Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Republican Convention

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    Which means what to an average voter, policy wise?

I am sure she's a wonderful, exceptionally rich, woman. If she were running, I'd be interested to know what she thinks of policies X, Y and Z.

But her being honest, warm and smart means what to me if I'm picking a President? Alot of folks thinsk Michelle Obama is the greatest female whose ever lived....to which my only reply is "so"?
    Agreed, but realistically, in politics, when measuring the effectiveness of a speech, those things are huge factors. You know that.

Romney obvious struggles with the general public in "likability" or "the human factor", and sadly does have to address this "woman hater" garbage. I thought his wife did exactly what was needed in order to start chipping away at that stuff. She injected some personality, some insight into their personal lives, and connected well with wives and mothers.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    hey - anyone hear from Crazy Joe Biden? Did he parachute into Tampa yet?

I read he's giving a "Ich binein Tampon" speech outside the convention.

Vice Pres of the US!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chiefst2000 View Post
    I have mixed feelings about his speech personally. The speech itself was great. Pointing out the Respect vs Love argument was nice. My issue with the speeches in general was that they seemingly went out of their way not to go after Obama. I don't agree with that as a political strategy. I was hoping to see Christie list the failures of the Obama Administration and he simply didn't do that.

It goes without saying that Ann Romney was fantastic. Anyone that was watching would agree that she did a great job.
    I'd say the opposite. The folks on the fence in this election aren't on the fence because they like both candidates or have no opinion of either and therefore can't decide who to vote (in which case attacking Obama would have some theoretical impact, by making him less favorable in the minds of those voters and therefore winning votes for Romney).

The ones on the fence this cycle are the ones who are unhappy with Obama but are unsure that a Romney administration would be any better. And some Obama voters are convinced (thanks to the negative advertising to date) that a Romney administration would be worse. That's the only way to explain the disconnect between the Obama approval rating and Romney's polling. To win those swing voters, attacking Obama serves no useful purpose. They already know they don't like his policies (even if they kind of like him as a person). But they need to hear a case for why Romney (and (R) generally) would be better.

Really glad the speeches focused on Romney's positives and the things that would be done under a (R) administration, rather than simply on attacking the President.

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by YellowSubmarine View Post
    The RNC is dry.....dry like toast.

Ann Romney is so fake as to say she knows how hard women have it in this economy. She never worked.....

Rick Santorum needs to be ordained if he keeps talking about his journey raising a child with special needs. He acvts like he is the only person with a relative with a disability. I'm sure he's a great dad, and so called "ObamaCare", will help Rick when his daughter needs medical help.

Chris Christie needs to get over being elected in a heavily democratic state. California did it with Arnold.....and see how well that turned out?

John Boehner and his family bar stories.....needs to go run that bar again. At least in the bar, he will appear to be working....

Obama / Biden 2012
    You are a bright guy.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by doggin94it View Post
    I'd say the opposite. The folks on the fence in this election aren't on the fence because they like both candidates or have no opinion of either and therefore can't decide who to vote (in which case attacking Obama would have some theoretical impact, by making him less favorable in the minds of those voters and therefore winning votes for Romney).

The ones on the fence this cycle are the ones who are unhappy with Obama but are unsure that a Romney administration would be any better. And some Obama voters are convinced (thanks to the negative advertising to date) that a Romney administration would be worse. That's the only way to explain the disconnect between the Obama approval rating and Romney's polling. To win those swing voters, attacking Obama serves no useful purpose. They already know they don't like his policies (even if they kind of like him as a person). But they need to hear a case for why Romney (and (R) generally) would be better.

Really glad the speeches focused on Romney's positives and the things that would be done under a (R) administration, rather than simply on attacking the President.
    Exactly. Making Obama look bad doesn't help swing voters that already understand that. That's the one reason I think Ann Romney's speech probably benefitted Mitt's campaign more than any of the others.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by doggin94it View Post

Clearly the GOP brain trust agrees with your assessment. I'm not sure I totally agree though. I would have liked to see Obama's policy failures listed one by one in a methodical way. I'm a carnivore though and loves me some red meat (as long as its kosher).

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    We need to get rid of the Republicans, we just don't need them in this country anymore, and they are so outdated, racist, bigoted, it's just pathetic

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    We need to get rid of the Republicans, we just don't need them in this country anymore, and they are so outdated, racist, bigoted, it's just pathetic
    <sigh>

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DeanPatsFan View Post
    I noticed this last night and it was not a coincidence. I guess they didn't want to show Artur Davis since HE GETS IT now. Black Republicans are the Dems worst nightmare. Especially black female Republicans such as Mia Love who also gave a great speech. They show that it is OK to be a minority and be a Republican.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    I noticed this last night and it was not a coincidence. I guess they didn't want to show Artur Davis since HE GETS IT now.
    I guess FOX is also in the bag for Libs huh:

Quote Originally Posted by JetPotato View Post
    In case you missed it, Fox's coverage (which aired on Fox Business), also cut out for commentary in the middle of Davis' speech.

Just sayin'

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    How old are you?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by isired View Post
    How old are you?
    Same age as bman and about 5 other handles I've long forgotten. In fact, YS was his "out" handle much like Dickie's out pitch is a slider.

- - - - - -

I haven't seen a single second of the convention, but I'm reading Christie was a flop? And that Ann Romney killed? Is this true?

I am wondering if Christie was too focused on himself because I read he didn't mention Romney's name until 17 minutes in. I'm guessing while it did no harm, it won't be much remembered.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Who's gonna pay the tax?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    The RNC is dry.....dry like toast.

Ann Romney is so fake as to say she knows how hard women have it in this economy. She never worked.....

Rick Santorum needs to be ordained if he keeps talking about his journey raising a child with special needs. He acvts like he is the only person with a relative with a disability. I'm sure he's a great dad, and so called "ObamaCare", will help Rick when his daughter needs medical help.

Chris Christie needs to get over being elected in a heavily democratic state. California did it with Arnold.....and see how well that turned out?

John Boehner and his family bar stories.....needs to go run that bar again. At least in the bar, he will appear to be working....

Obama / Biden 2012
    OOOH, I agree!!! I can't wait for Mechelle!!! now there is a genuine working woman!!!! I DOOO hope she wears her $600.00 ghetto sneakers, the ones she wore to the homeless shelter photo op!!!
    Their on sale now!!! pick yourself up a pair Yellow, follow the link below.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...9QEwAQ&dur=917

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Unfortunately it's people like you who make political discussion unbearable. Stupidity and arrogance know no party lines.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PlumberKhan View Post
    I guess FOX is also in the bag for Libs huh:

I watched his speech on FOX. They barely cut out. They cut out on a lot of speeches for a minute or two. However, on MSNBC it was as if he wasn't even part of the convention. They made ZERO mention of it. It was a conscious decision to eliminate minority RNC speakers. How do I know? Because I make sure to flip back and forth between FOX and MSNBC to see how they are covering it. I get a kick out of seeing how the liberal mind reacts. Basically MSNBC was defending the gov't the entire night.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    lol, I remember you now, weren't you banned?

btw, nothing brings the hate quite like your post above

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    There's that liberal tolerance I've heard so much about!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    What we need to do is get rid of the entitlement society. You know the Democrats and the useless who live off the working people. If you want something get a job. Life is not free wake up! Just look at Greece and Spain and others who have been crushed by the entitlement society. Obama never worked a day in his entire life he just knows how to spend other peoples money. Back to Chicago Obama there is a job somewhere for you.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by brady's a catcher View Post
    There's that liberal tolerance I've heard so much about!
    You repubs here incessantly bash Obama, which is your right. You watch Fox news, repeat everyone of their talking points, and discount any news outlet that dissents from what you've been programmed to believe. Again, your right to believe whatever you want. I have yet to hear from your posts what it is about Romney, not the republican party, why you'd vote for him. I've watched Romney in the debates, interviews, ads, read up on him and he is simply a compulsive liar, as is Ryan (I watched his RNC acceptance speech and what's notable is the brazen lies he tells, and he knows he's lying and he knows we know he's lying). Anyway, still interested in what it is about Romney that you feel he would be a good president. I read the article below today and still don't get how anyone can trust him.

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics...829?print=true