Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mehta: Coples backtracks on complaints over playing time

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

Mehta: Coples backtracks on complaints over playing time

Two days after Rex Ryan said rookie Quinton Coples had a “woe-is-me” attitude for remaining in Sunday’s game after the other starters were subbed out, the defensive end said that wasn’t how he felt and had anticipated playing the whole game.

“Maybe that’s what it came off as, intensity-wise or whatever,” Coples said. “I never expected to come out.”

“It was one of those situations where it may have looked bad, but at the end of the day, it wasn’t,” the rookie added.

Coples admitted to getting “a little winded” after chasing down running backs and then getting back to the huddle. “It’s just definitely something I need to work hard (at so) it doesn’t come off as I’m tired,” he said.

“I saw him kind of get that puppy dog look,” Ryan said about Coples on Sunday. “The puppy dog barks a lot (too). . . . He’s got some bite to him. He’s gotten three sacks . . . every (preseason) game he’s had a sack.”

After the Jets’ first preseason game at Cincinnati, defensive coordinator Mike Pettine joked that he wanted to put Coples’ game jersey in his practice locker. Becoming a better practice player is something the rookie said he’s working on.

“Practice is big around here,” Coples said. “It’s something very big to the coaches.”

SAFETY FIRST

Ryan said he expects wide receivers Santonio Holmes (ribs), Jeremy Kerley (hamstring) and Chaz Schilens (ankle) to all be ready for the opener against Buffalo. Holmes and Kerley played against Carolina; Schilens has been out since the Jets’ preseason opener against Cincinnati. S Eric Smith (knee, hip) has the most worrisome injury to Ryan, and it appears Smith’s chances to play Week 1 could be in doubt. Though he did not specifically discuss return dates for the other injured players, Ryan suggested that TE Dustin Keller (hamstring), DT Sione Po’uha (back) and DT Mike DeVito (calf) should be back for the game against the Bills. He noted that D’Brickashaw Ferguson had a lower back issue during the Panthers game but it does not seem serious.

NICK THE KICK

Ryan congratulated Nick Folk on beating out Josh Brown in the kicker competition. The coach said he thought the fair thing to do was to let Brown go now (he was released on Monday) to give him time to find another team.

With FB/TE Josh Baker tearing his ACL, Keller battling a hamstring injury and Jeff Cumberland trying to overcome a concussion, Ryan intimated that the Jets may look for another tight end. “If there’s a player out there that we think can help our team, we will definitely consider (him),” Ryan said. The Redskins cut TE Chris Cooley on Tuesday but is not expected to become a Jet, according to sources. . . . The Jets were awarded punter Spencer Lanning of waivers from the Browns.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...icle-1.1146772

Thankfully practice (we talkin' about practice man..Practice..not a game..not a game..we talkin bout practice man) is big in Florham Park..
    Last edited by C Mart; 08-29-2012 at 09:31 AM.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Reporters making issue out of non-issue.

Mehta, please report on something that affects the field. The player and coaches are past this, why can't you be?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Redskins cut TE Chris Cooley on Tuesday but is not expected to become a Jet, according to sources
    If he's healthy, then why the **** not?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post

Mehta, please report on something that affects the field. The player and coaches are past this, why can't you be?
    I have no problem giving the kid a chance to redeem himself publicly since he was bashed pretty good after the game despite playing well.

Would hate to see this fester and this kid get labled a malcontent when it sounds like a maturity issue that he seems to be handling well-after the fact.

I'd say its a non-issue...now.

-

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    F*cking Mehta again. Ryan never said Coples complained, just that he had a "puppy dog look." Ryan was just trying to motivate the guy IMHO. I never read this jerk unless it's posted here and I think I'm going to quit doing that as well.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 10PennyToColes87 View Post
    If he's healthy, then why the **** not?
    They cut him because he wanted a shot at starting, and they are going with Fred Davis. He would have no shot at starting ahead of Keller on the Jets, so he will have no interest in being here. Word is, if he can't find a starting spot somewhere, he will resign with Washington to be their backup.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsNeedNewton View Post
    F*cking Mehta again. Ryan never said Coples complained, just that he had a "puppy dog look." Ryan was just trying to motivate the guy IMHO. I never read this jerk unless it's posted here and I think I'm going to quit doing that as well.
    This is why Rex needs to STFU and stop feeding these clowns.

Rex' comments were done for motivation? Okay. Maybe so. So did it motivate Coples? Let's see. His response was to deny that he felt the way that Rex was describing.

Bottom line. All those comments seemed to accomplish was to give shark food to the media.

There are other, more direct ways, to motivate your players. Rex can't motivate his own players? He needs to use the media to do so?

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    I have no problem giving the kid a chance to redeem himself publicly since he was bashed pretty good after the game despite playing well.

Would hate to see this fester and this kid get labled a malcontent when it sounds like a maturity issue that he seems to be handling well-after the fact.

I'd say its a non-issue...now.

-
    Insightful.

Wasn't expecting that from you.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by doggin94it View Post
    They cut him because he wanted a shot at starting, and they are going with Fred Davis. He would have no shot at starting ahead of Keller on the Jets, so he will have no interest in being here. Word is, if he can't find a starting spot somewhere, he will resign with Washington to be their backup.
    This wouldn't happen, but I could definitely go for a cut Conner and have Cooley as the FB/TE/H-Back role

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsNeedNewton View Post
    +1

The guy sucks. Used to love him before his anonymous source crap. Stopped following him on Twitter about two weeks ago for his incessant Tebow slobbering. Maybe it's the Daily News's fault, but the point remains that his quality has gone out the window.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post

Why the hell does Rex bring it up in a press conference? Don't blame the media for following up. your anger is misplaced.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Who cares really?
    Coples is out there the entire game cause Rex needs him to be ready to go 4 quarters.
    So, he made a face & Rex called him on it, good!
    Nothing Parcells or Belichick would have done any differently.
    He's getting paid a lot of money to play for the Jets, Rex says jump, you jump.
    Gonna teach em early whose boss.
    I'm liking the new Rex!

Got on Kerley too! These moves are classic Parcells motivation skills. Push em & then tell them it's because u care & want the best from them.
    Better than telling them they're all the greatest.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe this is me, but doesn't Coples ALWAYS have that sad look? To me, he always looks like today is the worst day of his life. That said, he always goes out and BALLS.

Quinton Coples, Ball So Hard University.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mehta has taken a turn for the worse since joining the News, but as mentioned, he can't be criticized here for allowing Coples to respond.

Rex's comments seemed odd in the pressure. It became a story because Rex made it a story.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    Maybe this is me, but doesn't Coples ALWAYS have that sad look? To me, he always looks like today is the worst day of his life. That said, he always goes out and BALLS.

I see the same thing lol. That could be construed as lack of intensity. Talk about a sleeping giant, I wouldn't want to see this guy when he's pissed..

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post

2011 called...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JETFAN1 View Post
    I see the same thing lol. That could be construed as lack of intensity. Talk about a sleeping giant, I wouldn't want to see this guy when he's pissed..
    I think what it is is that he's focused, you know? He's doing his job and taking it seriously. And the results of that are great. In 3 games he's had a few sacks, 2 forced fumbles, and near constant pressure on the pocket.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 10PennyToColes87 View Post
    2011 called...
    School pride never gets old, son. Don't be a fictional hater of the reality-based QC.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Coples seems to say all the right things. Rex was a little annoyed because Coples was winded. Coples admitted it, and said he needs to work on it.

Does anyone else think it's funny that we typically have players that are great when it doesn't count (Ratliff / Clowney come to mind), but stink when it does - and now we have Coples, who apparently doesn't look very good in practices, but looks great come game day?