Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will new look pass rush make Jets D great?

Will new look pass rush make Jets D great?

The Theory has always been that a great pass rush will cover up deficiences in the secondary ala the NY Giants.
    Everyone knows that we have probably the best CB duo in football with Cromarty & Revis.
    Cromarty looks to be playing like a man possessed this year with Rex & Pettine harping on him about being more physical.
    Revis, well he's Revis, recently voted "Best Defensive player in the NFL".

So, with the addition of Landry, who looks beastly, Bell who is much more physical then Smith or Leonard ever were. Allen & Bush to help out.
    A slimmed down Bart & Damario Davis to bring the speed, 3rd year Wilson & Lankster who has been playing very well it seems almost impossible for this 2012 Jet defense not to be top 3 in the league, right?

Rex is always respected as a great defensive mind, has never finished less than 10th in defense at anytime in his career it would make sense to say this D could be downright nasty right?

Mo, Ellis, Pouha, Coples, Maybin, Devito, Dixon, Richardson, Maybin, Thomas, Pace.
    Holy Chit! Pace alone will now benefit from these young studs up front alone.
    And Pace has ALWAYS been a slacker in preseason.
    I really do see what Bart Scott sees when u look at the potential of this defense. You get a pass rush, with those corners & Landry (he's already had 2 picks in limited playing time), this could be special!
    To bad we don't have the Packers or Pats offense to go along with it.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Great is a big word, used loosely.

All League
    Everyone looks good except Pace

I agree, this D has a chance to be a "Special" dominant defense.

The weakness has been poor safety play and an old, slow front 4. Those two weak spots have been addressed in a big way.

This is a bada$$ D. Jets won't need superpowered O just a sensible one utilising all the weapons. Can't wait to see Brady etc running for his life

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by jetster View Post
    The Theory has always been that a great pass rush will cover up deficiences in the secondary ala the NY Giants.
    Everyone knows that we have probably the best CB duo in football with Cromarty & Revis.
    Cromarty looks to be playing like a man possessed this year with Rex & Pettine harping on him about being more physical.

So, with the addition of Landry, who looks beastly, Bell who is much more physical then Smith or Leonard ever were. Allen & Bush to help out.
    A slimmed down Bart & Damario Davis to bring the speed, 3rd year Wilson & Lankster who has been playing very well it seems almost impossible for this 2012 Jet defense not to be top 3 in the league, right?

Rex is always respected as a great defensive mind, has never finished less than 10th in defense at anytime in his career it would make sense to say this D could be downright nasty right?

Mo, Ellis, Pouha, Coples, Maybin, Devito, Dixon, Richardson, Maybin, Thomas, Pace.
    I really do see what Bart Scott sees when u look at the potential of this defense. You get a pass rush, with those corners & Landry (he's already had 2 picks in limited playing time), this could be special!
    Cromarty? Even my spell check knows that's not right?

All Pro
    Our ILB is still a glaring weakness on passing downs. I hope Davis can have a immediate impact. Plus Pace and BT isn't scaring no one as pass rushers. Maybin needs to step up and Sapp needs to give the bike a rest if he is still here.

> top five 3 years in a row
    > not great

wat.

the pass rush this season is going to be a top 5 in sacks. i think coples will have 15 sacks this season. going to surprise the whole league.

All Pro
    We get a pass rush with the front 4, plus getting a push up the middle. Defense will be in the top 1 this year, and the offense will be pretty good by the end of the year. Haters gonna hate.

Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    We get a pass rush with the front 4, plus getting a push up the middle. Defense will be in the top 1 this year, and the offense will be pretty good by the end of the year. Haters gonna hate.
    No doubt. But, that's ok. These fictional haters are gonna be in awe when they can't score more than 14 points against us.

Of course everyone is worried about the injury bug hitting the defense. But barring that, I think this defense will be ranked number 1 at the end of the season. San Francisco is going to have a great defense also and they easily have as much personnel to be ranked number 1. However, I just think Rex is a slightly better defensive mind than most people in the league today. Therefore, I give the edge to the NYJ due to the coaching staff's ability to scheme slightly better than San Fran.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

... agree with the barring major injuries caveat ... but ...

... this D can truly become something special ...

... i am drooling at the thought of the wood landry is going to bring towards gronk over the middle all game long twice this season ... i probably have to give howard's performance at RT sun nite my favorite moment of tc/preseason ... but watching landry play is right there too ...

... loved what QC has shown so far ... and ellis earned himself some snaps even once pouha is back ...

l_j_r

Quote Originally Posted by lamont_jordan_rules View Post
    ... agree with the barring major injuries caveat ... but ...

... this D can truly become something special ...

... i am drooling at the thought of the wood landry is going to bring towards gronk over the middle all game long twice this season ... i probably have to give howard's performance at RT sun nite my favorite moment of tc/preseason ... but watching landry play is right there too ...

l_j_r

Gronk has a 6 inch and 45 pound advantage over Landry. I seriously doubt Landry will dominate that matchup "all game long twice per season". Landry best be careful or he'll end up on the IR where he's accustomed to staying.
    Last edited by GuidoYaztremski; 08-29-2012 at 10:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GuidoYaztremski View Post
    Gronk has a 6 inch and 45 pound advantage over Landry. I seriously doubt Landry will dominate that matchup "all game long twice per season". Landry best be careful or he'll end up on the IR where he's accustomed to staying.
    He'll sweep the ankle. Do you have a PROBLEM with that?

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by BRONX JET View Post
    Everyone looks good except Pace
    He's still very stout against the run and a capable blitzer. He's the least of our concerns.

lol, so pathetic.

Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    No doubt Jets are going to have a top defense( Going to rank in the top five somewhere) but I don't know if you can say they will be number 1.

There are so many factors that go into having the number 1 defense. The offense plays a big part in the equation. IF the Jets offense loses the time of possession battle all the time, or can't move the football consistently, that eventually going to wear a defense down.

IF Jets are number 1 than their offense especially the running game, going to have to be near the top. IF that unit(offense) is average than I don't see anyway that defense is number 1.
    Last edited by Raider9175; 08-29-2012 at 10:33 PM.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

... it's comin' bro!!! ...

... oops, got distracted there ...

l_j_r

Quote Originally Posted by lamont_jordan_rules View Post
    ... it's comin' bro!!! ...

... oops, got distracted there ...

l_j_r

Well then........ah....errrr......ummmm......wha......g eez......oh..........

Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by jetster View Post

The DL is loaded. It can stop the run and pressure the QB. Pouha and DeVito are high quality run stuffers. Mo-Kenrick-Coples are solid against the run too. With an offseason program, Mo and Kenrick look much improved, and seem poised to take their play to another level. Especially Kenrick...he looks like the Beast I thought he could be. Coples is a special talent. As he accumulates experience and reps...he has the potential to be a major impact player, that can be a constant terror in an opponent's backfield. Then you have the versatile Dixon, and maybe Jay Richardson as a rush DE, to round off this unit. What a difference a year makes...this bunch looks dangerous.

Revis-Cro-Wilson-Lankster is the best CB foursome in the NFL.

Newcomers...Landry-Bell-Bush-Allen, with E'Smith, has transformed the safety unit from horrific, to potentially a very good one.

Best CB foursome + quality safety play = best secondary in the NFL.

As i said in another thread...the LB speed and play of Maybin and newcomer Demario Davis, should help make this a decent unit. When added to vets Harris-Pace-Scott-Thomas. And with a year of experience in this defense...McIntyre and Mauga should play better too.

So even though the LB unit may be considered the weakest of the three. It can still have a significant impact on the D. Harris-Pace-Scott-Thomas are experienced veterans. They know this defense like the back of their hand. They can reap the benefits of a much improved pass rush/run stopping DL. Especially...when this is then coupled by the quality coverage and tackling ability of the secondary. These vets just need to make the right reads, and pounce on the opportunities these other two units provide them.

This defense could be sick.