Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Stephen Hill vs Carolina

He was up againts chris gamble vs carolina and he was wide open all night gamble for my money is a top 10 corner btw i dont see being open as a problem the other db was so far off him on the pass he tiped he was able to intercept it easy if he was within 2 yrds it would have been incomplete he just has to catch the damm ball and he will be very good they already respect his speed

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt39 View Post
    Hill is a project. Physically, he's fine. But you can tell his mechanics are robotic right now. He doesnt quite look like a football player yet.

He certainly doesnt look like a 4.3 guy in pads either just yet.

If we dont sign anyone else, I'd guess Turner would be starting opposite to Holmes.

And if this is the case then we can really see the state of our WR corp

Honestly would or could Turner be the potential #2 WR on any other team in the NFL!!!!

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post
    [/SIZE][/B]

And if this is the case then we can really see the state of our WR corp

Honestly would or could Turner be the potential #2 WR on any other team in the NFL!!!!
    Could holmes be a #1 on any other team? The answer is no, our WR core is not very good.

Being that he's starting from the get go.. He will make a sizable impact this year. I think he will surprise many people. I say he wont do much till week 6. When he feels comfortable he will turn it on and end up with a 900 yard 6 TD season.

The 5 catches Hill had on Sunday were the 2nd most he has ever had in a game, including his college career.

He could have caught the TD pass and the INT was a terrible play, but you can also say that he got open both times. Along with the 5 catches, that accounts for all 7 of his targets. 5/7 is a very good percentage for a receiver.

Being raw cuts both ways. He has a lot to learn, but he also doesn't have bad habits that are deeply ingrained.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Ryan View Post
    Being that he's starting from the get go.. He will make a sizable impact this year. I think he will surprise many people. I say he wont do much till week 6. When he feels comfortable he will turn it on and end up with a 900 yard 6 TD season.
    Woah there. That's about what Julio Jones put up last year. That may be setting the bar a little high for Hill, as Jones was at a far more advanced stage of his development coming out of college.

Quote Originally Posted by Funaz View Post
    Could holmes be a #1 on any other team? The answer is no, our WR core is not very good.
    He would be the number 1 on San Fran, who made the NFC Championship.

As well as the Rams, Miami, Raiders, Seahawks, Jaguars, Browns, and Chargers.

Those teams arent very good, and their WR corps arent great either, but lets give holmes a shot in this years offense before we start crushing him (talent not attitude, that is absolutely questionable). He was a SB MVP if everyone doesnt remember.

Quote Originally Posted by Funaz View Post
    in 2009 he had 79 catches for 1248 and 5tds. he is not the best #1, but can be good enough

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by JamaicanJetFan View Post
    You're looking at "impact" through the very narrow lens of "fantasy" impact.

Stephen Hill will have a very big impact on this offense: stretching the field deep, opening up holes for other receivers, and blocking for the run game. Stephen Hill will have an impact beyond the box score.
    I'm looking at impact that is measurable. I never once said that he wouldn't have an impact in other areas. I was specifically recognizing the areas that can be measured. If we want to go that step further, I will say I don't think he scares people enough to cause that much of an impact in other areas quite yet. I don't think he will command any double teams quite yet. like i said before, it's a guess on what I think will happen. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Right now he's trying to play too fast.
    Guy seems to get open, no problem, it's when he catches the ball he needs to collect himself instead of trying to run when his feet aren't even down yet.

He looked like Road Runner when all you see is circles when he takes off.
    Meep Meep

Quote Originally Posted by JETFAN1 View Post
    He didn't play fast but he is breaking the jams well which was a concern for me. He looked robotic at times but that is to be expected at this stage. With that said he still had receptions not playing to his potential. Once this guy gets relaxed and balanced he could be something.
    He will contribute this year...... he has breakaway speed, and once he gets his "hands" in sync, he'll be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt39 View Post
    Hill is a project. Physically, he's fine. But you can tell his mechanics are robotic right now. He doesnt quite look like a football player yet.

He certainly doesnt look like a 4.3 guy in pads either just yet.

If we dont sign anyone else, I'd guess Turner would be starting opposite to Holmes.
    Yes, he doesn't look fast. He doesn't look like a smooth athlete, either. I'm not sure why that is. Maybe he's playing tentatively right now.

Quote Originally Posted by detectivekimble View Post
    Yes, he doesn't look fast. He doesn't look like a smooth athlete, either. I'm not sure why that is. Maybe he's playing tentatively right now.
    Hill doesnt look fast? Curious what you are basing this on.....are you using the all 22 camera view to see how he is getting open or how long its taking him to get into his route?

Because if you are watching on TV like 99.9999% of the rest of earth, it seems like an uninformed comment, as he ran a sub 4.4 40.

Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    Hill doesnt look fast? Curious what you are basing this on.....are you using the all 22 camera view to see how he is getting open or how long its taking him to get into his route?

Because if you are watching on TV like 99.9999% of the rest of earth, it seems like an uninformed comment, as he ran a sub 4.4 40.
    He didn't look fast during the Carolina game. Who cares what he ran? There are plenty of guys who run good 40s who don't play fast. He looks pretty goofy out there to me.

Most big guys don't look fast. I never would have guessed that Julio Jones runs as fast as he does.

It's those long strides.

Quote Originally Posted by JB1089 View Post
    Most big guys don't look fast. I never would have guessed that Julio Jones runs as fast as he does.

It's those long strides.
    Could be. He still looks like a clumsy runner. Julio is a pretty smooth runner. So is Randy Moss, Braylon Edwards, etc.

Unfortunately for most Jets fans, they will have to learn patientce with Hill.
    He will drop some key passes and miss some blocks. He seemed a bit intimidated against the Panthers but worked out of it towards the end.

Give the kid time.

Quote Originally Posted by detectivekimble View Post
    He didn't look fast during the Carolina game. Who cares what he ran? There are plenty of guys who run good 40s who don't play fast. He looks pretty goofy out there to me.
    I care what he ran because, its drastically more important than what he "looks like" to you in the 1 second we see WRs on tv.

Sure some guy play slow in pads, but Hill was open all over the field against a good CB in Chris Gamble, and considering he is 6'4 he isnt going to look "quick" he is simply fast due to the amount of ground he can cover.

All League
    Realistically, this kid needs 4-8 regular season games before he will get accustomed to the NFL and begin to hit his stride.

In the meantime I EXPECT a couple drops a game. Hopefully none of them hurt us too much. But if the Jets are smart keeping throwing him the rock as long as he keeps getting open.

If he can get 3-4 catches per game for the first quarter or half of the year I'd say he will be right on track to finish the season strong.

Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    I care what he ran because, its drastically more important than what he "looks like" to you in the 1 second we see WRs on tv.

Sure some guy play slow in pads, but Hill was open all over the field against a good CB in Chris Gamble, and considering he is 6'4 he isnt going to look "quick" he is simply fast due to the amount of ground he can cover.
    I think the point he was trying to make was he looks more track fast than football fast. He did look a bit goofy out there....

Hell there's a video on the net of Usain Bolt who's faster than anyone in the league, trying to dunk a basketball and it looked incredibly awkward. A lot of these track freaks arent smooth athletes. Randy Moss was both.