Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do not dare call for Rex Ryan's head after this season:

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like

Do not dare call for Rex Ryan's head after this season:

I hope Rex Ryan is our Andy Reid.

Just think, when he came in as Jets HC in 2009, he turned Mangini's defense into a number one ranked defense in almost every single category and had an overall #1 ranked defense that year. As long as he will be here the Jets will have a top 5 D year in and year out. The longer he's here, the better this defense will form in terms of draft and FA in years to come.

And just think, in '09 and '10 he came in here and brought this team to 2 AFC Championship games with a rookie QB and a questionable OC. Not to mention beating elite teams along the way, on the road to beat SD, Indy with Manning, NE with Brady who had a first round bye, and almost beat Pitts twice in a matter of 5 weeks.

I may be mistaken but I don't believe any other HC in NFL history has been able to do that the first two years as HC in the NFL.. not to bring up the fact that he did so with a QB who just started to learn how to play in the NFL.

Now, if Rex came in with a somewhat already established offense and and an even established average QB, we could've easily stepped into one of those two SB's in '09 or '10. We could be sitting here today thinking how we just won a SB a few years ago.

Like I said I hope Rex will be our Andy Reid. The longer he's here, the better this defense will become. It's not his fault he came in with no offense and a rookie QB who most people had concerns about even before he came out of the gate.

If we can just get an offense put together and have an even average offense established... We'd be legit contenders year in and year out. If not, very close to be.

So stop the talks across this board 'CUT REX'S HEAD OFF!'

If we give Rex the right amount of time to keep on learning as a HC, and to keep putting this defense together, and we can somehow establish an offense.....
    .... Well then, Jets are going to be a team to be reckoned with. And with this type of defense we don't even need an elite offense or an elite QB.

It might be a tough season.. But, you keep moving forward.

As bold of a statement this may be: If we give Rex the right amount of time here in NY, he WILL win us a SB... As far as I'm concerned, if he came in here with an offense and QB that was already in tact.. He would already have and we'd be praising him no matter what. Even if he came in here the year Brett Favre was here.. A top 3 D with Brett at QB and that was the year our offense picked up in a lot of areas.. We would've gone far. Consider too the next year is when Favre made it to the NFC Championship game with the Vikings when we were in the AFC Championship game with Sanchez and lost in the last few minutes.

In the word's on John Lennon: "All we are saying ..... is Give Rex a chance!"

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    The bar is that low? Andy Reid is a good coach, but he's never won the big game and he underachieved. Can he at least be our Bill Cower? Who won it once.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rex shouldnt even be put in the same sentence as Andy Reid. When rex has the yrs of success as reid has had, then you can compare the two

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdanNJ View Post
    Rex shouldnt even be put in the same sentence as Andy Reid. When rex has the yrs of success as reid has had, then you can compare the two
    In Reid's first 3 years he went 5-11, 11-5, 11-5. He won 1 division title, had divisional playoff loss, and conference championship loss.

Rex's first 3 years are 9-7, 11-5, 8-8. Two conference championship losses.

Not a huge difference there in the first 3 years.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NuJurzy87 View Post

Just think, when he came in as Jets HC in 2009, he turned Mangini's defense into a number one ranked defense in almost every single category and had an overall #1 ranked defense that year. As long as he will be here the Jets will have a top 5 D year in and year out. The longer he's here, the better this defense will form in terms of draft and FA in years to come.

And just think, in '09 and '10 he came in here and brought this team to 2 AFC Championship games with a rookie QB and a questionable OC. Not to mention beating elite teams along the way, on the road to beat SD, Indy with Manning, NE with Brady who had a first round bye, and almost beat Pitts twice in a matter of 5 weeks.

I may be mistaken but I don't believe any other HC in NFL history has been able to do that the first two years as HC in the NFL.. not to bring up the fact that he did so with a QB who just started to learn how to play in the NFL.

Now, if Rex came in with a somewhat already established offense and and an even established average QB, we could've easily stepped into one of those two SB's in '09 or '10. We could be sitting here today thinking how we just won a SB a few years ago.

Like I said I hope Rex will be our Andy Reid. The longer he's here, the better this defense will become. It's not his fault he came in with no offense and a rookie QB who most people had concerns about even before he came out of the gate.

If we can just get an offense put together and have an even average offense established... We'd be legit contenders year in and year out. If not, very close to be.

If we give Rex the right amount of time to keep on learning as a HC, and to keep putting this defense together, and we can somehow establish an offense.....
    .... Well then, Jets are going to be a team to be reckoned with. And with this type of defense we don't even need an elite offense or an elite QB.

As bold of a statement this may be: If we give Rex the right amount of time here in NY, he WILL win us a SB... As far as I'm concerned, if he came in here with an offense and QB that was already in tact.. He would already have and we'd be praising him no matter what. Even if he came in here the year Brett Favre was here.. A top 3 D with Brett at QB and that was the year our offense picked up in a lot of areas.. We would've gone far. Consider too the next year is when Favre made it to the NFC Championship game with the Vikings when we were in the AFC Championship game with Sanchez and lost in the last few minutes.

+1 Couldn't possibly agree any more. Rex Ryan is the first real HC the organization has seen since Parcells. Getting rid of him would be embracing mediocrity, something I will NEVER have any intentions of doing. And neither should you.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great post. It takes time to build a champion and you cant start ver every 3 or four years. I want Rex around until he decides to retire. He has shown us great promise and I dont know of a more passionate coach.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Since 2009 the roster, not the coach, has been the problem.

Thomas Jones, Alan Faneca, Damien Woody and T-Rich are all gone now.

Tannenbaum gave this team an offensive identity with those players and failed to replace them as they retired.

Don't think he's "terrible", but Tannenbaum goes before Ryan. We've been to two AFC Championships under Ryan and beat the Pats in the playoffs in Foxboro. Rex has flaws but he's the best damn coach we've had since Parcells.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am on the fence with this one guys. On one hand, you guys are 100% correct, Ryan has been a great defensive coach, but has ZERO input and knowledge of offense and ST. Herein lies my problem with him. A great HC has his fingers on the pulse of all 3 units of his team. He does not say "my defense" when referring to the team's defense all while neglecting the other units. To me, Rex is a DC who carries a HC title. So if we crash & burn this season, winning, say, 5 games, do we want to continue with a guy who has blatantly ignored the offense year in and year out? Speaking for myself, I am 50 y/o, and do not have unlimited seasons ahead of me for this team to win a SB. It is time now, I need it and want it now, however, as I said earlier, I am not able to say for certain now, we do have to let the season play out, you never know, even if the outlook is bleak, you just never know.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would love to see some stability for the first time ever in this franchise. I am not blind to the imperfections in our HC or GM. However, I feel they are doing a better job than previous regimes, and all fired people need to be replaced with someone else, and I'm not interested in anyone else, not Cowher, Gruden or anybody.

Many coaches with long tenures were all on the edge of being fired, Cowher, Coughlin (even last year before the SB run at 7-7 people were calling for his head), Reid.

All coaches need a chance and time, and in NY we don't give anyone time to recoup. Herm's lack of brains would have never let him stand as a HC and Mangini also not good enough. Rex has blown those two away by leaps and bounds as a HC, Rex is by far the best since Parcells.

Rex's main flaws have been neglecting the offense in favor of the defense. He is still weak on managing clock and timeouts and very weak on decisions when to throw the challenge flag or keep it in his pocket. I do not need him to "Shut Up" all the time, but I appreciate that he has chosen words much more carefully this offseason. I am not a proponent of the dull as cardboard approach to HC.

GM main flaw is stop-gap players rather than building, and high cap numbers every year going into the offseason. However, I have no problem trading draft picks for talent. Draft picks need to be converted into players somehow anyway, and trading is a way to accomplish that. Besides, percentages of hitting on a first rounder is not much more than 50% and gets less as the draft goes on. You do not need 7-10 draft picks every year to build for the future.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

What years of success were they? What did they win?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Andy reid hasn't won jack. His claim to fame is 4 conference losses and 1 super bowl trip. Get out of here with that

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    No Jets fan is going to sit here and say keep Rex and Tanny if the have a loosing season like 6-10. He's also got the big task of nocking the Pats out of first in the east, which means winning 13+ games. I don't see it. Rex is too soft and loyal to players that under produce.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Icer View Post
    Andy reid hasn't won jack. His claim to fame is 4 conference losses and 1 super bowl trip. Get out of here with that
    If you look at it Cowher is similar other than winning 1 of 2 SB's. When you win more than 10 games a year and make the playoffs over 90% of your tenure you're considered a good HC.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    When we're 1-5 and the team is imploding, Rex Ryan will be fired, so, no worries, won't be calling for his head after the season is over.

SAR I

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    ... after winning this seasons superbowl you'll have to be smoking crack to call for his head ...

l_j_r

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    When we're 1-5 and the team is imploding, Rex Ryan will be fired, so, no worries, won't be calling for his head after the season is over.

SAR I
    I actually hoped that for last year so we could fire Schitty and save the season... However, I believe your radar is way off. Once again, not blind to the limitations of the offense, and pray we fix the special teams by changing punters and not fumbling punts, but unless we choke, this team will not be worse than .500

Winning cures locker room woes and losing begets finger pointing. If by some small chance we do start 1-5, we would implode and that would lead to a new regime.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah we should fire him now, and hire Stephen Ahole Smith, or Sari, and his SarI ass. We were so much better before we hired Rex. He's ruining this once dominating organization. 32-22 since he's been here is pathetic.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post

SAR I
    A little heavy on the negativity there SAR?! Oh wait.... That is your MO.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NuJurzy87 View Post

Thank you. 100% correct. Rex is the most talented coach this organization has had in thirty years+. Yes, he made some mistakes last year. But he's recognized them and adjusted his tone.

The man's got tons of talent. Ryan's defenses are exciting to watch. If he makes the playoffs once in the next two years we keep him for another three--no question. I predict he will do much better than expected this year.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    If Sanchez develops into a decent QB, he just might