Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NFL will start season with replacement officials

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

NFL will start season with replacement officials

This is gonna go over like a turd in a punchbowl:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ent-officials/

The NFL’s replacement officials aren’t going away any time soon.

The league confirmed today in a memo sent to all 32 teams that the regular season will open with replacement officials, as the lockout of the NFL Referees Association continues.

The NFL says it’s ready to negotiate with the locked-out officials, but they’re not close enough to reaching an agreement that it’s realistic to think the regular officials could be on the field when the season starts, one week from tonight.

This year’s preseason games have seen plenty of bad calls, and several players have questioned whether the officials are in over their heads. A bad call that costs a team a regular-season game would surely amplify the cries for the league to get a deal done with its officials, but the NFL has insisted that the replacements are capable of doing the job. We’re about to get at least 16 regular-season games for the replacements to show that the league office is right — or to show that the NFL is jeopardizing the integrity of the game by refusing to finalize a deal.

Maybe I should cancel that bet on the Bills game???

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you're not a top team this is good news.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    players are gonna get hurt. these replacement refs are just awful.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I wonder if this will affect the odds in Vegas.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think it will be interesting. These refs will see a whole different game and call a whole different game.

I hope they miss a lot of illegal hit calls, and we get a season that is a hard hitting, and dirty.

It would expose the level of collusion between Refs and Goodell to call a "clean and safe" game, and thereby forcing penalties where there are clean hits.

I think certain teams suffer because the Professional refs call too many penalties, and are able to affect the outcome of games.

I understand these new refs are indeed awful, but they will be a different kind of awful. And lets be honest, do you really care if Tom Brady loses his favorite refs?

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    i dont think these refs are any worse then what the nfl has had. they all make mistakes. the nfl needs to do what hockey does, all the reviews should be done in 1 central location.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsplumber View Post
    i dont think these refs are any worse then what the nfl has had. they all make mistakes. the nfl needs to do what hockey does, all the reviews should be done in 1 central location.
    Yeah they all make mistakes. But these replacements were missing clear as day calls, and forcing teams to waste their challenges when they shouldn't have to.

Like the Coples fumble on Newton. Or when one team fielded a punt at the 5 and it was called a touchback?? Cmonnn mann.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    This is totally wrong! These replacement offficials have never even done a Division 1 college game. Most of them are highschool or world league type officials. Rules are totally different, speed is totally different, etc..

This is going to be horrible and it's going to effect the outcome of some games.

I've watched a bunch of different games this preseason and they have missed and made some terrible calls that have changed drives.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Caught some of the Giants game, and oh boy! They couldn't figure a play out, both coaches on the field. First week is going to be brutal.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 2milehighJet View Post
    Caught some of the Giants game, and oh boy! They couldn't figure a play out, both coaches on the field. First week is going to be brutal.
    I'm more worried about the officials then I am about the Jets.

I was watching the Skins/Bucs game tonight and at one point a WR flopped, threw is hands up and the ref tossed the flag. It wasnt even close to interferance, the wr wasn't touched. The ref didnt want to make a mistake so he tossed the flag. Bucs coach was so pissed he called a T/O to argue with the official. You can read the officials lips and he admitted he got the call wrong. Coach was furious.

This is going to really change the games.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    These footlocker refs will play right into the hands of the regular refs.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    What a disaster! Owners are making their $. They don't give a %#^!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    OK as much as I said this wouldn't make much of a difference after watching preseason game I change my mind. This is horrible. They are missing calls a 12 year old can call. I was thinking ok a bad spot here less holding calls. When you start to see player taking helmets off during fights and no penalty is called. I just dont know what to say. A lot of just obvious stuff is being missed and it is becoming a joke. They are actually ruining the game sadly.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Roger Goodell is too busy worrying about putting a franchise in London and making football an olympic sport. He can't be bothered with silly stuff like getting a contract with the refs done.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    This is embarrassing and a major fail by Goodell, who has proven to be pompous and the worst commissioner to date.

And in the end, I agree with those who feel this shifts leverage to the on-strike refs because the opening weekend gaffs will be big and there will be plenty of them.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    A league with more money than they know what to do with gets cheap on the reffing, real smart. The real guys will be back in about a week though after a botch job costs a team a game.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    As Jets fans, poor officiating may be our only hope.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    People seem to be forgetting how awful and BIASED the regular officials are on a regular basis. Listen to Sirius NFL Radio on any Monday during the season and it is riddled with complaints on tons of missed and bad calls by the refs. Mike Perraira even had a Total Access segment each work to go over the bad calls

They are not that bad, and they have less bias which should be good. They do get confused on complicated rulings a little more often but most of the time make the right call. And they will get better each week.

People are seriously overreacting.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    +1000000 completely blown out of proportion. This player saftey nonsense has nothing to do with the Refs. If anything the NFL SHOULD get rid of the existing refs are start fresh.

The existing refs are awful, biased and have long standing relationships with coaches/teams/players. The NFL is right in taking a hard stance with them, and wanting more crews so that you can punish refs that make bad calls is a good thing.

I also agree like the NHL, all reviews should be done by a central office and no need for the ref on the field to re-look at it.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    A league with more money than they know what to do with gets cheap on the reffing, real smart. The real guys will be back in about a week though after a botch job costs a team a game.
    The regular refs cost teams games all the time. This is a non-issue.