Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 50

Thread: NYP Costello: The positions where the Jets face the toughest decisions

  1. #21
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    3,968
    Unless he totally bombs tonight against 2nd and 3rd stringers, I don't see how anyone can make an argument to cut Richardson. I think he belongs.

  2. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by NYJCAP2 View Post
    Unless he totally bombs tonight against 2nd and 3rd stringers, I don't see how anyone can make an argument to cut Richardson. I think he belongs.
    Absolutely agree.

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by jetswin View Post
    Scott looks as good as he ever has as a Jet
    In coverage? It's the same strengths and weaknesses. Plus, I'd like to get back some draft picks after wasting picks on Tebow. We never seem to have enough draft picks to ensure we have good young depth throughout the team. Good teams trade guys a year early instead of a year too late. He's replaceable.

  4. #24
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Electric Avenue
    Posts
    26,719
    Quote Originally Posted by ozu View Post
    WR (5)
    Holmes
    Hill
    Kerley
    Turner
    White

    LB (9)
    Thomas
    Scott
    Harris
    Pace
    Maybin
    Bellore
    Mauga
    McIntyre
    Davis

    Corner, who knows. I really don't think much of Trufant/Posey except on STs. Last year we kept 6 DL so Dixon/Richardson/MTV/Harrison are basically fighting for that last spot and they've all played well. I think Dixon will get it.
    People have an irrational hatred for Bart around here. He'd looked great in the preseason though.


    Agreed. I'll lose it if we keep Schilens over White.
    Except last year we played more 34. This year will be more 43. So we will need more on the DL.

  5. #25
    We better keep Jordan White. It's a travesty that we have not given him real playing time with the 1s and instead gave that playing time to Hill, who is a project right now. White was the productive one in college, not Hill.

  6. #26
    This team still needs an outside pass rush. I think we better stash Sapp away. Out Offense is going to be weak, no matter what, with Sanchez as the QB. So with that in mind, we need to have a beast of a Defense.

  7. #27
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    27,762
    Quote Originally Posted by NYDreamer View Post
    Jetsblog.com has a great article on DT Harrison out of William Penn fighting for a NT roster spot as well. Kids like this who are showing something special are the ones you root for, it just becomes a numbers game. We have seen that all to often during preseason.
    I'll be pretty pissed if we keep Teveseau over Harrison.

    MTV has looked like sh*t everytime I've seen him, dating back to two years ago.

    The guy constantly gets blown off the line.

  8. #28
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Electric Avenue
    Posts
    26,719
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    I'll be pretty pissed if we keep Teveseau over Harrison.

    MTV has looked like sh*t everytime I've seen him, dating back to two years ago.

    The guy constantly gets blown off the line.
    +1

  9. #29
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Blue Ridge Mtns. of Virginia
    Posts
    2,849
    running back could be interesting with Connor and Ganaway on the bubble.

  10. #30
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Electric Avenue
    Posts
    26,719
    Quote Originally Posted by gaffneycatch View Post
    running back could be interesting with Connor and Ganaway on the bubble.
    I'd be a bit surprised if the Jets didn't grab a RB/FB type off the wire and replace Conner.

    I think Ganaway goes to the PS.

  11. #31
    From what I've read, and what I know of the player, I really hope Ryan finds a way to keep Sapp on the LB unit, his talent and upside is worth it and he was killing it early in camp before that scrimmage game, he practiced for two weeks and gave the coaches a lot of practice film to look at, I have to think he has a chance.

    To me the LB unit is the most interesting.

    To, Scott, Pace, Harris, Scott, Maybin, Davis, and Mauga are locks, yes, I didn't mention Thomas as a lock...

    Depending on how many they keep, you got to figure they'll keep at least 8.

    Obviously Thomas is up at the top of the bubble list, and from all indications, he's had a good camp and has looked good in the pre-season, seems fully recovered, he does a lot of the dirty work as the SOLB, so Ryan may have a soft spot for the player, and it seems he can still play at a good level, but examining the OLB position is interesting.

    You figure, Pace, Thomas, and Maybin are in, then you have McIntyre and Sapp battling for that 4th spot, I think the Jets keep 8 or 9.

    To me, Harris, Scott, Davis, Mauga make it at ILB

    Pace, Thomas*, Maybin make it at OLB

    McIntyre is a player much like Thomas, Sapp is probably one of their more talented and all around LB's because of size and speed, can rush passer, can play run, you figure if he showed well enough, he's got to take the 4th OLB spot.

    Bellore I think is in trouble due to numbers, but I know he's a ST's stud, so that is why I think we saw Bellore getting reps at FB, the team wants to keep him, and is trying to find a way to keep him, and the reason for this isn't neccessarily because Harris, Davis, Scott, and Mauga are ahead of him, I'm pretty sure the team really likes Dowtin's upside. Dowtin was a starter on ST's last game, he has a lot of upside, and can play both outside and inside, he's probably one of the best athletes on the team, they may consider putting Dowtin on PS, but he may have too much ability to risk that.

    If I had to guess, the team decides to keep 9 LB's, they've kep 10 and 11 DB's in the past, I think they only keep no more than 10 this year, so the extra number goes at LB.

    My final guess for defense:

    Defense: (26)

    DL: (7)

    DE: Wilkerson, Coples, Devito, Dixon, Richardson
    NT/DT: Pouha, Ellis

    LB: (9)

    OLB: Pace, Thomas, Maybin, Sapp
    ILB: Harris, Scott, Davis, Mauga, Dowtin

    Bellore gets cut or stays with team at FB, and McIntyre is cut and put on PS. Bellore too could be added back to PS.

    DB: (10)

    CB: Revis, Cromartie, Wilson, Lankster, Trufant
    S: Landry, Bell, Smith, Bush, Allen

    Offense: (24)

    QB: (3)

    Sanchez
    Tebow
    McElroy

    RB/FB: (4)

    Greene
    Powell
    McKnight
    Conner

    TE: (3)

    Keller
    Cumberland
    FA/trade

    OL: (8)

    Mangold
    Moore
    Slauson
    Ferguson
    Howard
    Ducasse
    Schlauderaff
    Smith

    WR: (6)

    Holmes
    Hill
    Schilens
    Kerley
    Turner
    White

    ST: (3)

    K Folk
    P Conley/Lanning
    LS Purdum

    PS: (8)

    RB Ganaway
    LB Bellore
    LB McIntyre
    TE Hayden Smith
    CB Posey
    WR Pollard
    DT Harrison
    OL Griffin

  12. #32
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Blue Ridge Mtns. of Virginia
    Posts
    2,849
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    From what I've read, and what I know of the player, I really hope Ryan finds a way to keep Sapp on the LB unit, his talent and upside is worth it and he was killing it early in camp before that scrimmage game, he practiced for two weeks and gave the coaches a lot of practice film to look at, I have to think he has a chance.

    To me the LB unit is the most interesting.

    To, Scott, Pace, Harris, Scott, Maybin, Davis, and Mauga are locks, yes, I didn't mention Thomas as a lock...

    Depending on how many they keep, you got to figure they'll keep at least 8.

    Obviously Thomas is up at the top of the bubble list, and from all indications, he's had a good camp and has looked good in the pre-season, seems fully recovered, he does a lot of the dirty work as the SOLB, so Ryan may have a soft spot for the player, and it seems he can still play at a good level, but examining the OLB position is interesting.

    You figure, Pace, Thomas, and Maybin are in, then you have McIntyre and Sapp battling for that 4th spot, I think the Jets keep 8 or 9.

    To me, Harris, Scott, Davis, Mauga make it at ILB

    Pace, Thomas*, Maybin make it at OLB

    McIntyre is a player much like Thomas, Sapp is probably one of their more talented and all around LB's because of size and speed, can rush passer, can play run, you figure if he showed well enough, he's got to take the 4th OLB spot.

    Bellore I think is in trouble due to numbers, but I know he's a ST's stud, so that is why I think we saw Bellore getting reps at FB, the team wants to keep him, and is trying to find a way to keep him, and the reason for this isn't neccessarily because Harris, Davis, Scott, and Mauga are ahead of him, I'm pretty sure the team really likes Dowtin's upside. Dowtin was a starter on ST's last game, he has a lot of upside, and can play both outside and inside, he's probably one of the best athletes on the team, they may consider putting Dowtin on PS, but he may have too much ability to risk that.

    If I had to guess, the team decides to keep 9 LB's, they've kep 10 and 11 DB's in the past, I think they only keep no more than 10 this year, so the extra number goes at LB.

    My final guess for defense:

    Defense: (26)

    DL: (7)

    DE: Wilkerson, Coples, Devito, Dixon, Richardson
    NT/DT: Pouha, Ellis

    LB: (9)

    OLB: Pace, Thomas, Maybin, Sapp
    ILB: Harris, Scott, Davis, Mauga, Dowtin

    Bellore gets cut or stays with team at FB, and McIntyre is cut and put on PS. Bellore too could be added back to PS.

    DB: (10)

    CB: Revis, Cromartie, Wilson, Lankster, Trufant
    S: Landry, Bell, Smith, Bush, Allen

    Offense: (24)

    QB: (3)

    Sanchez
    Tebow
    McElroy

    RB/FB: (4)

    Greene
    Powell
    McKnight
    Conner

    TE: (3)

    Keller
    Cumberland
    FA/trade

    OL: (8)

    Mangold
    Moore
    Slauson
    Ferguson
    Howard
    Ducasse
    Schlauderaff
    Smith

    WR: (6)

    Holmes
    Hill
    Schilens
    Kerley
    Turner
    White

    ST: (3)

    K Folk
    P Conley/Lanning
    LS Purdum

    PS: (8)

    RB Ganaway
    LB Bellore
    LB McIntyre
    TE Hayden Smith
    CB Posey
    WR Pollard
    DT Harrison
    OL Griffin
    looks pretty reasonable.

    but you can't just put anybody on the practice squad. the guy has to have less than 2 years in the NFL, and can't have been on the 53-man squad for more than like 6 games in a season (maybe it's even 4). I think that eliminates Bellore, McIntyre, and maybe one or two other guys you have listed there.

  13. #33
    Would love to see the Jets swing some trades for some of the better players we are going to have to cut. A player like Pace might fetch a 3 or 4 and a few others 5 and 6's, hope Tanny is already working the phones and seeing if there is any interest before many of these quality players become F/A's available to all takers

  14. #34
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Electric Avenue
    Posts
    26,719
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post

    Bellore gets cut or stays with team at FB, and McIntyre is cut and put on PS. Bellore too could be added back to PS.



    PS: (8)

    RB Ganaway
    LB Bellore
    LB McIntyre
    TE Hayden Smith
    CB Posey
    WR Pollard
    DT Harrison
    OL Griffin
    Are McIntyre and Bellore PS eligible?

    Hayden Smith gets a foreign player exception so you can add one more to the PS.

  15. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    Are McIntyre and Bellore PS eligible?

    Hayden Smith gets a foreign player exception so you can add one more to the PS.
    It's close, and I know there are rules, but I think there are playing time rules but I'm not completely sure if McIntyre and Bellore are PS eligible.

    Is that true on Smith? I did not know that..

  16. #36
    All League
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Hoboken
    Posts
    3,996
    They're not eligible. They were active for more than 9 games last year.

  17. #37
    And btw, I meant to put Simms on my PS squad, I think the team likes him a lot and is trying to hide him to keep him on the PS for a year.

    I would NOT be surprised with a good showing tonight if Simms made the team, whether that included McElroy or not.

  18. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    And btw, I meant to put Simms on my PS squad, I think the team likes him a lot and is trying to hide him to keep him on the PS for a year.

    I would NOT be surprised with a good showing tonight if Simms made the team, whether that included McElroy or not.
    Oh my heavens. The stupidity.

  19. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Crable View Post
    Oh my heavens. The stupidity.
    What is stupid?

  20. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenSpleen View Post
    This team still needs an outside pass rush. I think we better stash Sapp away. Out Offense is going to be weak, no matter what, with Sanchez as the QB. So with that in mind, we need to have a beast of a Defense.
    I agree..I would guess Sapp is only a week or two away from playing at this point..I know it's been reported to be a high ankle sprain but it's been about 4 weeks now..What's another week or two to have him inactive on gameday..

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us