Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: And the problem with the Jets offense is...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rmeyer52 View Post
    How many of you now have a different opinion of Schotty given our offensive struggles ? To me it's pretty obvious that he was indeed thrown under the bus and it will be interesting to see what happens if the Jets offense continues to struggle.

If you could list two things that are the root cause of this teams offensive struggles what would they be ?
    Thank goodness you're not a Schotty supporter What part of the statement above indicates that you aren't?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Very well said

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    To me it's pretty obvious that he was indeed thrown under the bus
    ... will your opinion change if the st. louis O struggles this year? ... or will you make up some excuse ...

l_j_r

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Snell41 View Post
    Look, Schotty may not have had it great with personnel but make no mistake the guy was to blame at least as much as every other reason, likely more. I have never seen an OC call more plays that are directly the opposite of what should be strategically called at the moment. I can recall countless incidents.

There was a game last season where we ran the ball 4 or 5 times in a row with a ton of success. Schotty dials up a pass play, not a problem in my book because the defense was now creeping up and playing close to the line to stop the run. This was a perfect time to go deep on them. What does Schotty call? A screen. You're conceding the fact that the defense is likely adjusting to the run after being gashed 5 times in a row by calling a pass play, but then call the one pass play that will likely get snuffed out by a defense playing up close to the line. Result was a loss of 4-6 yards.

Last season and actually a few times against BAL the BAL defense was blitzing with reckless abandon. CB's were playing close press defense. Ironically this is probably the best time to call a screen that was called in the previous scenario, so what does Schotty call? A no look quick screen out to the WR where Mark is passing blind to the WR while the CB is already up in press coverage. Result? Pick 6 both times that I can recall.

Last season against BUF I believe. We were backed up against our own End Zone. We come to the line in a Jumbo package with Holmes as the single receiver. LT was in the backfield and stayed back to block once the play began. Holmes ended up as the only receiver going out for the pass on the play. By the time Mark took the snap his feet were in the EZ and the blitz was heavy. Think about that, schotty dialed up a play, knowing Mark would be in the EZ at risk for a safety, that gave him one, ONE receiving option. So the only choice Mark had was take a Safety or force the pass to Holmes. He forced the pass to Holmes for a pick 6. Mark should have taken the safety, but that play was absolutely the worst call an OC can make.

Let's also not forget his "too tricky for you" offensive strategy to fool the defense by having a useless FB run out of formation into 5 wide sets, basically making himself useless in the play, except for that awesome fool the defense move of frantically flailing his arms just before the snap as if that will fool the D.

Let's also not forget how he pretty much forced every QB to take the clock down to 1 everytime so the D could pretty much pin their ears back and time the snap.

Let's not forget his awesome strategy of tricking the Giants by throwing 59 or so times into one of the best pass defenses in the league.

You have an agenda to bash Sanchez at every turn, I get it. Alot of it is deserved, Sanchez needs to improve. But to actually call Schotty a scapegoat only proves that your agenda is completely devoid of factual analysis or reality.
    that play vs Buf- if Sanchez takes the safety, we would of had to give up 2 points and kick to them for a short field-LOSE/LOSE BAD PLAYCALL
    the play vs Bal- a play action bubble screen to Tone on the outside? the playaction draws the defense up..so...why even design a playaction...BUBBLE SCREEN?-LOSE/LOSE BAD PLAY DESIGN

These are just a couple examples of how BAD schotty is at what he gets paid to do. Any Schotty defender clearly doesn't have a clue

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Day in day out this Chowd starts these threads

and some of you respond, only fueling another idiotic thread the next day

This dude really needs to go

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    F*uck Schotty. Forget all the other BS about excuses for not scoring TDs...in the 1 PRESEASON game we had with Tone, Hill, and a real OL, we already showed how much better we were without Schotty.

First two O plays against Carolina, mark completed two passes over 20 yards. A Schotty hasn't dialed up two plays like that since daddy won the last playoff game in Cleveland 23 years ago.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    With the improved OL play last game Sanchez looked very good. He hit one guy after another right in the numbers. As his receivers get into the season some of those drops will disappear. Lots of practices have been missed by this group so it's not surprising the QB / WR timing is a bit off. But overall they looked fine. The key was Sanchez not having to run for his life every play because Hunter missed a block.

Also the wildcat should bring some diversity to the offense which will help us as well.

I'm not bothered by our offense at this point. We're not the Saints but we don't have to be with our ferocious defense.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Crable View Post
    29th against the pass
    They were NOT playing like that by the time we faced them and they definitely had one of the best pass rushing defenses in the league. There was nothing that said throwing 59 times against them was the way to go no matter who your QB was.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenSpleen View Post
    1. Sanchez

2. Sanchez
    there's a reason why Coordinators make 500k or 1 mil if they are great while Qb's make 10x that.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    According to the Shotty haters its vanilla and preseason.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by suprjet View Post
    Lack of offensive skill position players, period. We are weak at WR, RB and TE. If we had explosive WRs we could have dumped Holmes or at least moved him to the slot where he belongs. As it stands he is our #1 and that's lame.
    I don't understand how Holmes doesn't get more flack. He is nothing more than a 3rd WR, he's a mario manningham, a Steve Smith, a Collie. He's NOT even close to being a #1 WR. Holmes and his horrible contract are what is holding this offense back.

The fact that he really considers himself a #1 target, and wants balls thrown his way all the time is ridiculous. I can't wait until we dump this trash.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is ridiculous!
    Shoddy got 6 years & Sparano gets 3 preseason games with his top 3 wideouts not playing & someones making comparisons.

BRILLIANT!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Funaz View Post
    I don't understand how Holmes doesn't get more flack. He is nothing more than a 3rd WR, he's a mario manningham, a Steve Smith, a Collie. He's NOT even close to being a #1 WR. Holmes and his horrible contract are what is holding this offense back.

The fact that he really considers himself a #1 target, and wants balls thrown his way all the time is ridiculous. I can't wait until we dump this trash.
    Holmes is gonna have a huge year, book it. Hill just being on the field will stretch the D, you gotta respect 4.3 speed, specially when the guy in is 6-4.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetster View Post
    Holmes is gonna have a huge year, book it. Hill just being on the field will stretch the D, you gotta respect 4.3 speed, specially when the guy in is 6-4.
    Hill currently runs like he's got 5.3 speed. he's not going to be an impact palyer this year. Holmes will not have a huge year because he's not an explosive playmaking reciever.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    How many of you now have a different opinion of Schotty given our offensive struggles ? To me it's pretty obvious that he was indeed thrown under the bus and it will be interesting to see what happens if the Jets offense continues to struggle.

If you could list two things that are the root cause of this teams offensive struggles what would they be ?
    Ummmmm I hear you and I strongly disagree!!!

Why pray tell did Schotty have Sanchez drop back almost 70 times against the Giants DL when that DL was one of if not the best defensive fronts in all of the football last year.

It was stupid and emblematic of the fact that while Schotty knows football he lacks a feel for the game.

I said it before and I wil say it again I believe Schooty was an inadequate OC but will probably make an excellent HC!!! So I am hardly a Schotty basher...

But defending Schotty; COME ON NOW!!!

Good Grief

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Remember when he threw it 40+ times in a monsoon?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Funaz View Post

he is not a #3. he is a low end #1 and with a good complimentary #2 can be successful

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    To me it is pretty obvious that we have exchanged a combination of a weak coordinator and weak personnel for a combination of weak personnel, a new offensive system and a coordinator for whom the jury is still out.

Just because the new system is new or the new guy might also be a bad OC does not mean the old guy got "thrown under the bus".

It also does not mean that Sanchez gets a free pass.

The OP was asking a reasonable enough question albeit in a somewhat slanted way and possibly with another agenda in mind. No, in terms of points on the board we are not a better offense at this point but we are two effing nanoseconds into this thing and hopefully we will no longer have a coordinator holding us back in addition to the other aspects of our offense that have yet to be fixed.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    last time we lost to Buffalo Oct 09'. 16-13 Schotty had a rookie Sanchez throw 29 times in the wind. Thomas Jones had 22 carries for 210 yds, Leon Washington had 15 carries for 99 yds. We didn't have to throw the ball at all!!!!
    WOW... How could anyone defend Schotty, or go as far as to say "he'd make a good HC" or even say "he knows football, just lacks a feel for the game"?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

I have not changed that opinion one iota. Even if this offense is bad or Sparano is bad, it doesn;t make Schotty good.

Now, you are also jumping to conclusions after 3 preseasn games under a brand new offense. The first 2 games had a RT that could not guard me. Last week the offense moved much better. It Hill holds onto a ball here and there and a couple of other things break right, they score. I understand we need more than that but I saw definite improvement.

you also have not seen ANY gameplanning so to compare how many full seasons of Schotty's awful playcalling and offense to 3 pre-season games without him here is, well, offensive.