Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stephen Hill vs Carolina

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Stephen Hill vs Carolina

He didn't play fast but he is breaking the jams well which was a concern for me. He looked robotic at times but that is to be expected at this stage. With that said he still had receptions not playing to his potential. Once this guy gets relaxed and balanced he could be something.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    i would say he is 2-3 years away from making a real impact. He basically has to learn to be a WR in a pro style offense.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsfanfromtheBURGH View Post
    i would say he is 2-3 years away from making a real impact. He basically has to learn to be a WR in a pro style offense.
    By next year IMO this guy should be a beast.. He already has a knack for getting open .. 1 full year of being in the fire out the gate will teach him and help him progress a lot out the gate..

I love the fact that we haven't baby him. He has had a ton of reps over Training camp and preseason it's only gonna make him better and better.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    ... def is a work in progress ... perhaps he can work into a dedric ward type of deep threat roll back when key & chrebet were our 1 & 2 ...

... need the hands to improve ...

l_j_r

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    His development may be fast because they are so thin at WR and he is going to get a lot more snaps than he otherwise might.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think he's still going to make an impact, even if he's not churning out a 1,000 yard season. That back shoulder adjustment catch he made for a big gainer was very nice. He's going to be able to get open pretty easily against a lot of cornerbacks.

Hopefully he learns and adapts to the fade pattern soon-- we may need that from him to improve red zone efficiency.

He should be able to get better YAC once he's more comfortable. All too often he's off balance when he makes the catch, and isn't able to create enough wiggle to get yards. With his speed and agility, he should be able to get a bit more YAC.

I like our WR coach, and I like that we're going to take more shots downfield. I hope we continue to air it out..because with protection, we can have a pretty decent air attack.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    He will contribute this year, even if it is just helping push the safeties back and making some 1-2 plays a game down the field.

One thing people mention a lot is his ability to get off the line vs press coverage. While I agree that can be an issue for a younger player, there is one big difference here. Hill is extremely fast for his size....they can play press coverage and probably disrupt him more times then not, but the downside to that from defensive perspective is that the couple times he does beat a jam, the CB will NOT be able to catch him. Either a safety will have to immediately help, leaving someone else open or hill will be wide open for a big play.

As we all know considering how much press coverage we play, it can yield big plays, and Hill is not someone I would want as a DC running free down the sideline....

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    It better not take him 3 years to develop. The way this team is put together, he needs to contribute today. He is the #2 WR on this team, he can not afford to put up 30 catches this year. The Jets need production from him now.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JamaicanJetFan View Post
    I think he's still going to make an impact, even if he's not churning out a 1,000 yard season. That back shoulder adjustment catch he made for a big gainer was very nice. He's going to be able to get open pretty easily against a lot of cornerbacks.

Hopefully he learns and adapts to the fade pattern soon-- we may need that from him to improve red zone efficiency.

He should be able to get better YAC once he's more comfortable. All too often he's off balance when he makes the catch, and isn't able to create enough wiggle to get yards. With his speed and agility, he should be able to get a bit more YAC.

I like our WR coach, and I like that we're going to take more shots downfield. I hope we continue to air it out..because with protection, we can have a pretty decent air attack.
    I think he will have an impact this year or next, but a "real" impact in like 2-3. If i were to try and predict, id say yardage wise....... 400-500 this year. 600- 800 next and then hopefully over 1000 in the 3rd.

just a thought. could be sooner...we all saw mike wallace burst on the scene.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    It better not take him 3 years to develop. The way this team is put together, he needs to contribute today. He is the #2 WR on this team, he can not afford to put up 30 catches this year. The Jets need production from him now.

I also thought he looked awkward after the catch, but I know he is just a kid. He will def get better.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hill is raw, so I'm liking all the reps he's getting. Guy needs em if he's gonna fulfill his potential.

I wanna see Mark target him more, too. I feel like he's gotten robbed by having to receive for Tebow.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think he will have an impact this year or next, but a "real" impact in like 2-3. If i were to try and predict, id say yardage wise....... 400-500 this year. 600- 800 next and then hopefully over 1000 in the 3rd.

just a thought. could be sooner...we all saw mike wallace burst on the scene.
    What's your defining criteria for impact vs real impact?

If Hill can blow the top off the defense even once a game, regardless of whether he catches the ball or not, he'll have a real impact on the running game and on the rolling coverage for Tone and Dustin.

Ad obviously if he catches it, well...

Edit: everyone's talking about how it'll take the great randy moss some time to learn the O and get his legs back for a full season, but that the one thing he can do is run past everyone down the sideline and catch the ball behind defenses.

I'd like to think that that extremely rare insight is not unique to just Randy.
    Last edited by greenwichjetfan; 08-29-2012 at 11:12 AM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by greenwichjetfan View Post
    What's your defining criteria for impact vs real impact?

If Hill can blow the top off the defense even once a game, regardless of whether he catches the ball or not, he'll have a real impact on the running game and on the rolling coverage for Tone and Dustin.

Ad obviously if he catches it, well...

Edit: everyone's talking about how it'll take the great randy moss some time to learn the O and get his legs back for a full season, but that the one thing he can do is run past everyone down the sideline and catch the ball behind defenses.

I'd like to think that that extremely rare insight is not unique to just Randy.
    Impact meaning yards and TD's. Im making a guess on this based on his time in college and being a rookie. Its purely a guess on what I think will happen. i wasnt including other factors like you mentioned about having an impact on the running game. However, you make a good point.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Best guess - 46 catches 625 yards 5 scores

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hill is a project. Physically, he's fine. But you can tell his mechanics are robotic right now. He doesnt quite look like a football player yet.

He certainly doesnt look like a 4.3 guy in pads either just yet.

If we dont sign anyone else, I'd guess Turner would be starting opposite to Holmes.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Impact meaning yards and TD's. Im making a guess on this based on his time in college and being a rookie. Its purely a guess on what I think will happen. i wasnt including other factors like you mentioned about having an impact on the running game. However, you make a good point.

You're looking at "impact" through the very narrow lens of "fantasy" impact.

Stephen Hill will have a very big impact on this offense: stretching the field deep, opening up holes for other receivers, and blocking for the run game. Stephen Hill will have an impact beyond the box score.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I actually felt a lot better about Hill after the Panthers game.

One thing that I believe we need to do with him is send him deep early in the game and chuck the ball in his direction. It will make it easier for him to run his routes when the corner is thinking about not getting beat over the top.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JB1089 View Post
    I actually felt a lot better about Hill after the Panthers game.

One thing that I believe we need to do with him is send him deep early in the game and chuck the ball in his direction. It will make it easier for him to run his routes when the corner is thinking about not getting beat over the top.
    Agreed. There definitely shoul dbe a couple plays a game where we just chuck the ball up to him. If its picked, oh well, its basically a punt.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoop24 View Post
    By next year IMO this guy should be a beast.. He already has a knack for getting open .. 1 full year of being in the fire out the gate will teach him and help him progress a lot out the gate..

I love the fact that we haven't baby him. He has had a ton of reps over Training camp and preseason it's only gonna make him better and better.
    Next year is being very optimistic. I agree with Scoops, 2-3 years before he has any major impact.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    he looked good at times...Jamacian is right once he gets the deer out of the headlights he'll be more compact with his rtes...just needs to get caught up speed wise to game...