Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rams eat part of Smith's salary to complete trade.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Tannenbaum said the Jets did not intend to trade Hunter when they said publicly last Thursday that he would not be moved. But he said the Rams called Friday and talks heated up from there.
    We go all weekend without one single tantalizing tweet about "blockbuster trade winds" or any such hint whatsoever?

You suck Tannenbum.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post

When are you going to stop with your over-the-top conspiracy theories?

The Jets made moves all off-season, they addressed several areas, and they prioritized those areas. Teams can't address every hole the way YOU want them to, it just doesn't work that way. And stop with the circus bull****, because it is nothing more than BS.

The team is making moves now at RT because the Hunter plan didn't work out, they obviously liked Howard and spent the last year developing him with a back-up plan that he could impress, he's done that, and now the team has made a move for a player who has disappointed, but does have talent, and still has potential, real potential, maybe a change of scenery works.

ALL teams will make a flurry of moves right into the start of the season, ALL teams, the GOOD teams too, the crap drivel about how the Jets are unorganized and don't have a plan is exactly that, CRAP.

It's time you wake up and stop with the over-the-top dramatization with every damn post.

Whiney, sofa-GMs, only have the media and fantasy football to base their "knowledge" on. If they knew anything about football..... or had any original thought......... they wouldn't spew the same, tired, agenda driven b/s that has become the norm.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by First DOWN! View Post
    So the Rams paid the Jets to take Smith off their hands? We might be entering a new level of suck for a RT.
    We just entered a new level of suck................................ for posts.

Congratulations.............. but, watch out.......... there are some contenders, on this board. I have no doubt, it'll get beat.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    The arrangement makes sense, because the Jets would not sign up to pay even more money for a back-up tackle. Smith's 2013 salary, a reported $12 million that voids if he plays in less than 31 percent of the snaps this season, does not change.

General manager Mike Tannenbaum confirmed that the team's plans are to keep Austin Howard as the starting right tackle, a role he took on when Hunter was benched last week. Smith will be a back-up left and right tackle, and also come in as the jumbo tight end.

Like coach Rex Ryan, though, Tannenbaum left the door slightly open at the position, saying, "We'll see how the season unfolds."
    I guess we better hope Howard remains the starter and/or never gets injured this year. If Smith gets 31% of the snaps or more...hello $12M cap hit next year.

Am I misreading that?

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    So instead of a mea culpa and a serving of crow for crying about how the jets are paying Smith too much, you make a bigger ass of yourself?

I'll eat crow. I did post on the other thread that I'll take back what I said if it turns out that we didn't take on an extra cap hit.

We traded our POS for their POS. At least it didn't cost us extra money

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    So instead of a mea culpa and a serving of crow for crying about how the jets are paying Smith too much, you make a bigger ass of yourself?

+1 Can't understand these SOJF's

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm very pleased to hear about the Rams eating some of Smith's salary. Unfortunately, all indications are Smith is mentally fragile and has lost his aggressiveness due to his many concussions - not a good thing for an OL. I'd be very surprised if Tanny was not still looking for someone else to bring in.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NYJ0815 View Post
    LOL, Florio is such a clown. The moral is to wait til the facts are in before shooting your mouth off.
    Dick Cimini did the same thing, saying how its bad cap management to pay a backup 4 million and that it could cause drama in the locker room because Slauson was asked to take a pay cut last month and he's a starter. They just can't help themselves, its like having tourette's syndrome but instead of cursing, they yell Jets criticism.

All League
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NYJ0815 View Post
    LOL, Florio is such a clown. The moral is to wait til the facts are in before shooting your mouth off.
    There is no "moral" to this story because there will be no repercussion for guys like Florio who ran their mouth before having all the facts.

Zero accountability in the world of sports journalism.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Apparently, Smith is supposed to make 12 million next year, however, it can be voided if he plays less than 31% of the snaps. Any chance that this is why he lost his starting position in St. Louis?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    I guess we better hope Howard remains the starter and/or never gets injured this year. If Smith gets 31% of the snaps or more...hello $12M cap hit next year.

Am I misreading that?
    They'll just cut him, right?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post

Am I misreading that?
    It's not guaranteed. It just is $12M. Jason Smith is a one year player. If he does well and plays more than 31% of snaps. The Jets may try to work out a longer term deal, but if he's not good but plays more than 31% of snaps, the Jets will cut him and not get hit by the cap at all.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Only Jets fans, all that moaning about 1.5 million from the same crowd that complains about Tanny not being a football GM and just a numbers man and then silence when the numbers man does his thing , just amazing!!!!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Crable View Post
    I'm laughing at all of you who said the Jets were taking a $1.55 million cap hit.
    Why? Those were the facts at the time....

Now, if you want to talk about people ripping Tanny and not backtracking today then fine. Buy "laughing" at people for commenting on parameters of a trade that were considered fact at the time, is ridiculous.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by First DOWN! View Post
    So the Rams paid the Jets to take Smith off their hands? We might be entering a new level of suck for a RT.
    There are 31 other teams you can cheer for....just so you know.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post
    It's not guaranteed. It just is $12M. Jason Smith is a one year player. If he does well and plays more than 31% of snaps. The Jets may try to work out a longer term deal, but if he's not good but plays more than 31% of snaps, the Jets will cut him and not get hit by the cap at all.
    Also, if he does reach the 31% milestone, the contract actually voids and we could receive draft pick compensation if he signs with another team.

Now that the money is equal....there is no doubt this is a better deal for us and Tanny did a great job.

Money is equal, contract ramificaitons are equat and there is NO possible way smith is worse then hunter, done and done.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post

Now, if you want to talk about people ripping Tanny and not backtracking today then fine. Buy "laughing" at people for commenting on parameters of a trade that were considered fact at the time, is ridiculous.
    There were no facts when the trade news first came out, it was all inside scoop by the media, neither team announced anything until last night, that is the problem. There are too many fans that fly off the handle with their knee jerk reactions and blasting the team before the facts and full details come out.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    There were no facts when the trade news first came out, it was all inside scoop by the media, neither team announced anything until last night, that is the problem. There are too many fans that fly off the handle with their knee jerk reactions and blasting the team before the facts and full details come out.
    Sadly in this age of tweets as news, the fans have to go on what the reporters say. The trade was "announced" about 9pm on mon night so by 9am Monday morning, there was enough time to "react" saying we took on additional salary....I dont think that is a rush to judgement by the fans.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post

+1

Pretty much. It's like if all of a sudden tomorrow we find out that we also gave up a 2nd round pick for Smith. Then what?

You can only comment on the facts at the time.

Kind of like, the fact that our offense looks absolutely putrid, but you got clowns on here trying to tell me we're gonna be a playoff team.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post
    i guess the 'worst case' in the deal is if howard gets hurt or sux like hunter so they play smith most of the year, but then smith leaves after the season and the jets have once again no RT prospects. but unlike last offseason the jets would have more money to allocate to a FA RT, since they did address numerous holes this draft/offseason, and also they'd likely take a tackle in the first 2 rounds of the draft.

truth, the most likely scenario is that after the season they sign a competent FA RT to at least compete with howard, and then the draft one early on. the potential 'monkeywrench' in the whole thing is that if sanchez implodes this season, they may have to get another qb early on, but that still wouldn't diminish the need for a new Rt.