Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jets players doing off site leadership training

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaSteve View Post
    VERY untrue. Leaders are made. Giving people the opportunity to be a leader, and then having them learn, through experience and guidance, builds a leader.

Unless you are Chuck Norris. He was born a leader. Actually, Chuck Norris has always existed...
    Agreed, leadership qualities can be drawn out of an individual. It also doesnt necessarily have to be "Rah-Rah" leadership....it can simply be accountability and showing how a team working together can be stronger then a group of "individuals"

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Leaders are born, not made.

Can't force these things. They have to happen naturally.
    You couldn't be more wrong about a subject if you tried

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MDL_JET View Post

Looks like Holmes is there.

"Santonio Holmes will miss the season opener with an unspecified 'trust' injury."

SAR I

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post

"Santonio Holmes will miss the season opener with an unspecified 'trust' injury."

SAR I
    I pictured the same thing when I heard about this. They tell Holmes to lay back and he's like, "Hell no!"

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

SAR I
    Your love for Holmes is almost as silly as your love for Leinart.

Quitting on your team does not make you a leader. Not exactly sure what kind of leaders you follow.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Leaders are born, not made.

Can't force these things. They have to happen naturally.
    My unit often had to attend these "seminars". Honestly, it's more of a "get it out in the open" session, and "how are we going to fix this" or "make sure we stay on the right path" than anything.

I agree that certain guys are leaders, and certain guys are not, but you lead by example, and these guys are trying.

These guys want to win. They're trying everything and anything to make this team a team, and not a bunch of individuals.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    My unit often had to attend these "seminars". Honestly, it's more of a "get it out in the open" session, and "how are we going to fix this" or "make sure we stay on the right path" than anything.

I agree that certain guys are leaders, and certain guys are not, but you lead by example, and these guys are trying.

These guys want to win. They're trying everything and anything to make this team a team, and not a bunch of individuals.
    Just like losing weight, this "offsite" is just Ryan family PR for his next gig as a defensive coordinator in the CFL.

He should just skip all the steps and take Herman Edwards job on ESPN.

SAR I

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just like losing weight, this "offsite" is just Ryan family PR for his next gig as a defensive coordinator in the CFL.

He should just skip all the steps and take Herman Edwards job on ESPN.

SAR I
    No, I believe they're trying everything to fix what went wrong last season, so they can shut up obnoxious, self centered, egotistical, attention whoring fans.

Do you know any like that?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    No, I believe they're trying everything to fix what went wrong last season, so they can shut up obnoxious, self centered, egotistical, attention whoring fans.

Do you know any like that?
    Yes.

You.

SAR I

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes.

You.

SAR I
    Wow. I'll accept that I call people out for acting like a$$clowns, but will you come up with a better comeback than that?

Try a little.

Honestly, I wonder how you act in person.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes.

You.

SAR I
    You're fully aware that John > You, right?

Don't be mad that John is too reality-based for your fictional self.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    You're fully aware that John > You, right?

Don't be mad that John is too reality-based for your fictional self.
    Thanks, pal.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gsulli5861 View Post
    Not uncommon in any business to sent their employees and manager's to a leadership conference. In fact, it's probably the norm. I applaud the Jet's for this move.

I'm not knocking what he did but irony is completely missed.

You send business people to these things because you want them to act more like a team. People can be isolated from each other in their little cubes.

Rex is sending a team to learn how to be a team.

He outsourced his job to the SEALS.

This is where the chuckles are coming from. Frankly, whatever works is fine but there is some irony in sending a team to team building class for a day when you've been trying to build the team for several weeks in camp.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CleatMarks View Post

You send business people to these things because you want them to act more like a team. People can be isolated from each other in their little cubes.

This is where the chuckles are coming from. Frankly, whatever works is fine but there is some irony in sending a team to team building class for a day when you've been trying to build the team for several weeks in camp.
    Precisely.

Everything Rex Ryan does is wrong and an embarrassment to himself, his team, his ownership, and the fans. Just when you think it can't get worse, boom, again.

Only a few months left, only a few months left......that's what I keep telling myself. Hang in there.

SAR I

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CleatMarks View Post

Cant it be "Send his team to act MORE like a team"?

If you have a finance degree from a college and then you go to grad school for finance, does that mean you suck at finance and need to re-learn how to do it or does it mean you want to get even better?

Any team can benefit from learning about the dedication and teamwork it takes to excel as a SEAL, especially considering how never ending their training is....something that the jets should definitely focus on.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Precisely.

Everything Rex Ryan does is wrong and an embarrassment to himself, his team, his ownership, and the fans. Just when you think it can't get worse, boom, again.

Only a few months left, only a few months left......that's what I keep telling myself. Hang in there.

SAR I
    Who defines what's wrong? Sending players to training is wrong?

Define what's right, Mr. super coach, GM, player, owner, fan.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Precisely.

SAR I
    Just like all of your posts.....they do nothing buy emabrass your lame A$$ even further.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    Just like all of your posts.....they do nothing buy emabrass your lame A$$ even further.
    I have to agree...

I guess it was wrong when Rex took us to the AFC CHampionship.

Mark it down here folks. When we hire Bill Cowher to replace Rex, SAR will be all cheers. The over/under to how many years he calls for Cowher's head: I say 3.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Who defines what's wrong? Sending players to training is wrong?

Define what's right, Mr. super coach, GM, player, owner, fan.
    "I think not going to Cortland really hurt us this year, we really needed those weeks to bond and become a strong team."

--Rex Ryan, April 2011

SAR I

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaSteve View Post
    I have to agree...

I guess it was wrong when Rex took us to the AFC CHampionship.
    Being passed over by the Ravens and losing 3 consecutive AFC Championship Games sure will look good on the Rex Ryan resume.

SAR I