Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Jets finally got it right: It's the pass rush stupid (not the economy)

Here's the deal... if he hold up the Jets then trade him for nothing less than a top three pick and a two and four to go with it. Letting his and Sanchez's salary's go while keeping a solid defense will set the Jets up for the future.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by cant wait View Post
    say we cut revis and save $12-14M in cap space and start cro/wilson. you really think that cap space is going to be enough for our offense to get a lot better than "AAA" and 8-8? I don't. I think the jets need to build around their strengths and minimize their weaknesses. just because it's unconventional doesn't mean it can't work. the offense does need to improve but defensive teams can still win in this league
    Maybe. Maybe not. IMO, b.c of this offense, this team currently has a ceiling on it.

We also need to find out where we are at the QB position. That is why a lot of this Revis talk is premature and I think they would have worked something out with Revis if they were sure about Sanchez. Everything is tied together.

Hopefully we can keep Revis and build around Sanchez. But there has to be limits in place. We need flexibility. And Mr. Revis needs to be flexible.

Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    Why was Deion Sanders on 5 different teams then??
    The difference with deon was that he went to team that was on the verge of being a Super Bowl winner. The teams like Dallas sanfran had a great team on. Both sides of the ball, when he was signed he took them over the top. His salary was not one of An elite qb that eats up 10% or more of your cap. Revis is a luxury for a team tHat can pay him what he wants to win the Super Bowl. Rex and Tanny don't want to loose there best player so they over paid. Look at Houston last year instead of going after Aso or a Revis $$$ player they signed two solid db's and used the money to bolster other positions.

Revis Is a luxury, the two Super Bowl teams last year had zero shutdown db's. The giants lost most of their db's to injury. The jets have a history of over paying many of their players.

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Maybe. Maybe not. IMO, b.c of this offense, this team currently has a ceiling on it.

We also need to find out where we are at the QB position. That is why a lot of this Revis talk is premature and I think they would have worked something out with Revis if they were sure about Sanchez. Everything is tied together.

Hopefully we can keep Revis and build around Sanchez. But there has to be limits in place. We need flexibility. And Mr. Revis needs to be flexible.
    If anything they need rework the average QBs salary or maybe the no show WR we gave a huge contract to. Not the Elite CB that shows up every game and is best in the game.

This offense is 1 or 2 playmakers away, and it doesn't have to be at the Megatron level.

Quote Originally Posted by MDL_JET View Post
    If anything they need rework the average QBs salary or maybe the no show WR we gave a huge contract to. Not the Elite CB that shows up every game and is best in the game.

This offense is 1 or 2 playmakers away, and it doesn't have to be at the Megatron level.
    They are one play maker away but, our QB slot is already filled.

Jets Insider VIP
    Peyton Manning in the AFCCG shouldve diffused the CB argument, but Rex saw it as a need to get better CBs than better pass rush. An elite CB can take an elite WR away, but that is only 1 player. That CB is not taking away the No. 2 WR, the slot receiver or the pass catching TE, especially Revis whom Rex, for whatever reason, does not move him around on the field.

The elite pass rush, however, can eliminate ALL receivers by fircing the QB to make an errant throw or not throw at all. Thats why, no matter if Revis is the best CB in NFL history, he will not be as important to the team's success as JPP or other elite pass rusher.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    Except that an elite QB gives you a better chance at winning than an elite CB.

I swear, some of you would pay a long snapper 20 Mil guaranteed if he was elite.

You just don't tie up big money in some positions.
    You really think Tanny would put that money to good use? He'd end up using half of the savings of cutting Revis to give extensions to every player who's confidence was shot from playing poorly... a.k.a Sanchez, Hunter... lol

There's no way you let Revis walk.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post
    Peyton Manning in the AFCCG shouldve diffused the CB argument, but Rex saw it as a need to get better CBs than better pass rush. An elite CB can take an elite WR away, but that is only 1 player. That CB is not taking away the No. 2 WR, the slot receiver or the pass catching TE, especially Revis whom Rex, for whatever reason, does not move him around on the field.

The elite pass rush, however, can eliminate ALL receivers by fircing the QB to make an errant throw or not throw at all. Thats why, no matter if Revis is the best CB in NFL history, he will not be as important to the team's success as JPP or other elite pass rusher.
    Interesting... I agree with the quote in bold. I've been saying the same thing about why Rex doesn't move Revis around. Last week they had Revis covering the Panthers WR2 meanwhile Lafell kept burning Kyle Wilson for 1st downs. I'm by far not a defensive expert but like you, I don't get it.

Also, I think you're overrating pass rushers a bit much. I'd rather have Revis than JPP anyday. If Kyle Wilson turned out to be a better corner we wouldn't even be having this conversation because we'd have the number 1 D.

Everyone calm down----How many sacks did Mo have last year? How many did Maybin have? How many did Coples have (oh, he didn't play last year). Lets just wait and see what they do when the real games start.

All League
    Corner is critical position. Of course it's not as vital as QB, we all know that. But football GMs understand how crucial it is. That why they are among the highest paid positions on the field. And Revis is the best at that position, so he is paid accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    I think Revis is a great player but a great CB isn't the most important player on the team.. Do the Giants have a great secondary?? Do they beat the Pats?? Notice our top draft choices in the last 2 drafts??
    Savvy and wise is the Savage

An awesome pass rush from the DL, can mask the deficiencies of a mediocre secondary. That's what the Giants did in that 2007 win over the Pats.

The Pats had the most prolific passing attack in NFL history. But Strahan, Osi, Tuck and the rest, pressured Brady 24/7. Held that highest scoring team ever, to a mere 14 points. That front 7 pressure was how they held them.

And the Jints have been doing this to Brady and the Pats every time they meet them. Did it last year twice...in the regular season. Then in the Supe...it's checkmate every time.

I'm also aware that having good QB play is important too. As in having Eli. And if you don't have that kind of QB play...then it becomes even more imperative, that you have a monster front 7 pass rush. And the Giants have shown...that starts with the DL.

Believe me...I'm not against keeping Revis. But it ain't the end of the world, if both parties can't come to a mutually satisfying agreement on a contract. Jets have the responsibility to build a competitive team. Mangold and Brick were reasonable contracts. Hopefully a Revis contract will be a reasonable one too. If not...Jets and Revis may have to part ways.

And I'll have to live with it...cause I bleed Green.

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    The answer is paying him at the expense of the offense. We are currently fielding a AAA offense.

We know what we are with Revis and this offense. That is 8-8.

We can have the #1 defense in the league this year and still finish 7-9.

Lets see where we are at the end of this season. This is a very big year for the direction of this team.
    The AAA offense isn't because of Revis. It's because of personnel decisions.

The Jets have dumped plenty of resources into the offense -- they paid Sanchez, Ferguson, Mangold, Holmes, Woody, Faneca etc. They used a first round pick on a TE, seconds on a G and WR.

I'm not sure how Revis has hurt the offense.

The 2009 Saints obviously won with primarily their offense, but their defense that year was built around the secondary, which forced a lot of turnovers. In fact, the defense forced 26 interceptions that year, third best in the league.

Sharper was a runner up for DMVP that year, plus Jabari Greer and Tracy Porter had great seasons. Porter obviously had the pick 6 in the SB, and I believe it was he who had the late game INT on Favre in the NFCCG.

My basic point is that there is no exact science to building a championship team. All the SB winners were either great complete teams and/or got hot at the end of the season. Each season after a team wins the SB, the narrative is always, "Well the SB champs won it with X, and you MUST have that to win." Completely hypothetical, but let's say the Jets win the SB this year...do you realize how many fans and analysts will be clamoring that a team needs a shutdown corner to win it all?
    Last edited by Rexipus Rex; 08-29-2012 at 01:21 AM.

Hey sorry didnt read pages 3-5 too much of the same thing repeated. (Me taking part now) But yeah.. guys... seriously? Come on Revis is one of the few respectable things left about the Jets. Not only that but I havent seen a cornerback as tight in coverage EVER. Period. I want him to be a Jet till his fuel runs out entirely. Sorry but people so quick to post TOO MUCH MONEY or DOESNT WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS are really sounding dumb to me right now. Lets get rid of arguably the best defensive player in the legue in a defensive minded team so we can what? Get a bunch of new players and start over again? Sorry just sounds like a few of you need to up your omega 3 or something.

Talking

People who want Revis gone from this team just don't understand football, it just boggles my mind. Revis is a once in a lifetime player, he's the best cover corner I've ever seen play and that's including Sanders. The same people that minimize his importance to this defense will the the ones complaining when we get shredded by number ones all over again like we used to.

Revis is a special player people, he was voted the best defensive player in the league for a reason. His value in terms of wins and losses cannot be quantified, but I would say that last year we win 4 games without him. You can trade him get picks back in return, save 5 million dollars, no 10, and still not get back what you lose with Revis. For those of you who still don't understand his importance just think about the last time he had a bad game or was burned for a TD, think back to the last time when he didn't take half the field away. Fck some of you are really stupid numbskulls sometimes.
    Last edited by Slikmojet; 08-29-2012 at 05:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rexipus Rex View Post
    The 2009 Saints obviously won with primarily their offense, but their defense that year was built around the secondary, which forced a lot of turnovers. In fact, the defense forced 26 interceptions that year, third best in the league.

Sharper was a runner up for DMVP that year, plus Jabari Greer and Tracy Porter had great seasons. Porter obviously had the pick 6 in the SB, and I believe it was he who had the late game INT on Favre in the NFCCG.

My basic point is that there is no exact science to building a championship team. All the SB winners were either great complete teams and/or got hot at the end of the season. Each season after a team wins the SB, the narrative is always, "Well the SB champs won it with X, and you MUST have that to win." Completely hypothetical, but let's say the Jets win the SB this year...do you realize how many fans and analysts will be clamoring that a team needs a shutdown corner to win it all?
    Interesting post. But the Saints were the exception to the rule. The Steelers did it with Harrison & Woodley, the Giants with JPP, Tuck, Osi, etc..., the Colts with Freeny & Mathis. And one major reason the Packers couldn't repeat as Super Bowl champs last year was because their pass rush took a step backwards (which they hoped to address in this past Draft by drafting a pass rushing LB in the 1st round).

Quote Originally Posted by Slikmojet View Post
    People who want Revis gone from this team just don't understand football, it just boggles my mind. Revis is a once in a lifetime player, he's the best cover corner I've ever seen play and that's including Sanders. The same people that minimize his importance to this defense will the the ones complaining when we get shredded by number ones all over again like we used to.

Revis is a special player people, he was voted the best defensive player in the league for a reason. His value in terms of wins and losses cannot be quantified, but I would say that last year we win 4 games without him. You can trade him get picks back in return, save 5 million dollars, no 10, and still not get back what you lose with Revis. For those of you who still don't understand his importance just think about the last time he had a bad game or was burned for a TD, think back to the last time when he didn't take half the field away. Fck some of you are really stupid numbskulls sometimes.
    I don't think anyone wants Revis gone. But in the Salary cap era, where you have to spend wisely and decide where to invest your money, given the choice between two shut down corners or a dominant D-line like the Giants - you got to go with the D-line.

SMC, you're still one of the smartest posters around. Great post!

Lol u guys act like the giants whooped the pats. it's been 1 play in every game that's made the difference.(a dropped ball by the perennial league leader in catches to name one) Sometimes it better to be lucky then good. I mean maybe if Pitt or Indy fumbles 2 punt returns we might have gotten to a SB as well. And btw don't negate Deion did for Sanfran. he didn't get DPOTY for showing up.

i think this fundamental change in rex's approach to defense is why they've revamped the dline. also, he's observed how the giants knock around brady b/c their line manhandles the NE line. so now the jets have guys who are at least capable of doing that, and along with more lb/s speed, hopefully the TEs don't crap on them as much.