Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bruce Irvin

Bruce Irvin

Someone asked the other day about how he was doing....

Rotoworld just posted something saying that Pete Caroll isnt worried that Irvin has not recorded a single tackle or sack so far in the preseason and that he has been excelling in practice nonetheless.

Interesting tidbit.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    Someone asked the other day about how he was doing....

Rotoworld just posted something saying that Pete Caroll isnt worried that Irvin has not recorded a single tackle or sack so far in the preseason and that he has been excelling in practice nonetheless.

Interesting tidbit.
    VG2?

When I was watching him play, he looked small and didn't impress me at all. He couldn't get any pressure and looked outmatched size wise.

Hall Of Fame
    I am glad we didn't draft him. We already have Maybin who is our DPR.

All Pro
    He's fast, but he has one pass-rush move which is the speed rush. We already have this guy in Aaron Maybin, and we didn't have to use a top 15 pick to get him. So glad we ended up with Coples and not Irvin.

I read last week that Courtney Upshaw is not going to start
    Melvin Ingram had a few sacks, but got banged up
    Chandler Jones has been off to a great start
    Coples has been very good for the Jets

It seems like you are seeing a lot of positive reports from the DEs drafted, I've heard not so good things about Poe and Irvin.

Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post

It seems like you are seeing a lot of positive reports from the DEs drafted, I've heard not so good things about Poe and Irvin.
    Yea I read has struggled a lot too, but that is to be expected for a NT imo, similar to kendrick last year.

I was surprised about upshaw getting beaten out, but also was one of the few on the draft board that liked him.

By all accounts ingram has been great as has jones.

Personally ive been happy with coples and am hoping he doesnt play much tonight. Yes he needs reps, but i also want him to be healthy and I dont see how much more he can improve dominating the 3rd stringers anymore.

Veteran
    Yea I read has struggled a lot too, but that is to be expected for a NT imo, similar to kendrick last year.

I was surprised about upshaw getting beaten out, but also was one of the few on the draft board that liked him.

Personally ive been happy with coples and am hoping he doesnt play much tonight. Yes he needs reps, but i also want him to be healthy and I dont see how much more he can improve dominating the 3rd stringers anymore.
    I wouldn't hope for that much production from Coples this year. If he gets 5 sacks I'd say that was a very successful season.

Quote Originally Posted by Funaz View Post
    I wouldn't hope for that much production from Coples this year. If he gets 5 sacks I'd say that was a very successful season.
    Coples is an animal. His only issue will be conditioning. But, if they limit his snaps, and only play him during passing downs, he'll definitely get more than 5 sacks. I would say seven to nine. I think Aaron Maybin will be good for about 10.

Again, it's early, it just seems like the DE class was pretty strong. I think most people would agree that Coples has been good in preseason, and the guy that most people wanted was Ingram who has also been great, if they are both good, than that's great.

Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post

Upshaw isn't playing well. McClellan is above him in term of playing time. I don't know what that means for Suggs' replacement until/if/when he comes back.

I like Ingram, and Jones has played above many's expectations, but Coples seems to be the strongest of the bunch.

Carroll really reached with that guy.

Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    He could very well turn into a good pass rusher, but I believe at that spot they definitely reached. He could have had him later, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    He could very well turn into a good pass rusher, but I believe at that spot they definitely reached. He could have had him later, IMO.
    Agreed.

i was on the coples bandwagon prior to the draft and was more than stoked when we actually drafted him

i dont need to hear/see other articles about other players i.e. ingram, irvin etc...to know coples was the BPA and best pick for us

that said, it is nice to have some early "confirmation" coples is a beast (when compared to the recent drafted players)

Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    Rumor is Tannenbaum would have chosen Irvin, if Irvin was still there. Not sure how accurate that is, but that would have been bad. Coples is two and half years younger, more versatile, and just a better prospect.

Hall Of Fame
    I am so glad Seattle drafted Irvin. By some accounts Rex was interested in drafting Irvin at 16 if Coples was not there. Thank you Pete Carroll for reaching for Irvin.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by detectivekimble View Post
    Rumor is Tannenbaum would have chosen Irvin, if Irvin was still there. Not sure how accurate that is, but that would have been bad. Coples is two and half years younger, more versatile, and just a better prospect.
    You beat me to it. Yes, there were reports that Rex and Tanny liked Irvin at 16.

Quote Originally Posted by TheOne View Post
    i was on the coples bandwagon prior to the draft and was more than stoked when we actually drafted him

i dont need to hear/see other articles about other players i.e. ingram, irvin etc...to know coples was the BPA and best pick for us

that said, it is nice to have some early "confirmation" coples is a beast (when compared to the recent drafted players)
    Confirmation is a bit much, and I'm not sure there's a way to comapre how he's been when comapred to Jones and Ingram, other than to say that all three have been shown to be "starter quality" so far. Irvin strikes me as a different kind of player, and Poe as a washout isn't a big surprise in his rookie season, but there's no reason to write of a DT in his rookie season, they often take more time to adjust to the NFL game.

I just want Coples to get that first sack early, just to get it out of the way.

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    You beat me to it. Yes, there were reports that Rex and Tanny liked Irvin at 16.
    I have my doubts, I thought that they "Liked" Irvin, not necessairly at 16. As in, if he was around at 48, the Jets would have gotten him, or maybe they would have moved up in round 2 if he was still around.