt to the professional game. How many freaking experts predict sure things and they end up being bust. If Andrew Luck ends up being a bust (which won't happen) and RG3 ends up being a 5x superbowl winner does that mean the Colts GM made a dumb mistake? NO it just means RG3 progressed much better than Luck and that Luck was a huge let down. The choice wasn't the let down cause Luck had the potential. Most teams even the one's that do well in the draft usually get a bust every now and then and usually take a while to develop players. Some teams get lucky and some teams get unlucky. Of course you see teams make horrible mistakes but for the most part the draft thing is the roll of a dice.

I'd say the draft is not nearly as random as you are suggesting. Sure there is uncertainty in the process. But some teams have success year after year: Baltimore, Giants and Green Bay. It's not surprising that those clubs are also consistently the better ones in the league.

Draft success is not just having good talent scouts (though that is crucial). It's also fit of the player to the scheme you're using (and not switching schemes every few years with coaching changes). It's the ability of the position coaches to teach new skills. It's the patience of the FO to develop players over a year or two. It's thinking ahead in terms of contracts / age and getting new guys in before they are needed. All of those factors contribute to whether a drafted player will succeed.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    not again...This has been discussed ad nauseum on here..I'll sit this one out.
    fair enough. i'm just glad they took coples and didn't reach for a RT. can you imagine the hate on this board if ingram and coples are burning it up in preseason and we're watching mike adams or jonathan martin suck?

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    fair enough. i'm just glad they took coples and didn't reach for a RT. can you imagine the hate on this board if ingram and coples are burning it up in preseason and we're watching mike adams or jonathan martin suck?
    I agree. You don't compound the error of reaching on Ducasse by reaching again especially because d-line was an area of need.

The problem is RT is not the only area of need on the o_line. Moore hasn't been the same since his hip surgery, and is now out after a 'procedure until opening day. And a JAG like Slausson gets more exposed because of the weaker parts around him.

I would have been happier with an olineman in the 4th round, rather than Tebow.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Piper View Post
    I agree. You don't compound the error of reaching on Ducasse by reaching again especially because d-line was an area of need.

The problem is RT is not the only area of need on the o_line. Moore hasn't been the same since his hip surgery, and is now out after a 'procedure until opening day. And a JAG like Slausson gets more exposed because of the weaker parts around him.

Again, it wasn't a reach on Ducasse...Proof has been posted many times...Now, I'm out..

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

While I agree about Tebow, I don't get the Slauson comment. He is surrounded by 2 pro bowlers in Ferg and Mangold and has far exceeded expectations as a 6th round lineman. He's been consistent and I have not noticed a drop-off from Faneca. He is the least of our worries.

Now if we can secure a good blocking TE and veteran WR and RB I will be much more comfortable going into the season now that the FO has addressed the RT position.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

moore's had a few procedures the past few years and it's possible ducasse will be playing sooner rather than later. it would really be a turn of events if ducasse plays half the year and plays well, esp. since he doesn't have a great RT next to him. wouldn't that be something. it would almost offset kyle wilson stinking.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    I thought it was just pre season.

Or does that excuse only work for the phuck ups?
    zing!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    and if he were taken in the 4th round, a lot of the complaining wouldn't have occurred. i hope tanny has learned that your top 2-3 picks each year should be ready or near ready to contribute.
    Good point. I hope so too. He needs to realize that you don't draft a "project" that high. There comes a time where a GM has to just simply pass on a player in that scenario and hope he drops down and can pick him up later. If not, then let another team deal with the "growing pains."

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    Good point. I hope so too. He needs to realize that you don't draft a "project" that high. There comes a time where a GM has to just simply pass on a player in that scenario and hope he drops down and can pick him up later. If not, then let another team deal with the "growing pains."
    i thought stephen hill was a good compromise, he can clearly help this season but will need a few years to reach his full potential. even kendrick ellis, it's only his 2nd year and looks much improved from a year ago.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Again, it wasn't a reach on Ducasse...Proof has been posted many times...Now, I'm out..
    Proof? How can something like that be proved?

It's a matter of opinion.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by suprjet View Post
    While I agree about Tebow, I don't get the Slauson comment. He is surrounded by 2 pro bowlers in Ferg and Mangold and has far exceeded expectations as a 6th round lineman. He's been consistent and I have not noticed a drop-off from Faneca. He is the least of our worries.

Now if we can secure a good blocking TE and veteran WR and RB I will be much more comfortable going into the season now that the FO has addressed the RT position.
    Ferguson was far from Pro Bowl quality last year and the running game hasn't come close to what it was with Faneca. It's probably a push in pass protection, as Faneca was showing his age when faced with younger high level d-lineman. Although with Ferg struggling last year that flowed over to Slauson as well.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    Proof? How can something like that be proved?

It's a matter of opinion.
    I think the consensus of the scouting community was that Ducasse had the potential to be a starting NFL lineman. NFL Draft Scout had him ranked the #8 OT in his class. His size ( 332 ) and strength ( 28 reps ) suggested he could become a road grader. But I think most front offices understood that Ducasse, as a small school guy and immigrant from Haiti, was a bit raw and might take a little time to develop. However I don't think the scouts believed it would take 2 or 3 years as has happened with the Jets.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lageman4ever View Post
    I think the consensus of the scouting community was that Ducasse had the potential to be a starting NFL lineman. NFL Draft Scout had him ranked the #8 OT in his class. His size ( 332 ) and strength ( 28 reps ) suggested he could become a road grader. But I think most front offices understood that Ducasse, as a small school guy and immigrant from Haiti, was a bit raw and might take a little time to develop. However I don't think the scouts believed it would take 2 or 3 years as has happened with the Jets.
    Exactly..Gil Brandt had a mid-2nd round grade...Mayock thought the cowboys might take him in the first.

The lockout hurt Vlad..As did the Jets moving him all around the OL from T to OG and back and forth..He's looked real good so far at OG, we'll see as the season unfolds...