Thread: RT Comparison vs. Carolina

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

RT Comparison vs. Carolina

Was looking for some Dolphins notes to see if they are really down on Fasano and I found this (source bleacehrreport)

Jonathon Martin couldn't have played worse against the Panthers two weeks ago. He surrendered three sacks, committed a pair of penalties and looked like a backup-caliber player at best.

I think this is telling because it is a direct comparison of who Howard went against and how much better he fared then one of the lineman we "passed on when the FO failed to address the position."

Has RT turned into a circus for us, YES. But that doesnt mean the FO has no clue...maybe they just didnt feel anyone was talented enough to go after, is that at all possible?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure if you forgot to mention it, Martin was Miami's 2nd round pick, and has been targeted a lot for his poor play on Hardknocks.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    on a related note, I watched St. Louis against the 'boys last night on NFLN and Jason Smith, while he was no world-beater, did a lot better than Hunter in pass protection and looks pretty similar in run-blocking. For the same cash, he definitely looks like an upgrade.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not sure we should be benchmarking ourselves against the Miami Dolphins.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetPotato View Post
    I'm not sure we should be benchmarking ourselves against the Miami Dolphins.
    We arent.

The point is the people saying we should have done more with the position have VERY FEW actualy answers that would be better then where we are at this particular moment.

Would using a second round pick on mike adams or martin be better then having howard AND stephen hill?

We cant draft 5 players in the first 2 rounds, and we cant afford every FA....Tanny is not doing a bad job here and frankly Howard seems to be able to handle the load here. Lets find a TE after Fridays cuts and see how we look then.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by freestater View Post
    on a related note, I watched St. Louis against the 'boys last night on NFLN and Jason Smith, while he was no world-beater, did a lot better than Hunter in pass protection and looks pretty similar in run-blocking. For the same cash, he definitely looks like an upgrade.
    Of course he did better than Hunter. Hunter is broken and he needed to get off the team. This was a wise move, and also a merciful one. The amount of heat that Hunter took (and it was warranted) made it impossible for him to remain on the team.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    We cant draft 5 players in the first 2 rounds, a
    You can if you are the Patriots...they always seem to have five picks in the first two rounds, and then they trade them to do it the following year, and then they trade them to do it again the following year and add multiple 6th and 7th round picks.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by freestater View Post
    I meant to watch that. Did he play with the 1's? Any more details with regard to sacks allowed, QB pressures, etc...?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaSteve View Post
    You can if you are the Patriots...they always seem to have five picks in the first two rounds, and then they trade them to do it the following year, and then they trade them to do it again the following year and add multiple 6th and 7th round picks.
    Its because they keep trading 4th round picks for 2nd round pick next years. Then trade their 3rd this year for a third 3rd next year and a 4rth. Its crazy how BB still finds trade partners.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardTodd27 View Post
    I meant to watch that. Did he play with the 1's? Any more details with regard to sacks allowed, QB pressures, etc...?
    No. He played with the 2s. ...and no, I didn't take notes. He did manage to stay on his blocks and had better technique keeping in front of his man. As opposed to Hunter's best move, which was falling down in front of his assigned guy and hoping the dude tripped over him.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Never liked Adams or Martin. I did think Adams was a good pick for Pittsburgh since Mike Tomlin could get in his face every day to motivate him. But even so Adams is struggling.

Osemele is the only guy that I would have considered in the 2nd round for the Jets. However he had some of the same questions people had about Ducasse - would he be a better fit at OG. So there was some risk. But according to reports Osemele is a stud OL now for Baltimore.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Martin always had that risk of being a lazy bum. Happy with Howard but we still need competent depth at OL and blocking TE