Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Stephen A. Smith -> Jets are a joke. Are they?

Practice Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by heymangold View Post
    It seems like a lot of teams have it both ways. Look at the packers, giants, saints, 49ers, ravens, steelers, even the pats for Christ sake. These teams have good offenses with good to elite defenses, and have been making the playoffs and winning super bowls for years.

And how is my post wrong? In extended time this preseason against 2nd and 3rd teamers, Powell has been extremely underwhelming. And I actually really like Hill, but he's a rookie, and so far has shown a knack for dropping very easy passes. Also, just because a player is a first round pick doesn't mean he's the answer.

Your critique was Tanny didn't pay attention to the Offense, so that's incorrect. He's drafted and brought in a lot of first round offensive talent. You may not like his decisions but that's another thing.

Not that many teams have it both ways. Pats, saints and Packers stink on D (I mean they are really bad) but are bailed out by an offense that scores 30+ each game. 49ers won a lot of close games with a strong defense in a bad division. Their offense was worse than the Jets' last year.

Giants Ravens and Steelers seem to be the only team with adequate talent on both sides. But look deeper, both those organizations are committed to developing their players over time. In a similar vein, the Jets will always have a good D under Ryan because he will teach them his style of play. Hopefully Sporano will create an analogous offensive identity to teach and plug guys in when they are needed. It's not how much attention you pay towards a position, it's how well you develop inferior talent to play at an acceptable NFL level.

Austin Howard is proof that the Jets realize you have to scavenger around the bottom of the barrel for players with upside. Hit on two or three of those types out of a team of 52 and you will have a team with talent on both sides of the ball.

Veteran
    I dont get why you keep bringing up the first round thing? Other then Sanchez, who in the skill positions are a first rounder?

I would take the 49ers offense over ours. A pass catching, top 3 TE. Top tier running back. The packers, saints, and pats defenses are both highly rated this year.

Veteran
    I enjoy listening to him for the entertainment value especially when he doesn't know what he's talking about. Its comedy and sure beats that yankee homer...

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    Sense when has Steven A ever said anything good about the JETS. I stopped watching that show because all he has ever done is bad mouth this team. Now with his favorite player Tebow yeah I expect nothing else from him. He is only good for basketball and even then I only like him in small doses. Him and his Wade love used to make me vomit at times. He is the reason I can't stand the heat not James.
    He's an ill informed idiot. Yelling when he doesn't agree with something and rolling his eyes when others talk. His schtick has worn out and my remote gets a good workout soon as I see his face.

J-E-T-S!! JETS! JETS! JETS!

Practice Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by heymangold View Post
    I dont get why you keep bringing up the first round thing? Other then Sanchez, who in the skill positions are a first rounder?

I would take the 49ers offense over ours. A pass catching, top 3 TE. Top tier running back. The packers, saints, and pats defenses are both highly rated this year.

Keller and Holmes are first rounders. (So are Brick and Mangold--which are just as important as skill positions)

Packers Saints and Pats are highly ranked by the same idiots who blabber on espn all day. Those defenses will all be in the bottom half of the league if not bottom quarter.

You can't take any of these guys seriously. It's the entertainment industry for a reason. It's all about shtick with radio personalities. Take it for what it is.

I thought it was a decent article, just a bad headline