Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Drunk man kills 70,000 chickens

Veteran

Drunk man kills 70,000 chickens

Okay, which hampur guy is this?

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012...-chickens?lite

A man wandering around a Delmar, Md., poultry farm in a drunken stupor turned off the power to three chicken houses, causing the deaths of nearly 70,000 chickens, sheriff’s officials said.

The property owner who made the grisly discovery found the man, identified as Joshua D. Shelton, 21, of Delmar, Md., passed out on the floor of the power control shed, wearing only a T-shirt and boxer shorts.

“This subject was also lying in a pool of his own urine. A strong odor of alcohol was also coming from the subject,” Wicomico County sheriff’s Lt. Tim Robinson said in a press release.

The investigating deputy awakened the man.

“Shelton advised the last thing he remembered was being on the property after a nearby concert but did not know how he ended up in the shed. The deputy surmised that in his intoxicated state, Shelton turned off the circuit breakers that controlled the electricity to the chicken houses,” Robinson said.

Shelton was arrested and booked into jail on charges of second-degree burglary, trespass and malicious destruction of property.

The property owner discovered the dead chickens Saturday morning. He told investigators that without power, the chickens will begin to die within 15 minutes. The birds, which were due to be delivered to a local processing plant the following day, were valued at $20,000.
    Not quite Rodin, but . . .

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Star Lady View Post

Not quite Rodin, but . . .
    very Timmyesque!

Jets Insider VIP
    Ok, this is crazy, but can someone explain to me how chickens die in 15 minutes without electricity? It's not like it was sub-zero temperatures in Maryland last night

Good. Let's start on the rest this afternoon.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by JetPotato View Post
    Ok, this is crazy, but can someone explain to me how chickens die in 15 minutes without electricity? It's not like it was sub-zero temperatures in Maryland last night
    Thought the same thing, great reporting.

Jets Insider VIP
    Chick-fil-A party in MD! yeehaw!

Quote Originally Posted by quantum View Post
    Chick-fil-A party in MD! yeehaw!
    I'll bring the Lipstick Lesbians.

Hall Of Fame
    Mods, please lock due to excessive dickery.

Jets Insider VIP
    Boca Raton, FL / Surrendered my PSL's biatches
    That comes down to 28.5 cents per chicken.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    I'll bring the Lipstick Lesbians.
    Chicken AND tuna on the menu? that'll work.

It is a shame you couldn't have used this method on the yellow jackets.

Jets Insider VIP
    I'm still bothered by this. Ok, even if no one can answer for me why chickens die in 15 minutes without electricity (were they on life support?) - knowing that, wouldn't you have a fail safe system in place? Alarms? Backup power? What happens in the case of normal failure? Do massive amounts of chickens die every time there's a thunderstorm?

If I were a chicken, I'd be outraged that more isn't being done to ensure my safety.

thanks to Jimmy and his cronies...

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post
    thanks to Jimmy and his cronies...
    lol

All League
    I'm still bothered by this. Ok, even if no one can answer for me why chickens die in 15 minutes without electricity (were they on life support?) - knowing that, wouldn't you have a fail safe system in place? Alarms? Backup power? What happens in the case of normal failure? Do massive amounts of chickens die every time there's a thunderstorm?

If I were a chicken, I'd be outraged that more isn't being done to ensure my safety.
    Maybe the electricity runs AC or fans to keep the chicken coop cool at a constant temperature. No electricity, the coop gets too hot, and massive heat stroke ensues.

Just a thought.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Big L View Post
    Maybe the electricity runs AC or fans to keep the chicken coop cool at a constant temperature. No electricity, the coop gets too hot, and massive heat stroke ensues.

Just a thought.
    Right, it's a good thought. But again... if chickens are that reliant on air flow/temperature... wouldn't you do more to ensure they get it? A power failure is all it takes? Where's Plan B?

Just a thought.
    kinda disturbing that teh chickenz are kept in such conditions that this could happen after just 15 minutes.

Right, it's a good thought. But again... if chickens are that reliant on air flow/temperature... wouldn't you do more to ensure they get it? A power failure is all it takes? Where's Plan B?

Like a generator?

I wonder if anyone knows anything about generators?

All League

Just a thought.
    True. Have you seen the price of eggs lately? The heat in the mid-west this summer caused the chickens to be stressed and could not produce eggs, especially LG and XLG.

There is already a chicken shortage, just wait until you see the prices at the store in the next few weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Foley11 View Post
    Like a generator?

I wonder if anyone knows anything about generators?
    oh noez...