Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Jets finally got it right: It's the pass rush stupid (not the economy)

Jets finally got it right: It's the pass rush stupid (not the economy)

I know everyone wants to complain about our offense and all, but there's one big reason to get excited: WE FINALLY GOT A PASS RUSH! I can't wait to watch Coples, Wilkerson, Ellis (& Maybin). These guys are young, fun to watch, and can get to the QB. Credit Tanny and Rex for finally getting it right by spending high draft picks on D-linemen. With all due respect to Revis, Cro & Wilson, cover corners don't win championships - pass rushers do. I remember how disappointed I was when we drafted a slot corner in the first round a few years ago (Kyle Wilson). All the Jets homers told me that I don't understand Rex Ryan's system and that these guys are more valuable than pass rushers. Well that was BS then and it's BS now. You build from the inside-out (not the other way around). The Giants have had the right formula for years. Hopefully it'll be our turn soon.

Hall Of Fame
    Which is why in 2013 we trade Revis and package those picks to move up for another pass rusher or a huge playmaker on offense.

QBs and QB killas. Thats what it is all about.

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Which is why in 2013 we trade Revis and package those picks to move up for another pass rusher or a huge playmaker on offense.

Or how about we keep revis and draft another pass rusher to create a truly dominant D. We can have both

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by cant wait View Post
    Or how about we keep revis and draft another pass rusher to create a truly dominant D. We can have both
    If Revis is willing to sign a Cromartie type deal then yes. Can't pay him 16-18 million and have what we have on offense.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardTodd27 View Post
    I know everyone wants to complain about our offense and all, but there's one big reason to get excited: WE FINALLY GOT A PASS RUSH! I can't wait to watch Coples, Wilkerson, Ellis (& Maybin). These guys are young, fun to watch, and can get to the QB. Credit Tanny and Rex for finally getting it right by spending high draft picks on D-linemen. With all due respect to Revis & Cro, cover corners don't win championships - pass rushers do. I remember how disappointed I was when we drafted a slot corner in the first round a few years ago (Kyle Wilson). All the Jets homers told me that I don't understand Rex Ryan's system and that these guys are more valuable than pass rushers. Well that was BS then and it's BS now. You build from the inside-out (not the other way around). The Giants have had the right formula for years. Hopefully it'll be our turn soon.
    Fixed. You called Kyle Wilson a cover corner by a mistake.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by detectivekimble View Post
    Fixed. You called Kyle Wilson a cover corner by a mistake.
    His "trail" technique is very good.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Revis is going to be paid

Hopefully by us.....if you hope otherwise, i seriously doubt your Football IQ

Revis is just going to ask for a new deal a year after he gets a new one.

I wouldn't mind getting some high picks in exchange for him. I mean, he's elite, but we still have no Bowl. Why bother with him?

Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    Revis is just going to ask for a new deal a year after he gets a new one.

I wouldn't mind getting some high picks in exchange for him. I mean, he's elite, but we still have no Bowl. Why bother with him?
    Lets trade all our players for picks, we have no bowl, why bother with them?

We haven't played a single game this year, we don't know if the pass rush is fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by Chupa View Post
    Lets trade all our players for picks, we have no bowl, why bother with them?

We haven't played a single game this year, we don't know if the pass rush is fixed.
    You're missing the point. We have all this money going to Revis because he's an elite CB. Elite CBs don't win you Superbowls.

And we're supposed to give him MORE money? Screw that.

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post

DD's right on the money here.

Mo, Ellis, and Coples were the first three pieces that needed to be put in place. Next is a pass rushing OLB and solidify the OL.

You're missing the point. We have all this money going to Revis because he's an elite CB. Elite CBs don't win you Superbowls.

Exactly. You can't tie up 10% of your cap money in a CB.

As great as he is, Revis has to go. Hopefully, they can trade him next offseason. If not, the Jets have to let him walk.

Veteran

You have to pay your superstars, regardless of position. Many teams take much bigger annual cap hits for their QBs than the Jets do, so it all evens out.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Crable View Post
    Exactly. You can't tie up 10% of your cap money in a CB.

As great as he is, Revis has to go. Hopefully, they can trade him next offseason. If not, the Jets have to let him walk.
    You guys are nuts. It doesn't matter where your best player plays - you keep him, espc. when he is the best in the league and durable.

It's a passing league and DB's don't count?? Interesting . . .

I'd only move on from a player like that if by some chance it kept us from having the dough to go after a QB. Espc. with new rookie cap, money isn't going to be an issue in this way - can definitely build from the draft going forward. Passing off Revis to another team would be the height of stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronxville Jets Fan View Post
    You have to pay your superstars, regardless of position. Many teams take much bigger annual cap hits for their QBs than the Jets do, so it all evens out.
    Wrong.

You don't commit 10% of you cap space to a CB and expect to win anything.

It's much better to spend $15 million of a couple of players who can force the QB to have to throw the ball in 3.5 seconds than it is to spend that money on one player who can cover one reciever for 7 seconds.

It just is.

As great as Revis is...and he is an all-time great at his position...the Jets would be foolish to pay him, and even more foolish if they don't trade him while he's worth a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by adpz View Post
    You guys are nuts. It doesn't matter where your best player plays - you keep him, espc. when he is the best in the league and durable.

I'd only move on from a player like that if by some chance it kept us from having the dough to go after a QB. Espc. with new rookie cap, money isn't going to be an issue in this way - can definitely build from the draft going forward. Passing off Revis to another team would be the height of stupidity.
    Nope. Not in this case you don't.

The only smart move is to trade Revis this offseason.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronxville Jets Fan View Post
    Except that an elite QB gives you a better chance at winning than an elite CB.

I swear, some of you would pay a long snapper 20 Mil guaranteed if he was elite.

You just don't tie up big money in some positions.

Agreed. Guess how many other teams wish they had a player who could effectively negate the opponent's best WR week in and week out?

And we should trade/release that player? For what- cap savings? draft picks (for 50/50 at best college prospects)? Come on that's just plain dumb. Revis should not be going anywhere. If he gets traded, it better be for a minimum of 18 #1 picks and throw in a franchise QB or 2 for good measure.

In the salary cap era, name one team that has dedicated 10% or more of it's cap space to a cornerback and won a Superbowl.

If you can't do that, just name one that has won a Conference Championship.

If you can't do that, just name one that has won a Division.

Go ahead...

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

You guys are nuts. It doesn't matter where your best player plays - you keep him, espc. when he is the best in the league and durable. It's a passing league and DB's don't count?? Interesting . . .

Why was Deion Sanders on 5 different teams then??