Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: NYP Costello: The positions where the Jets face the toughest decisions

Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    I agree..I would guess Sapp is only a week or two away from playing at this point..I know it's been reported to be a high ankle sprain but it's been about 4 weeks now..What's another week or two to have him inactive on gameday..
    Agreed.

Another option that could open up an opportunity to stash Sapp away, depending on his health, I believe the rule change came out yesterday or today about being able to have 1 player put on IR and be able to bring him back after week 8. Not sure if the Jets want to use this with a player like Sapp, but it's a thought.

All League
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by JamaicanJetFan View Post
    I will flip out if we cut Jordan White
    Agreed. Plus he has a ton of special teams flexibility. I think he has to make the 53.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Ray19 View Post
    Agreed.

Another option that could open up an opportunity to stash Sapp away, depending on his health, I believe the rule change came out yesterday or today about being able to have 1 player put on IR and be able to bring him back after week 8. Not sure if the Jets want to use this with a player like Sapp, but it's a thought.
    Yeah I started a thread on that

I wouldn't on Sapp. I'd save it for
    an in season injury

We are stacked at LB? What! LB and FB are the only 2 things on down on. We have 0 OLBs that would start on 90% of the other teams in the league.

Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Jets rookie Damon Harrison hopes he won't have to go home just yet

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/201...rrison_ho.html
    Would like to see the Jets retain DT Harrison, he's been showing real glimpses in TC and sounds like a keeper. Pouha is getting older and in another year or two may need to pass on the torch to Ellis et al full time. Jets are spoilt with the DL depth which took considerable effort to develop. Having a conveyor belt of talent to platoon at DL especially tackle helps out in a big, big way.

White is another talent the Jets may lose if he's but on the PS. Having another team snatch him straight after he's recovered and showing his potential would be untenable

All Pro
    They have to keep White... if they let him go but keep BodyCast, I'll probably snap.

I wouldn't feel too safe if I were Ricky Sapp.

As always, there are several tough choices to make. Posey, I think, gets cut and they maybe try to stash him on the PS.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    They have to keep White... if they let him go but keep BodyCast, I'll probably snap.

I wouldn't feel too safe if I were Ricky Sapp.

As always, there are several tough choices to make. Posey, I think, gets cut and they maybe try to stash him on the PS.
    I'd keep Riley over both

From what I've read, and what I know of the player, I really hope Ryan finds a way to keep Sapp on the LB unit, his talent and upside is worth it and he was killing it early in camp before that scrimmage game, he practiced for two weeks and gave the coaches a lot of practice film to look at, I have to think he has a chance.

To me the LB unit is the most interesting.

To, Scott, Pace, Harris, Scott, Maybin, Davis, and Mauga are locks, yes, I didn't mention Thomas as a lock...

Depending on how many they keep, you got to figure they'll keep at least 8.

Obviously Thomas is up at the top of the bubble list, and from all indications, he's had a good camp and has looked good in the pre-season, seems fully recovered, he does a lot of the dirty work as the SOLB, so Ryan may have a soft spot for the player, and it seems he can still play at a good level, but examining the OLB position is interesting.

You figure, Pace, Thomas, and Maybin are in, then you have McIntyre and Sapp battling for that 4th spot, I think the Jets keep 8 or 9.

To me, Harris, Scott, Davis, Mauga make it at ILB

Pace, Thomas*, Maybin make it at OLB

McIntyre is a player much like Thomas, Sapp is probably one of their more talented and all around LB's because of size and speed, can rush passer, can play run, you figure if he showed well enough, he's got to take the 4th OLB spot.

Bellore I think is in trouble due to numbers, but I know he's a ST's stud, so that is why I think we saw Bellore getting reps at FB, the team wants to keep him, and is trying to find a way to keep him, and the reason for this isn't neccessarily because Harris, Davis, Scott, and Mauga are ahead of him, I'm pretty sure the team really likes Dowtin's upside. Dowtin was a starter on ST's last game, he has a lot of upside, and can play both outside and inside, he's probably one of the best athletes on the team, they may consider putting Dowtin on PS, but he may have too much ability to risk that.

If I had to guess, the team decides to keep 9 LB's, they've kep 10 and 11 DB's in the past, I think they only keep no more than 10 this year, so the extra number goes at LB.

My final guess for defense:

Defense: (26)

DL: (7)

DE: Wilkerson, Coples, Devito, Dixon, Richardson
    NT/DT: Pouha, Ellis

LB: (9)

OLB: Pace, Thomas, Maybin, Sapp
    ILB: Harris, Scott, Davis, Mauga, Dowtin

Bellore gets cut or stays with team at FB, and McIntyre is cut and put on PS. Bellore too could be added back to PS.

DB: (10)

CB: Revis, Cromartie, Wilson, Lankster, Trufant
    S: Landry, Bell, Smith, Bush, Allen

Offense: (24)

QB: (3)

Sanchez
    Tebow
    McElroy

RB/FB: (4)

Greene
    Powell
    McKnight
    Conner

TE: (3)

Keller
    Cumberland
    FA/trade

OL: (8)

Mangold
    Moore
    Slauson
    Ferguson
    Howard
    Ducasse
    Schlauderaff
    Smith

WR: (6)

Holmes
    Hill
    Schilens
    Kerley
    Turner
    White

ST: (3)

K Folk
    P Conley/Lanning
    LS Purdum

PS: (8)

RB Ganaway
    LB Bellore
    LB McIntyre
    TE Hayden Smith
    CB Posey
    WR Pollard
    DT Harrison
    OL Griffin
    After further review, and tonight's game...

Players who really helped themselves tonight: McIntyre, Riley, and Harrison.

Dowtin had an up and down game, I thought he flashed, but he's raw, the potential is there though.

Players who hurt themselves: Conner, Richardson, and White.

My updated 53 locks, pending FA moves and/or trades

Wilkerson
    Coples
    Devito
    Dixon
    Pouha
    Ellis
    Harrison

* I thought Harrison played so well, he has a chance to make team, should be a definite P.S candidate

Pace
    Thomas
    Maybin
    Sapp
    Harris
    Scott
    Davis
    Mauga
    Bellore

Revis
    Cromartie
    Wilson
    Lankster
    Trufant
    Landry
    Bell
    Smith
    Bush
    Allen

Sanchez
    Tebow
    McElroy

RB/FB: (4+?)

Greene
    Powell
    McKnight
    Ganaway/FA pickup

* I think Ganaway is a possible cut and PS candidate, I, think Conner gets cut, he really disappointed this pre-season. Jets will target RB/FB during cuts, will be a top priority

Keller
    Cumberland
    FA/trade

Same as running back, RB and TE will be positions team really targets during cuts.

Mangold
    Moore
    Slauson
    Ferguson
    Howard
    Ducasse
    Schlauderaff
    Smith

Holmes
    Hill
    Schilens
    Kerley
    Turner
    Riley

* I think Riley made the team tonight over White, White goes to PS, Jets could be looking at WR in FA.

K Folk
    P Conley
    LS Purdum

* Lanning didn't fare well at all

PS: (6+?)

RB Ganaway
    TE Hayden Smith
    CB Posey
    WR White
    OL Griffin
    QB Simms

After further review, and tonight's game...

Players who really helped themselves tonight: McIntyre, Riley, and Harrison.

Dowtin had an up and down game, I thought he flashed, but he's raw, the potential is there though.

Players who hurt themselves: Conner, Richardson, and White.

My updated 53 locks, pending FA moves and/or trades

Wilkerson
    Coples
    Devito
    Dixon
    Pouha
    Ellis
    Harrison

* I thought Harrison played so well, he has a chance to make team, should be a definite P.S candidate

Pace
    Thomas
    Maybin
    Sapp
    Harris
    Scott
    Davis
    Mauga
    Bellore

Revis
    Cromartie
    Wilson
    Lankster
    Trufant
    Landry
    Bell
    Smith
    Bush
    Allen

Sanchez
    Tebow
    McElroy

RB/FB: (4+?)

Greene
    Powell
    McKnight
    Ganaway/FA pickup

* I think Ganaway is a possible cut and PS candidate, I, think Conner gets cut, he really disappointed this pre-season. Jets will target RB/FB during cuts, will be a top priority

Keller
    Cumberland
    FA/trade

Same as running back, RB and TE will be positions team really targets during cuts.

Mangold
    Moore
    Slauson
    Ferguson
    Howard
    Ducasse
    Schlauderaff
    Smith

Holmes
    Hill
    Schilens
    Kerley
    Turner
    Riley

* I think Riley made the team tonight over White, White goes to PS, Jets could be looking at WR in FA.

K Folk
    P Conley
    LS Purdum

* Lanning didn't fare well at all

PS: (6+?)

RB Ganaway
    TE Hayden Smith
    CB Posey
    WR White
    OL Griffin
    QB Simms
    You get 8 players on the PS and Hayden Smith doesn't count towards that total because he's foreign born and his permanent address is outside the US.

I think Ganaway gets taken if the Jets expose him to waivers which will force them to pull him back.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Crable View Post
    Oh my heavens. The stupidity.