Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Am I a RINO?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by SafetyBlitz View Post
    We're all essentially voting the lesser of two evils.
    Was it always this way for most people? I know I'll get hammered by many here for saying this, but I felt good about voting for Clinton. At the time, he more or less matched as many of my ideals as I think I can reasonably expect. I bought into Obama pretty late, but I bought in, so I guess I felt good about that too. Though I I was ripe for the picking, as I was dispirited at the Dems offering in 2004 vs. a guy that shouldn't have been able win... But otherwise, I've felt much the same way in the last 25+ years I've been voting.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by isired View Post
    Was it always this way for most people? I know I'll get hammered by many here for saying this, but I felt good about voting for Clinton. At the time, he more or less matched as many of my ideals as I think I can reasonably expect. I bought into Obama pretty late, but I bought in, so I guess I felt good about that too. Though I I was ripe for the picking, as I was dispirited at the Dems offering in 2004 vs. a guy that shouldn't have been able win... But otherwise, I've felt much the same way in the last 25+ years I've been voting.
    I voted Kerry out of the lesser of two evils. I voted Obama because the Bush years were my formative years, and looking back, I'm fairly certain my disdain for the GOP and their policies was born out of that administration.

I'll vote Obama again because I just fundamentally disagree with Romney/Ryan, not because I think Obama has lived up to his campaign.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by SafetyBlitz View Post
    I voted Kerry out of the lesser of two evils. I voted Obama because the Bush years were my formative years, and looking back, I'm fairly certain my disdain for the GOP and their policies was born out of that administration.

I'll vote Obama again because I just fundamentally disagree with Romney/Ryan, not because I think Obama has lived up to his campaign.
    Same here on Kerry - I swore I wasn't going to vote for president, but when it came down to it, in the booth, I did it.

Feel the same way about Obama. And that frustrates me, much in the same way I was frustrated that the D couldn't put up a better candidate in 04. How can that be? How can we not have 2 excellent candidates, or 3? Or 6? Even with differing ideals, at least people that you respect their smarts, respect that their positions are they're positions, for better or worse, and that they're not for sale, or loan, or simply convenient or necessary.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Same here on Kerry - I swore I wasn't going to vote for president, but when it came down to it, in the booth, I did it.

Feel the same way about Obama. And that frustrates me, much in the same way I was frustrated that the D couldn't put up a better candidate in 04. How can that be? How can we not have 2 excellent candidates, or 3? Or 6? Even with differing ideals, at least people that you respect their smarts, respect that their positions are they're positions, for better or worse, and that they're not for sale, or loan, or simply convenient or necessary.
    Unfortunately, in order to get into the position of being a viable candidate, you necessarily will become a watered down, compromised version of what you previously were. Enough people and organizations will have taken a piece of you to the point that you don't really have any firm principles anymore - they're pretty much fungible,depending in the way the wind is blowing.

It's not so much a D v. R thing, it's the way the two party system and campaign finance structure currently exists.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by doggin94it View Post
    You lie.

chocolate is brown.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    Unfortunately, in order to get into the position of being a viable candidate, you necessarily will become a watered down, compromised version of what you previously were. Enough people and organizations will have taken a piece of you to the point that you don't really have any firm principles anymore - they're pretty much fungible,depending in the way the wind is blowing.

It's not so much a D v. R thing, it's the way the two party system and campaign finance structure currently exists.
    I don't think that's true. How many here can honestly say that their beliefs match up perfectly with the party they usually vote for? I can't. It boils down to your most important issues and which party addresses them in the way you prefer. Otherwise, you'd end up never voting for anyone but yourself.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by doggin94it View Post
    You lie.

I love those damn cookies more than I can verbalize. A sweet and tasty reminder of the innocence of my youth, and the joy of a small town's local Bakery (sadly, somethign that doesn't really exist anymore).

Oh, and if I vote by closest alignment of views, I'd vote Libertarian every time. There is no party at this time that comes closer to unity with my own personal beliefs. Even then, there are clear differences, for example, I am strongly for regulated, enforced, legal immigration and a no-tolerence policy for illegals. The (L) party belives in....wait for it.....open borders, no immigration regaulation of any kind.
    Last edited by Warfish; 08-30-2012 at 10:39 AM.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by quantum View Post
    I don't think that's true. How many here can honestly say that their beliefs match up perfectly with the party they usually vote for? I can't. It boils down to your most important issues and which party addresses them in the way you prefer. Otherwise, you'd end up never voting for anyone but yourself.
    That's true, but many feel there's not even a "good" candidate, let alone perfect. And yeah, you're certainly not going to line up perfectly with something along the lines of a national party.

I have a question - in NYC, I find myself most closely aligned with the Working Families party. Probably 85% of the time, their candidate is also the Democratic nominee. I feel that voting for the candidate as a WP candidate instead of a D makes some kind of a statement, but I'm not sure. Does anyone who knows anything about these things have any idea if the candidates even look at it care about that?

Hall Of Fame
    That's true, but many feel there's not even a "good" candidate, let alone perfect. And yeah, you're certainly not going to line up perfectly with something along the lines of a national party.

I have a question - in NYC, I find myself most closely aligned with the Working Families party. Probably 85% of the time, their candidate is also the Democratic nominee. I feel that voting for the candidate as a WP candidate instead of a D makes some kind of a statement, but I'm not sure. Does anyone who knows anything about these things have any idea if the candidates even look at it care about that?
    Candidates? Not sure. But I remember when I voted for Ross Perot that parties that get a certain percentage of a vote get funding and a line on the ballot. So what you're doing by voting by line is good.

But the Working Families Party is a criminal enterprise. Stop voting for them.